Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Have you ever stolen fruit or vegetables from your next-door-neighbor?

(Do you know a few Bible references to this question?)

The Bible reference is thou shalt not covet what is thy neighbours!

Only once. I was four months pregnant and very poor. I suddenly got a terrible craving for fresh beet greens, something I had not had since I left the farm where I grew up. It was one o'clock in the morning and I just couldn't sleep. All I could think about were the lovely beets growing just over the fence in my neighbours garden. I couldn't take it anymore. I climbed the fence, pulled three beets out of a huge row of them, climbed back and ran to my house. I cleaned and cooked them and wolfed them down. They stayed with me all of 15 minutes before I had to donate them to the porcelain god in the bathroom. So much for the beets. However, it satisfied my craving and I could sleep. I compounded the crime by never owning up. Whenever I had something missing from my yard I would always think that someone probably needed it more than me and I hoped that they could sleep now!! LOL

Thanks for the memory. Star for you!

No, I have not stolen fruit or vegetables from my next door neighbor.

This is one area of the Bible when God gives instructions to Moses to pass along to His people. This takes place during the early times of the Exodus. It concerns lands they will conquer in the future and what they should do with that land.

A few verses:

Deuteronomy Chapter 6

1)1 Now this is the commandment, the statutes, and the ordinances, which Yahweh your God commanded to teach you, that you might do them in the land where you go over to possess it.

10) It shall be, when Yahweh your God shall bring you into the land which he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give you, great and goodly cities, which you didn't build.

11) and houses full of all good things, which you didn't fill, and cisterns dug out, which you didn't dig, vineyards and olive-trees, which you didn't plant, and you shall eat and be full.

Of COURSE, Everyone knows that the sweetest apples are the ones that have been stolen off of the neighbor's trees.

Brightest Blessings,

Raji the Green Witch

I've never stolen anything from neighbors. My current neighbors happen to be my inlaws and they give me fruits and vegetables all the time whether I want them or not.

We used to make gangs of children when I was small to go and steal all kinds of fruit from neighbors and non-neighbors, lol....It was fun. In a year more about 30 raids for fruits,lol.

• Mr.bea

Oh yes! first check the ten commandments. My neighbors and I have an understand. If we need something and they art home we use the keys they have given us and borrow it. If it's fruit or veggies we may take a few. They may do the same with ours.

Nope. I was often allowed to go over and pick apples, wild strawberries, even a melon out of the field across the street, but never stole any.

• CC

No. I have been given fruit from my neighbor's tree. However, that was given by them, and not stolen.

Source(s): An atheist perspective.

I have offered and received from my next door neighbor.

No, but we had an neighbor who stole from us. Too bad he didn't know he was stealing hot peppers. The screams gave him away. :D