Does anyone realize that the an 18 year old that votes in 08 never saw the cold war?

Even many of the 20 + year olds dont have any idea what the cold war was like. The whole world could have come to an end in minutes and we were living our lives with that hanging over our heads 24//7. These young people have an entirely different perspective on politics than the rest of us that evolved from and some that still live in the cold war mentality.

Wow so many hostile response what is it with you people? I was simply asking that the same old way of selling a candidate is not going to work with the young people. I am all for seeing the world through the untainted eyes of these young people. Some of you people need to lay off the coffee.

Yeah, the times they are a-changin'!

I just hope we don't make up some other black-and-white, us-versus-them idea to give these people a justification for setting aside their values. Maybe we can get back to making som progress.

Just as our parents had to change their thinking when WWII was over, we who have lived through the cold war have to change our way of thinking to the reality of the day. If you think aobut it - we have been involved in war with somebody at some time ever since WWII. The "cold war" was often used as an excuse for the war. The "cold war" was also used to instill fear into Americans (I'm sure Russia used it to instill fear into their people too). Fear is an emotion, not a logical process. When people are afraid they ract and react emotionally. thereby they are more easily controlled.

Example: The Communists want to kill you. I will stop them if you do what i say. I say we must war with --. We must increase military spending. We must increase survailance of Americans. etc.

Today the "cold war" is over and there was no reason for more wars or increased military spending (Which takes away from spending on infastructure, education, research and development, social security etc etc etc) So we have developed a new fear to maintain the cold war status quo ; "Terrorists" They're everywhere, they want to kill you so you must give me not only the money, but the authority not granted in our Constitution in order to save you from this threat.

How about this for irony: This fear policy has created such a deep debt, that we are now borrowing from the largest Communist Country, China, in order to perpetuate Bush's War on the Middle East. We also recently borrowed large sums from China and Yemin (Whch is a source of support for so-called "terrorists") to bail out Wall St.

I say it is time to stop generating fear and start using our thinking, our logic to make better decisions so we can have a better future.

We were not raised during the cold war is the same as you were not raised with decent logic. So what's your point? World coming to an end soon? Don't you remember that you were ONCE an 18 year old?

edit:

and yes, everyone had already realized 18 year olds never saw the cold war long before you did.

Simple math,

2008 - 18 = 1990

They were still babies when the cold war officially ended. What's the point of asking this question? You've just wasted 5 good points

Every generation experience them differently and have their perspectives during their growing up or being there during of the time of every wars or threatening (would have to be war like Cuba Missile Crisis mid 60's) I remember the best about Vietnam War and Cuba Missile threat, because I was growing up during of this war and then witnessed the in the countries such as Germany,Belgium,Hungary, Poland, and Soviet Union separated and into their own governs instead governed by Soviet Union during 1980's than other wars.

In their school, Many of the students who even not turn 18 or 18 in school or in college use their education, and research on the global, ideological and political confrontations between East World and West world to dissolution of the Soviet Union. These 18 years will realize there is more to the Middle East where they will tell their stories to next generation of theirs. Different kind of war than we used to see in my time.

It is part of our lives in every generation and to how we want our country to be during its events of our lives.

• bwlobo

This week marks the 25th anniversary of Ronald Reagan's speech announcing the Strategic Defense Initiative, a research and development program designed to render obsolete ballistic missiles on which nuclear weapons can be carried.

At one time, we supposed we might have peace and stability with the Soviet Union on the basis of mutual vulnerability. Reagan believed it more sensible to try to defend lives with a shield than to avenge them with a nuclear sword. Rethinking the old Cold War policies of mutually assured destruction, or MAD, he saw deterrence could be strengthened with defenses that made an enemy doubt a missile attack would succeed.

We no longer have a Strategic Defense Initiative in play. The Democrats have their heads in the sand. The Liberal universities have brainwashed our college-age students into thinking we no longer need this kind of defense.

Let us admit we intend to remain vulnerable to even "accidental and unauthorized" missiles coming from Russia or China. The path of deliberate minimalism is deterred from boldly pursuing the most effective missile defense systems. Such self-deterrence did not characterize Reagan or SDI.

I think that it means they are not voting with fear like the rest of us.. So, I trust that they would support the best candidate for our country based on the facts and realities than fear. Most of the old timers are voting out of fear rather than hope.

I'm glad the young ones are supporting Obama... It shows a shift in direction of our country.. the young people are ready to turn the chapter in our nation's history..

True. They weren't raised during the Deep Depression or the laisez-faire capitalist days of the early 1900s either. I think too many people take everything workers, unions, and progressive leaders like Theodore Roosevelt and FDR worked hard for, for granted.

Yeah, but I bet you dont remember a war that went on thousands of years ago when you weren't around that could have been just as bad or worse. Everyone in the world has a different perspective of politics and the way they see things. Thats life!

I think it is great that there are people out there that didn't live during the Cold War. Now if they would just run for office and get rid of the old timers who mold all of their policies around still being at war.

What does being 18 and the cold war have to do with today, I'm not 18 and I believe the younger vote has it right. Time to get way for the OLD way of doing thing and start all over again.