ModernDivo asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Aluminium or Steel for a track bike frame?

I'm looking to buy a track frame to use for a fixed gear bicycle, mainly just for riding around town, I might race someday though. I know aluminium is supposed to give a much harsher ride, but I'm unlikely to be using it for really long rides, so I was wondering if it was significantly lighter than a good cro-mo frame. I'm really into the whole urban fixie look. All that said, however I'll probablly end up buying whatever is the cheapest track frame on ebay, seeing as I don't have a lot of money, but if I do have a choice, which should I pick, aluminium or steel?

Favorite Answer

You should know there are many subtle differences between a "track" bike and "road" bike converted to fixed gearing. While it is possible to ride a "track" bike on the road, the configuration is not really ideal.

For one, it is tough to install a brake or brakes on a track bike. Only the most die-hard fixie fans go on real roads with real cars and pedestrians without at least a front brake. So, I suggest you go for a road bike converted for a fixed gear rather than a track bike.

Anyhow, many track bikes are made of steel. Since climbing isn't a big concern with track racing, weight is not critical as it is for road riding. Steel is a strong, but flexible metal. Aluminum does not have the give of steel so it has a different, stiffer ride quality. An aluminium frame, however, will almost always be lighter unless you get some seriously high-tech, artisan made, expensive steel frame. An aluminium frame with a carbon fork will provide a nice ride. Since you will be climbing in real life riding, I'd go for an aluminium frame.

You might want to read Sheldon Brown's piece on Fixed Gear bikes:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

Hope this helps.

• Viola

My current commuting bike is a Raleigh Record Ace, it is at least 25 years old. It has some rust on the frame but is still going strong, and with a respray will most likely do another 25 years. I just sold an 18 month old Aluminium bike which had a problem with the paint coming away around a cable housing because the aluminium was oxidising at that point. Needless to say I lost a lot of money on the bike from when I bought it. I would still buy aluminium and carbon bikes but feel that a good steel frame is so much more durable.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm looking to buy a track frame to use for a fixed gear bicycle, mainly just for riding around town, I might race someday though. I know aluminium is supposed to give a much harsher ride, but I'm unlikely to be using it for really long rides, so I was wondering if it was significantly...

Source(s): aluminium steel track bike frame: https://shortly.im/FG1Eq

If you have a choice, use steel. Putting aside the weight issue for a minute, steel will give a much nicer ride and will last a lot longer.

Track bikes, by the way (and as SFR pointed out), are not really a good choice for on the road. They are very tempermental and do not respond well to things you might encounter on the road- from traffic to stop signs to potholes.

Source(s): 28 years in the industry

If your going to be putting a lot of miles on it, you want to get the Steel, no questions asked... it fits your description exactly.

keep us updated and good luck

steel - it lasts longer although it may get rusty but if you take care of it, it won't

HELLO BRO

MY EXPEREINCE ON BIKING ALONG MANY BUSY ROADS,THE BEST FRAME YOUN CAN USE IS REYNOLDS ALUMINUM OR CROMO FRAME.ITS BETTER AND RELIABLE TOO,ANYWAY!

ANMY KINDDS OF BIKES YOU CAN USE ALL OF THEM ANY BRANDS BUT!ITS BETTER IF IT FITS YOUR SIZE.BUT!BE CAREFULL TO RIDE YOUR BIKE BECAUSE IS ALWAYS DANGEROUS FOR ANYBODY

steel. its cool, and you want to be cool right ?