Should the 2-term limit on US presidents be abolished?

It just seems undemocratic. If the people want someone for a third term then let them.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Yes - but the 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution would have to be repealed. Notice how Congress doesn't limit their own terms.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Term limits limit democracy since the people of a particular congressional district (Congressman) or state (Senate) would not be allowed to vote for the candidate that they choose. However since the power to raise funds is greatly enhanced by incumbency and that makes it difficult to vote out a sitting Congressman or Senator term limits might be a solution. Of course if the last election is an indicator, where many veteran office holders lost their seat, the argument that incumbency is an unfair advantage is weakened. Remember that people that complain about long serving Congress-members like Nancy Pelosi forget that the people of her district keep reelecting her, and she represents them not everyone else. Regardless if you support term limits or not, the only way to impose them is through a Constitutional Amendment. State Term limit laws that apply to Congress have been struck down by the Supreme Court, only the Constitution can set the qualifications for office so term limits must be made part of the Constitution via the Amendment process.

• 1 decade ago

We got lucky with FDR... I think they did the right thing in amending the Constitution. I think term limits help to follow Jefferson's vision of a government that would change with the times and needs of the nation, and it also prevents stagnation. Sure, someone might be competent to serve more than 2 terms, but it is a stressful job and wears on them. I think its best for everyone if the limits remain.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Never.

Our seeming "control" as the "will of the people" has taken a very blatant & direct hit in recent years. It is hard to imagine, for example, endless years of Bush, Jr.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO. It creates an atmosphere of Dictatorship. Could you imagine where we would be with 4 more years of Bush? Holy Moley!

• DAR
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, because the process isn't democratic in how it preserves the incumbant and entrenched interests, to begin with.

And I think we need to adhere much more strongly to our Constitution, not deviate from it.

• 1 decade ago

Sometimes it isn't the 'peoples' vote that gets them in. It might give too much to 'special interests' and Lord knows we don't need more of that.

• Sami V
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, instead the duration should be increased to five years instead of the present four!

• MFD
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think we are better off without a President.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bush would be elected for life

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.