Do you lie on your CV?

Just wondering, does everyone lie on their CV and to what extent, do you make up job titles, company names, have you ever made up false references? ie - your auntie and say she was a previous employer that kind of thing.

I have extended dates to make it seem I have been places longer, i miss out all the temporary assignments as I dont want it to look as if Ive been all over the place and sometimes I change the duties to match as close as I can to the jobs im applying for!

Update:

im not job hunting I have a permanent job and am on maternity leave just now I was just curious!

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

I left school just before I was 16yrs, then when I turned 16yrs, I got a part time cleaning job. I got bored quick so always had days off saying that I was ill and ended up having around 20 different jobs.

Because of my past bad attendance at all previous jobs, I have to only put about half of the jobs down on my CV and make out I was at each job for 1-2 yrs then was laid off.

I have a job now which I have had for 1 yr and only have time off if I am very ill.

sooooo, yes. I have lied on my CV. and when it came to providing a reference, I gave them my friends mobile number and my friends then pretended to be my ex- bosses.

• andy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, the worst thing that I do is to add my temporary time into my full time employment since in two jobs I started as a temp then went full-time. I don't mention all of my jobs either, just the ones that matter since I have done temp jobs and short term jobs while getting an education for my "real" jobs.

• KJ
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I have never lied on my CV or to get a job.

If the job you are in has been obtained due to a big lie (qualification, experience, etc) and your employer finds out then they can dismiss you as you have gained employment under false pretences.

In a previous job this happened to a colleague - he had been employed as IT manager but made several very obvious mistakes. On checking up on the qualifications on his CV the main IT ones were completely fabricated (confirmed by learning institution he'd given) - he was summararily dismissed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think most people add little white lies to make theirs sound a little better, or a little more suited to the job applying for, similar to what you said. I have made up false references before, i think if they arnt going to hurt the employer if they do employ you then its not a big problem.. but probably dont say you are president of the world or something.. it may show through.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, I never have. I'm fortunate that I've never had to, I guess. Besides, I'd be afraid of being found out. A member of our city council was recently found to have lied about having a degree. He lost his job and had to pay back the bonuses he was given as a degreed professional. Not worth it, IMO.

• 1 decade ago

No. No need to lie on my CV, Anyway, if you lie about things on your CV, and the potential employer decides to verify the info on your CV, they are *not* going to hire you. Prospective employers *do* make phone calls and check those references, dates of employment, job responsibilities, etc. Good luck job hunting.

• 3 years ago

How significant is the means on your interest? are you able to verify greater to fill contained in the gaps? in case you tell them you would be fired, so attempt and concealed it and study as much as you may from people who've meaning. and don't do it back, its ok or flourish on skills, yet no longer outright lie.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

white lies yes, big whopping lies no.

you can say u were there longer and exagerate a little but they may employ you based on a responsibility that you supposedly had. what happens when they find out your not capable of the job?

keep to the truth where you can. dont mention your bad points and focus on the good bits.

• 1 decade ago

no, it actually has never crossed my mind to lie on it. I would be too afraid that they will check with past employers, etc.

• 1 decade ago

depends on the JOB.

if it were a low paid job, i'd rather lie in terms of lowering my qualifications.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.