Is my employer legally allowed?

to tell the unemployment office I was fired due to bad work performace and suspicion off stealing. He gave me no reason when firing me, i applied for unemployment and my former employer fought it. He told the unemployment office I was fired because I was not correctly doing my job and he suspected I was stealing.... show more to tell the unemployment office I was fired due to bad work performace and suspicion off stealing. He gave me no reason when firing me, i applied for unemployment and my former employer fought it. He told the unemployment office I was fired because I was not correctly doing my job and he suspected I was stealing. He has no proof of either, is he legally allowed to tell the unemployemt officer this, they are now saying I will have to fight to recieve the benefits

I live in NY, made about $179 a week and worked there for over a year. Does anymore know much much I will recieve each week if I win?
Update: He has no proof I stole because I never did. I always did my job correctly. Also when I asked him why he was firing me he told me he just was, and never gave me a reason.