Non-Christians, how do you deal with this?

I've just recently announced that I am no longer a christian because of the many problems with the bible and the faith overall. But now that I've told people this, (just simply stating that I am no longer Christian, in a nice way) I've been becoming more and more rejected by people who I thought really cared about me (living in a small community makes it really bad). At school people shout at me in the halls that I'm going to hell. My family's starting to shun me. Even Facebook friends have started to delete me from their friends list. I havn't criticized anyone at all for being christian.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? How do/did you deal with it?

PLEASE NO PREACHING.

Guy with the girl: thanks for not preaching ;)

Yeah, actually I do live in the Midwest... Wisconsin

Thank you all for the kind answers.

Favorite Answer

Well, I never faced such persecution when I turned my back on faith. Occasionally I'd get a few people in conversation who'd would talk like they had tickets on the Jesus ride and I didn't, but there was no outright hatred. I guess in Australia we generally don't much care what a person believes or doesn't believe when it comes to God.

If people have taken the decision to ostracise you because you decided to think differently...it's their problem. All persecution should do is show up in sharp focus how hypocritical it is for these people to be adherents to a faith that professes to be all about love...shouting that you're going to hell. Way to love, people.

Be strong. You have no-one to answer to but yourself. You've made a very brave decision and you should be rightly proud.

Yes and no. I didn't "come out" until well after I graduated high school mainly because I was a Christian up until about a yeat after I graduated.

Every now and then someone finds out that I'm pagan and attempts to give me the cold shoulder. The problem is that they are outnumbered. Most people know me and like me and could care less that I believe in Thor. It's not like I talk about it to them, unless they ask. I'm your standard stay at home mom. One lady tried to "shun" me and looked pretty stupid in the process.

All of my friends are either pagan, atheist or agnostic to be honest. Some of my high school fundie friends still have me on thier myspace but we don't talk often. We never did though so it's not a big loss. They've known me most of our lives and it's hard to see me as "evil" when I'm dressed in old navy and flip flops. You start to find real amusement in it all acutally. LOL

Oh and you can always qoute Matthew 7:1-4. That always throws them for a loop too.

Source(s): Norse Heathen

>>Has anyone else experienced something similar? How do/did you deal with it?<<

Nope. Why? I don't tell folks. The truth of the matter is (and I know this will stoke the Xians but statistically it is TRUE) is that Xians are very frightened and close minded people.

It scares them to death that someone might not believe...I think they think they can "catch it" like herpes or the flu. So, they distance themselves ... it also gives them a little self rightous kick sometimes. Plus, everyone loves a drama.

Once you tell, you can't "untell". I simply refuse to discuss religion in mixed company and if the topic comes up I refuse to hand them a label to pin to my chest.

It is easier to walk amongst the sheep when they are not aware you are a wolf. Even a nice friendly wolf will scare them to death.

People who do this are not good friends. It still hurts I know. I would remind them that you expect them to honor your right to make your own choice as you support theirs, other than that you don't want to fight about. That is what religious freedom is all about. I think they will get bored of it and leave you be in time unless they get a reaction. When they act this way they are really reflecting badly on their religion and demonstrating the hypocrisy that crops up often between the love they claim their beliefs is about and their actions. I find that I just don't bring beliefs up. When others do I say I'm not religious myself and just don't find the topic interesting. I prefer to focus our relationships on the things we do have in common. If someone pushes I will share that I don't believe and why and if they can't accept it or leave it than there probably is not much of a basis for the relationship anyway. Its hard when you are in a small and religious community and especially still in school. You will make other more open friends though. I suggest joining clubs, charity organizations, or hobby groups in things you are interested in. That way you have an shared interest outside of religion so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm sorry you are having this problem. Just be strong in yourself. Good luck.

First off. It will not be ok, especially for a small community full of christians. You will loose friends and aquantiences because of how you don't feel as strong about the christian religion as they do. Even if they're sinners. They WILL assume things about you like you worship the devil or something just because you aren't christian. You don't deal with it, you just live. You can't not mind them and what they think about you because just about everyone is talking about it.Just stand up for yourself. Im not saying fight everyone who talks, just don't take anything from anyone just because of the situation you are in.It is going to be hard and I am sorry if you didn't want me to give it to you straight and raw.

Source(s): Me.

I can't give you much useful advice but I've been there in a lot of ways. I was brought up christian but found paganism is much closer to what I truely believe. Being bisexual I have been shunned by both straights and gays (not saying all, but some of each). I've been pushed aside so often in my life that it just kind of slides off now. I have a very few close friends and don't pay much attention to what most people think.

• Aravah

answer: I stay strong, find friends that believe as I do and find a good support system. Just hang in there. You didn't say if you're agnostic, atheist or pagan - find a Yahoo group that believes as you do.

It should get easier once you're out of highschool.

Right now, just try and get through. Find those who don't care if you believe as they do.

# # #

Guy w/g and NY - why is that Christians just can't stop preaching even when asked not to? Leave the girl alone, she's had enough of your types.

Source(s): Reconstruct Heathen

Yes, certainly is a problem. Best to not just say anything and you don't get the "look" or the preaching. Funny how these so called christians are very quick to judge and hate, when their own religion teaches not to do either. But then, that is another flaw in their "belief" in that few actually practice it in real life, it is more of a social status thing.

It sounds like people are uncomfortable because they thought they knew who you were and now you have told them that you aren't who they thought you were! Some people may never be able to accept your decision to no longer be a Christian. Other people may just need some time to adjust. As for people telling you that you are going to hell...stand strong and "to hell with them"..ha ha. I come from a large city so I don't always understand small town dynamics. Good luck!

Yes. I'm 39 & am not married, don't want kids, & mind my own business. When people bring up church, they find out I don't attend or care about that sort of thing. This has led to my being laid off from 2 jobs now! People are so damn scared of what they can't relate to that they're actually resorting to guerilla tactics! Apparently I must make apologies for my lack of interest in their children & their faith, such as it is. These people are scared little boys & girls, so be gentle with them. Their fragile faith won't stand up to any kind of real scrutiny.

I like to remind them that Jesus hung out with poor people & whores, also men who wore makeup, then ask them how many people they prayed for today? That usually shuts them up, but also pisses them off. Maybe you can find a smoother way of dealing with this culture war.