Parents pick prayer over medicine - 11 year old pays the price. Disturbing?

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/27/america/...

Is this not one of the most disturbing things you've ever read? How is it that people can get so brainwashed that they won't even go to the doctor? The parents of this child should be punished SEVERLY.

It really ticks me off to no end that some people can't think for themselves and are unable to distinguish fantasy from reality. Sadly, these people don't even think they broke the law.

It's unfortunate that an innocent 11-year old has to pay the price for her parents when "the family believes in the Bible and that healing comes from God"

Favorite Answer

Yeah, those poor excuses for existance were responsible for the girls death.

I'm surprised the girl didn't force them to take her, I mean, I would've.

Also, I don't think they are criminals and should go to jail. They have other kids, and jail time would seperate them from their kids. But they should be made fun of, egged, raped in front of each other..and whatnot.

Fyah-Don't be an idiot, I'm 100% sure their other kids love them very much.

What's up with people saying the parents are murders? Murder, to me, is killing someone with every intention..mwuaha haha!!!

This is just stupidity that deserves eternal being made fun of.

I am a Christian and I do understand what you mean. It is very sad that the child has to suffer. Praying is always a good thing to do first. God can show himself in miracles, but sometimes God says no. Not because he is a mean, evil God, but because some people use him as a genie, and that's not what he is. If God wanted to heal the child he would have, but he had other plans. He wanted the child with him. Now the parents should have known better and when they saw that their child was not being healed they should have taken that baby to the doctor. People like that are what gives God and his followers a bad name. Not everybody who calls themselves Christians really are. And not all Christians are like these parents. God bless.

• Shilo

Yes, this is a very sad and distubing story. However, this type of thing has not occurred in isolation. Throughout history, people have been disappointed that their prayers were not answered - over and over. On the other hand, many people have experienced what they consider healing "miracles." Sometimes, it is so easy to attribute a positive outcome to the power of prayer and the goodness of God, but when the outcome is negative, then God's healing power is dismissed and everyone involved is crazy or neglectful.

Source(s): This is personal to me as I was raised a Christian Scientist. Ironically, I chose nursing as a career. There is a fine line between the spiritual and the physical. Believe me, that family is suffering right now - in the worst way possible. Please reserve and conserve your judgment.

Unfortunately, not all people believe in using mainstream medicine, myself included. I know that sometimes people do need more than some concoction from the kitchen, but most have become too relied on medication to fix problems that simple lifestyle changes can fix.

It is a personal choice and I feel sorry for the people who judge these parents decision to depend on their faith. Karma isn't always nice.

As a Christian, I do find it disturbing and upsetting to read such a story!! And as crazy as it may sound... still understand the parents thinking!!

I truly believe in the power of prayer, and have experienced myself, healing through prayer, as have many people I know. I have experienced the miraculous in my own life, and seen it in the life of others. God really can heal the sick!! But, I have to admit… in most cases I have experienced … this healing has come, after ‘Medical Diagnosis’!!

I am a believer in God… I am also a believer in 'Doctors'!! While I will obviously pray for the healing of, for example my child... I will also, as soon as my child shows signs of being unwell, 'Use Common Sense' and seek medical attention/diagnosis. Some people will tell me, this shows lack of faith, or belief that God can heal ... I will say it also shows faith and belief in the God given skills of the doctor, and common sense!!

I know some will say this is a cop out…

But I believe God always answers prayer: But God answers in His own time, In His own way, and in accordance with His will… Not Ours!! And he answers using any method He chooses… including doctors!!

Did God prevent me from dieing of an overdose: according to medical science, Yes: as what I took should have killed me, or caused me serious damage, but I am fine!! My experience was a direct touch from the Lord!! Did God or Medication heal my friends of Cancer? I truly don’t know, but praise God, in both cases, they are now well. Why does God seemingly allow one man to be healed of cancer, but yet let another man die? Why did this young girl not survive? Again I do not know… but do I loose faith in God? No, as hard as it is, I just trust God knows best.

I wish that some "believers" believed as you do- Prayer is not getting God to do our will, it is getting us ready to do His. And I can tell you from experience- God uses doctors. I am a strong supporter of prayer- actually God gave me a passion for it- however He also has given the doctors gifts to use to heal. So do not judge all believers in God , as you read stories like these- I would never NOT pray, but I would never NOT seek medical help either.

After cancer and heart disease, the biggest cause of death in the United States is the medical profession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iatrogenesis#Incidenc...

Do you realize that the media, if they wanted to, could literally every single day run a headline like, "Parents pick medicine over prayer -- child pays the price."

Source(s): A third-generation atheist

Yeah they should be punished but they won't. The judges will assume that the parents had good intention and the judges will not bring this to trail. Trust me on this. Also it is a shame that people think that prayer will save their kids. Hopefully the people who read this news article will soon realize that medicine is important. Or maybe religious people will not read it because the news is related to the devil therefore to their logic it is the devil!

The quail of doom thinks christians should have to follow one or the other. Too bad the child didnt really have a choice in the matter. if they arent hypocrites, they will sacrifice themselves for not praying hard enough.

What they should have done is taken the child to the doctor, and prayed for her and the doctors while she was being treated. God did not create science for nothing.