promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Beyond Tibet, how should or could the west intervene in Chinese human rights?

I personally dont believe China is prepared to grant sovereignty to Tibet any time soon. If it did, that would not conceivably do much for human rights reform in China as a whole. We the west see no reason why China shouldnt be seen to be cleaning up their act and allow people the basic liberties we take for granted. Without defending the Chinese reigime Id like to highlight a difference between here and the east. A large part of human rights consists of workers rights. Workers in China as we know are treated extremely poorly. Infact, a major reason China is becoming an economic superpower is its cheap labour costs. Therefore, to the Chinese government, granting western rights to these people will result in powerful unions [of many many millions] which would decrease the countries global competitiveness through demand for much pay increase.

Update:

Therefore, is the longterm economic success of the west in part due to the industrial revolution arriving long before the unions gradually gained the power to allow people strike?

The richest western corporations which we support will always look for the cheapest most underprivilaged workers to make our products competitively. They will say that they must do so to survive in the global economy. Therefore, we too sponsor and benefit economically from the poor workers situation in China. What can we realistically do to encourage reform in China?

Sighting the 'freeing' of Iraq as an example of western naivity towards the longterm evolutionary process required for a creating a stable and free society; doesnt it figure that you cant just dish out civil rights in an environment which is incapable of upholding them?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

considering the size and economic power of China, the fact the UKski and USA are extremely heavily in debt tho china. and China wull nae listen to any out side interference. we can nae tax China's import market, if we did they would simply withhold trade and unfortunately the west could nae survive that. lastly with the Shear amount of debt owed by the USA and UKski to china, we could nae tax or sanction China with out risking total economic collapse when they either call in the debts or flood the world the the amount of US dollars China is holding making the dollar all but worthless and collapsing economies

we can do very little other than make noise and boycott china as a people, our governments dare not upset China for fear we the people wull find out just how much Gordonski Brownakov has lied and bankrupted the nation

Source(s): you points and observations are spot on my friend.. i agree with you
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have always thought that a tax on Chinese imports to take into account - the working conditions, pollution & human rights issues should be levied.

Their levels are not up to western standards so that one main economic advantage in under cutting Western producers, so an extra import tax could encourage china to change it's ways.

• 1 decade ago

The basic situation in Tibet has not changed since the 1950s. The US has done nothing about it because Tibet has nothing we want. The only reason attention has once again been focused on this issue is the upcoming olympic games.

We are in debt to China to the tune of billions of dollars. They own us. We are not in any position to make noises about human rights abuse (as if the US really cared about that anyway) or workers rights.

It is not the job of the US to bring democracy to the rest of the world. That has only been the excuse for all kinds of horrible actions on the part of the US over the decades. We need to let other countries determine what form of government they have, including the rights of their citizens. It's not our business.

• Habib
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It must be China that should intervene into the human rights atrocities done by USA in Afghanistan, Iraq & Israel and in the rest of the world.

Source(s): a Maverick
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

STOP BUYING CHINESE PRODUCTS.

As long as Governments, Banks,Multi-national and retailers make money out the Chinese abuses of human rights NOTHING tangible will be done.

Stop buying the products, stop the exploitation, stop the huge profits and then things will change.

The answer is in your heart, mind and wallet.

• 1 decade ago

I dont think any country wants to get involved.China is getting too big and still growing.I think its a hopeless situation and it will go on for another Century.Im sorry to say.Funny how the so UNITED NATION is missing.

• 1 decade ago

wow that is a big finding ... well thanks to you now I know where my money goes when I buy stuff made in china...

in poor words American people when they shopping they financing the rise nation !! ...the new superpower oh that is pretty cool maybe we should learn to speak Chinese....

日本語 ops wrong that is Japanese

再见 that is the one uhg ugh ugh ugh ugh

sayonara

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.