Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Olympics in Beijing?

Wonder wonders how many people are aware that 1.5 MILLION residents of Beijing will be HOMELESS because the Chinese government is tearing people's homes down by the thousands, daily, to make room for the summer Olympics.

These people are left on the streets and are not given any kind of compensation.

What are your thoughts on this?

Would this affect your decision to boycott the Olympics this summer?

ABC World News Tonight aired this story last week.

Pretty Kitty: OMG! I have notheard that yet. :(((((((

ABC World News Tonight showed people crying in the streets, holding boxes, with NO place to go ... sad. :(((

I am upset upon hearing that they are also clubbing stray animals, too. :((((

I already have boycotted because they have also been clubbing the millions of stray animals to death so people won't be "appalled" by the staggering numbers of homeless animals when they get there.

• Tracy

Go Beijing Olympics! I'm watching them now!

Holy Dirty Catbox, Wonder Kat! How can they treat my future slaves and minions with SUCH disregard to life! My Human and I did NOT realize this was going on and we cry for them. On the lighter side, maybe they will use the proceeds from the games to pay for shacks for these people to live it? I HIGHLY doubt it but will remain optimistic on this. In the meantime, where will they live? Are they going to club the homeless people too? That looks really bad from a tourist standpoint. Either Homeless people or homeless animals. Geez, couldn't they have put the stadium and olympic grounds elsewhere? China is a big place. I was looking forward to watching the olympics too! Oh well, My human will just have to garden instead.

Source(s): Me and The Cat.
  • Starr

I have already boycotted as many products that are made in China that I can possibly live without. It certainly isn't going to hurt my feelings to boycott the Olympics this year. Did you see what happened in Paris? People are so pissed about Tibet that they wouldn't even let the Olympic flame pass through the city.

Sour Kitty and Pretty Kitty are right. This is an effed up world that we live in when people care more about some games than the lives of innocent people and animals.

• Rissa

Unfortunately it's easy to forget with all the controversy around China that the Olympics are about the athletes, not the place it's being held. I feel terrible for the people of China and certainly think what they're doing is disgusting, but these athletes have been training their whole lives for this moment and I don't think it would be right to take it away from them because of the behaviour of the host country. I'll be cheering Australia on when the Olympics begin...Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi.

I am desperately trying hard not to politicize the Olympics, but if this is true, I must boycott the Olympics in Beijing. My question is for those involved with the Olympics, did you not see the proposal from Beijing before you voted to have the Olympics there? It sadden me to know that all involved was so callous and uncaring for the people of Beijing that will lose their homes to a week of frivolous fun.

Yes, and that had happened to Korea too, when Korea had to build a "Jamsil Olympic Stadium" in 1988, many people lost their either loved ones or their own loved homes.

I think, in my personal opinion, those two Korea or THE CHINESE Governments should build some kind of a PROPER REFUGEE for those 1.5 Million Residents, they have so many lands to do it, especially the China...

Thank you for reading,

and God Bless and Loves you all~

I think the Chinese government didn't expect to win the bid for the Olympics and when they did, they were like "oh sh!t, now what do we do?" so they set about on a very wrong way to go about things. I envision huge revolts and terrorism happening during the Olympics. Hopefully no one but the government officials who construed this clusterf*ck gets injured, but I doubt it.

And the New Zealand government just signed the first Western free-trade agreement with China.

Thank God New Zealanders are standing up and saying that human rights abuses are okay.

If you need me, I'll be moving my business to a Chinese sweatshop.

Normally I like watching the Olympics, but this year I am boycotting it. I did read that article, too..I could not support a venue with such obvious disregard for human life..

And don't even get me started on the disregard for animal life.