#2 is a GIRL!!! asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog has bad alergies causing him to scratch. Help!?

I have a dog that has really bad allergies causing him to scratch. The problem is that he scratches so much that he cut him self the other day. I put some peroxide on it. Does anyone know any thing I can give him? Can I give him benadryl?

That is a very easy question to answer. My dog has horrible allergies too. He always bites and liks his paws. You should take your dog to the vet and get it some allergy shots. My mom has to give my dog a shot every month.

PS: I know a lot about dog allergies because my dog is elergic to all meat except for pig, fish, and dairy.

I don't want to worry you, but I had to put my basset hound to sleep b/c her allergies were horrible. She was allergic to pretty much everything. I had expensive allergy testing done (which I'm glad i did, so i know i did what i could ) and gave her allergy shots for a year and it just didn't help my poor baby! It was devastating. They also gave her a couple of shots of either steroid or cortisone, ( i can't remember ). The first shot helped but the second didn't. I started out putting hot spot medicine on her (the kind that doesn't sting and you can get it over the counter) that helped, but had to put it on her everyday. She finally started getting cysts type bumps all over her back near her tail. It was awful and such a hard decision to make to put her down, but i truly believe she had suffered long enough. With all this said, please take it very serious and take your dog to the vet. Maybe if I would have gotten her help sooner the vet could've gotten it under control. And definitely have your dog on some good flea medicine and keep your dog's nails short which will help the dog not hurt himself/herself so much when scratching. And don't feed your dog table scraps b/c there may be something in that causing allergic reactions. I wish you well.

• bob ©

do not use peroxide! i agree with the first poster, you need to find the source of your dogs allergies. it could be environmental, food, or both. you can use benadryl, but there are better, more effective antihistamines available from your vet. you could also try doing a food trial at home to determine if it is a food allergy. feed a hypoallergenic food (no beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, corn, wheat, soy, or by products) for at least 8 weeks to see if the problem improves at all. you need to take him to the vet and get some sort of relief for him. also, if the vet prescribes steroids for him and the itching stops, your dog more than likely has environmental allergies, but there are ways to help that as well without having to keep him on steroids.

Take him to the vet. The vet can help you find what's causing the scratching and tell you the best way to treat it.

Sometimes Benadryl is okay, but only your vet can tell you how much to give. And there are other things your vet can try.

Your vet will give you a prescription for doggie benadryl. I gave it to my dog. I also switched her kibble from Nutro to Eukanuba for Sensitive Skin and started bathing her with oatmeal shampoo for dogs. You wouldn't believe the difference this has made. Hardly ever scratches herself anymore.

Are you sure he doesnt have fleas? Some dogs are more sensitive and can scratch so hard they cause sores on their body. If he isnt currently taking a vet strength (no, that stuff from walmart doesnt work) then get him started on Frontline, Advantage or Revolution today.

• Vivian

You have to find the cause of the problem to treat it. See the vet, they can run tests to determine if it's something in his enviornment or something he is eating. Then you can get proper treatment.

Only your vet can tell you if Benadryl is right for your dog and the proper dosage.

• Laura

The vet can perscribe you allergy medicine for your dog. Go ahead and make an appointment so you get the right dosage of whatever it is your dog needs.

do you know for sure it's alergies.i would talk to a vet.your poor dog's probably driving himself mad.in the mean time try mittens on his paws.. i know it might sound a bit daft but if it stops himself hurting himself it must be worth a try.

you should not give animals people med.take your dog to the vet