Jehovah's Witnesses, why do you disfellowship someone for smoking, which is not specifically condemned in the

...Bible, but do not disfellowship one for gluttony which is condemned in the Bible and your own literature:

Watchtower 3/1/06 pg 17:

"Such rejoicing as one pauses to reflect on good work accomplished is indeed refreshing, especially in pleasant association with family or friends. It may properly be viewed as a “gift of God.” Of course, the Creator’s providing so abundantly does not give us license to engage in unrestrained merriment. The Bible condemns drunkenness, gluttony, and immorality, warning that those who practice such things “will not inherit God’s kingdom.”— 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; Proverbs 23:20, 21; 1 Peter 4:1-4."

Several years ago I watched an obese elder actually have a heart attack and die at the Sunday meeting. This guy was so fat, he was a heart attack waiting to happen.

Again, how come no one is ever disfellowshipped for obeisity, which the Bible clearly condemns and yet they are for smoking, which is not specifically mentioned?

I am asking the question from the Witness literature. I don't care what the Bible says, you do.

The Witnesses say "The Bible condemns drunkenness, gluttony, and immorality, warning that those who practice such things “will not inherit God’s kingdom.”

"Not inheriting Gods kingdom" makes Gluttony no minore offense.

Homie and Conundrum: Answer the question. The Witnesses say that a glutton will not inherit God's kingdom and it is lumped with sins that are disfellowshipping offenses.

Sure, not all obeise people are so because of overesting. There is a SMALL percentage that have soem medical issue.

Most are such because they shovel linguine and twinkies down their gaping maw.

I have never heard of anyone being disfellowshipped for obeisity.

WRY, again, ther Bible doesn't mention smoking. The WT lit says gluttons will not inherit the kingdom.

No explanation yet.

Explain why JW's do not disfellowship for gluttony but do for smoking?

Maybe the Governing Body owns stock in Twinkies but not in tabbaco?

I am continually amazed by the complete lack of reading comprehension skills demonstarted by the various answers on this site.

I am not saying anything. I am asking why JW's do not treat two comparable sins, both of which they say will keep you from inheriting the kingdom, in the same manner.

PEDI C: That could be the reason!!

I know many an Elder who is a twinkie away from the resurection

Great question and I always ask them that when they stop by and they have no answer, by the way C. T Russell smoked a pipe and J Rutherford smoked Cuban cigars. If they are in heaven and they smoked Jesus Christ is going to have a headache trying to figure this one out. A sin is a sin not just for a few but for all, maybe they lost their place in heaven. Hey the pope just came up with some new sins so every body is jumping on the band wagon. i might post some new sins next week, i need your help!

So you're assuming all obese people are gluttons? Hmmm. From what I can tell, food is not as addictive as cigarettes? It's easier for a glutton to stop being a pig.

Anyway the bible says something about don't defile your body, something like that. If you've been around Jehovah's Witnesses long enough, you should really know.

It comes from the words of Jesus..."know ye not your body is a temple?"...and a temple is considered to be the place where man communes with God...should not be defiled...

I'm not Jehovah's Witness but even I know that...

Being Obese does not mean one is a Glutton, it could be a health problem which is Not related to overeating at all. Do some research on Obesity BEFORE posting Nonsense.

Very simple answer:

The governing body (the decision makers for the WBTS/JW's) votes on everything.

These men make the rules up as they go along.

Only when they are called on the carpet, or receive bad press do they consider revising (or receiving "new light") on any previous decision they have made.

Obviously, this is a man-made, man-following religion and not led by the Holy Spirit as they claim.

Source(s): JW for 30+ years, glad I escaped.
  • Lynn C

We should not judge others, have we forgotten the verse, don't accuse your friend of having a speck in their eye, if you have a log in your own, the only thing we should do, is witness, and serve, not judge.

Gluttony is but a minor sin.

Whereas smoking is bad. Read yer freakin Bible.

• PediC

because the WBTS doesn't own stock in Phillip Morris Co?

its like the the evangelical's "rapture" ....each denomination has its own little extra-biblical doctrine to make it individually "special" ...its own 'raison d'etre' if you will... (along with homophobia)

:-)