Why do people have to verbally attack other religions so much?

I've joined Yahoo! Answers a few hours ago and while browsing through questions there seemed to be a common theme in which people have a need to say christians are stupid/brain washed, catholics need to be shot, blatantly state their god doesn't exist (theres nothing wrong with that but >>>) and then insult and slander them so much that you have to scroll down to read the rest of their comment (maybe just little bit exagerated ^_^, but you get the picture.)

I know that i've only mentioned christians because thats the only type i've seen but im sure other religions share this problem, which I'll have to look into.

Anyway, /why/ is it that people have to 'attack' other religions, even those who don't follow a religion seem to need to do this. I mean why can't we just accept that people beleive different things and then point out why we dont share their beliefs, nicely, rather then mock and insult them? (I know not everyone does this)

(If it helps you, im christian)

Edit - Sorry if it wasn't clear, I didn't say christians don't do any of the above and im sure that many actually provoke other people, but I guess that somewhere its got to start to settle down.

Favorite Answer

Welcome to the world of questions. you'll get use to it but yeah it's pretty bad that people do that but we should just keep going on and keep believing despite peoples opinions.

Being new to the forum I understand that you question this. The point here is that it isn't just the Christians who are "attacked". As you continue you will find they do a lot of attacking themselves.

The problem comes from believing that you are completely right about your spirituality therefore everyone else is wrong. Rather than saying that it is their belief that something is this way or that, they (many many ppl) say things as if they know a universal truth rather than a truth for them. When someone believes that their truth is the only way, the only one, then they believe that everyone else who does not believe as they do is wrong. And human nature seems to insist that they tell everyone how wrong they are and how right their own truth is.

In other words, you can't be right if they aren't wrong and vise versa.

Believing something is fine, it is your own personal truth but that doesn't mean that everyone shares your view. If you are looking for a forum that is strictly one way, it won't be under a generalized category of religion and spirituality.

I know that I, and a lot of people like myself, come on here to vent some steam and have a little fun. I always try to make sure and let whoever I am answering know when I am being sarcastic, but sometimes I am insulted by the way that the questions are worded, which was the poster's intentions. Atheism vs. Christianity is an ongoing theme in here, so you had better get used to it. There are several "Christians" in here who dish it about as much, so don't think they are innocent. Besides, I, personally, am sick of people proselytizing to me when I ask a serious question, like once when I asked one in the Mental Health section about the depression I have been diagnosed with, and some guy in there told me just to turn to Jesus. Thanks for nothing...

Well, the reasons are varied, I'm sure. But I think two principal reasons are that (1) some people simply do not know how to reason with the use of God's word the Bible and their frustration manifests itself in their need to ridicule and deride; and (2) some do not know how to deal with a logical, rational argument so they simply attack the person. The religious leaders used to do that to Jesus all the time. When they could not refute his scriptural arguments, they simply called him names and ridiculed him, deriding him for lacking an education at the 'rabbinical schools.' And finally, some people actually hate particular religious groups.

Hannah J Paul

Because religious people continue to interfere with the lives of other people just trying to have a good time who do not share the same beliefs as christians/muslims/jews/etc. It is for this reason, and others, that religion must be put in it's proper place: directuly under the godless heel of my boot.

Well you see part of it is the fact that Christians are trying bring to about their end times non sense. This is the only group of people that would give each other high fives when they see mushroom clouds in the distance and think it was Jesus coming back.

It gets nasty when we start using pitchforks...