Why are the buildings in Greece painted blue & white?

I love the little blue and white houses and churches in Greece. I was just wondering if there is a special reason for the Greeks to have chosen these colours.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Kimon
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It has absolutely nothing to do with the colors of the flag. It just has to do with practical reasons.

Houses in Greece are traditionally covered with a layer of plaster (Sovas in Greek). This layer is made out of calcium carbonate or lime stone. This plaster is regularly maintained by whitewashing by the same material. Now calcium carbonate is very bright white, so bright indeed that under the bright summer Greek sun can give you a headache. So people add a bit of blue color in the whitewash to "break" the brightness. So there is aways blue in the whitewash even if it looks white to you, and by adding more blue you can have nice white blue designs.

Why blue? and not green or yellow? Well actually there are green, yellow, red even purple. People were using what ever color they could find.

But blue was the most common because long time ago there was a cleaning agent called "loulaki" literally "lilac" that had that distinctive blue color. It had the texture of a toilet tablet and people using it for washing clothes and every house had some.

So you get your bucket of white wash, you drop one two tree whatever tablets of "loulaki" and away you go.

How I know all thee things? I have whitewashed my mothers house hundreds of times and still do.

• solari
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

White Buildings In Greece

• baskin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Greece White Buildings

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why are the buildings in Greece painted blue & white?

I love the little blue and white houses and churches in Greece. I was just wondering if there is a special reason for the Greeks to have chosen these colours.

Source(s): buildings greece painted blue white: https://tr.im/n5ofC
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Clara
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axgtB

No. This is a style that you find primarily in the Aegean islands. You might find some very old homes near the Acropolis in Athens that are painted white, but generally, this is an island style. What's different about Athens and Santorini? Athens is a big congested city with a wonderful history and tons of things to see and do. Santorini is more or less paradise on earth. As for whether or not it's worth it, I can't say. I've never been there. But just for the record, Greece has many islands that a just as wonderful (and a lot cheaper) than Santorini.

• 3 years ago

In pagan tradition and belief blue is the colour that does not let the daemons and the evil spirits go through. They used to wrap the new born male babies inside blue sheets, as well. The same belief can also be found behind the so called Evil Eye beads that commonly found in Anatolia, which has the same pagan roots. Actually, painting the doors blue exists in Anatolia, as well. Probably it has been carried through the Helen culture into Greece (or maybe vice versa).

Attachment image
  • 1 decade ago

Towards the end of 2005, a decision by the Greek Central Archaeological Council resulted in strong feelings and extensive debate amongst archaeologists, architects, artists and the general public in Greece. The decision was to allow use of colour in new buildings on the Cycladic island of Santorini.

The decision went against a long tradition of limiting use of colour in traditional island settlements, to white and blue. Those that argued in favour of more colour, say that the ‘white’ style is relatively modern, having been introduced in the 1930s, influenced by the Avant Garde movement and architects like Le Corbusier. Prior to that, houses in the Cyclades were coloured in ochre yellow, red earth or cobalt blue. Apparently, the combination of white and blue was introduced during the dictatorial rule of Metaxas, in a quest for order and uniformity.

Source(s): Wiki
  • 4 years ago

Use the picture of the room you have posted and go from there, use the bright colors as accents. Buy terracotta and blue decorations to bring out those colors. Also buy some art work that looks like the Mediterranean Sea.

• 1 decade ago

there are acctully a few reasons

1. the color white and blue keep house's cooler in the summer time

2. they are representive of the greek flag which represents the blue greek ocean and sky and the white clouds

• 1 decade ago

Blue and white are the colours of the greek flag

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.