My aunt has got a rat problem in her garden, how do we get rid of them without killing them?

What we thought were rabbit holes were actually rat holes, she doesn't know yet as she isn't there atm, we just look after the cat. I know she won't want them killed, she loves all animals, but she won't want them in her garden either. I saw 2 of them, they are quite big and there seem to be a few. I haven't seen them in the house, just the garden. They are most likely attracted by the bird food put out for the chickens that sometimes come through the fence. How do we get rid of the rats without killing or harming them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Ususlly, if wild animals smell predators they'll leave the area. So, if you know anyone with coyotes or wolves, you can let them urinate in the area and that could scare the rats away.

Also, some animals watch for shadows or large predatory birds like hawks. try erecting a tall pole in the yard with a hawk-shaped cut-out on a string that can blow back and forth in the wind.

Another idea is to buy things made for gophers that occasionally thump the ground. The rats may think someone is approaching.

These ideas work for other animals, maybe rats too.

These are about as safe as you can get, it's just nature at work.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you don't exterminate them, they will eventually show up in the house. Rats have been known to kill chickens and cats....they breed so quickly that you will be totally over-run before you know it. They won't be easy to get rid of because when you get rid of the current lot, a new lot will be attracted to the food and ready-made burrows that the first group had. Really....you have to exterminate them. Good luck!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The moles show up in your yard because they've found a food source they like. Get rid of the grubs and the moles will leave. You can go to your local garden center to find various organic alternatives to rid your yard of grubs.

• 1 decade ago

Stop putting food out. If they can get food in your garden, they'll never go away.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

get a few dogs

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.