What is with some Non-Catholic Christians and the Catholic Church?

I can understand that some people are not Catholic and for whatever reason believe something else. What I don't understand is why some feel the need to come up with lies or at the very least gross misconstructions of Catholic teaching in order to make themselves at peace with themselves not being... show more I can understand that some people are not Catholic and for whatever reason believe something else. What I don't understand is why some feel the need to come up with lies or at the very least gross misconstructions of Catholic teaching in order to make themselves at peace with themselves not being Catholic.

Case in point: At my cousin's Congregational church, the pastor has a Catholic background. Whenever I go there, I am more than likely to hear something untrue about Catholicism, be it that we worship Mary(we don't), that we added books to the Bible(we didn't), that we regard the Pope to be perfect(we don't - papal infallibility is very limited and is very, very rarely used), or some other caricature of ancient Catholic teachings and practices.

So, basically, my question is: Why spend so much energy perpetuating lies about Catholics?