vw golf tdi diesel wont start?

mk 4 , theres plenty of life in the batterry, but just wont catch on turning over, it seems to be an intermittant problem, seems alright starting from cold.any ideas, thanks.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Quie Possibly glow plugs or glow plug control circuit gone down

email me via my profile if you need details of how to check

Good Luck

Mike

• 1 decade ago

Try pre warming the plugs first just in case, (swith on ignition wait for glow plug light to go out, switch off and repeat)

Possible fuel blockage, coil pack,, glow plug etc etc.... be honest a multitude of things this could be, so a diagnostic would be best... see below

I suggest looking at uk-mkivs.net, there will be much better info and help there, Plus many people with the same issue

There is also a listing of people who own the diagnostic software,

Sometimes they charge a few beer tokens some do it for free for the kick of helping a fellow golf owner

hope this helps

Source(s): uk-mkivs.net
  • 1 decade ago

is there any power to the bus bar , try a jump lead of the plus terminal onto the end of a glow plug hold it there for five seconds then get in and try to start it, if it starts then its either glow plug relay or theres a 50 amp fuse, my was on the bulkhead in the middle of the car, my car is a mk3 golf tdi, but yours will be same procedure on starting

• 1 decade ago

I had a similar problem with my old Mk3 tdi, it turned out to be one of the relays in the fuse holder under the dash board.

I cant remember which one, but if its intermittent you might find that flicking these relays with your finger may get you by until you find a replacement

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

glow plugs maybe?

It's unusual for a diesel to start from cold, but not from hot.

In my book , "intermittent" nearly always means "electrical".

Source(s): mk 4 golf TDi
  • 1 decade ago

squirt a little starting fluid in the air filter and it should fire right up.

girl above, there are no spark plugs on a diesel

• 1 decade ago

Get some easy start, spray it up the air inlet. This should work!!

Source(s): Personal experience, snuff always works!
  • Haza
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It could be an intermittent fault with your immobliser.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hi there i might be the fuel pump the diesel might not be gtting up propably or it could be the spark plugs get your local mechanic to have a look for you

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Try the heaters

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.