The Black #3 is returning to NASCAR!?

The No. 3 has been placed into a reverent semi-retirement in the seven years since Earnhardt's death in 2001. A racecar, mostly black, with a white No. 3 on the side will be returning to NASCAR on April 19, 2008 driven by Austin Dillon, Childress' bright-eyed, 17-year-old grandson.

What are your thoughts on this news?

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/features/03/20/adi...

Favorite Answer

I think the number three should be retired permanently and put in the hall of fame..Every time I look at that car I will think of Dale,not the current driver.

• Sheila

I think the best way to honor Sr. would be to put his number back on the track. I think it would be most fitting if it was another Earnhardt, but regardless it would be cool. Besides it being a good tribute, he wasn't the first to drive the #3. The #28 is still raced, the #42 is still raced, the #45 is still raced, albeit by another Petty. I think Richard Childress will let his grandson use it in cup when he gets to that point. Maybe by then everyone will be able to accept it, because there are going to be alot of old school hard core Sr. fans that are going to be pissed.

I think it's time to bring back the #3, you can't retire it and you can't change that. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that it is a black car. I feel that Richard has just as much into the #3 as Dale did, so he should use it when he feels it's the right time. Not to mention that if I was in Heaven and looking down on Richard, I would smile when the 3 hit the track for the first time since my death and say "Damn that was a great ride".

The number 3 belongs to the France family and it is franchised out to the Childress organization, but I believe it will happen and here is why, the biggest thing propping up DEI now is little black toy race cars with a 3 on the side and Teresa makes money off of every one. If he puts another car on the track that one is HIS and slows her revenue stream. It makes great business sense, if the France family allows it.

Source(s): no fan of Teresa

The way I think about it is, its not being used in the cup series. So its not really the symbolic 3. Every weekend in any state, any track you go to you will more than likely see that 3 on any car. I've been to some tracks where it has been on more than one car. One race I went to the driver even painted the car exactly like Dale Sr's. So yes its Childress' grandson but its not Dale's car he's driving. Its a number. A special number but it should be able to be used.

Awesome news....What better way to celebrate the number of a legend, than to give it to a brand new driver to start off his career.

I will probably get a lot of thumbs down for this, but remember, Dale Sr didn't always have the #3 at the Cup level.

I miss Dale Sr as much as the next guy, but it's time to move on. If death were the criteria for retiring a number, then #28 would get my vote (Both Davey Allison and Kenny Irwin were driving that number)

And if there's any number which deserves to be retired first, it's not the #3, but the #43.....ya'll know who made that number famous.

I say what difference does it make.First the kid is geetting all kinds of attention which is good for him.Second he has an attachment with the #3 from his previous racing and such.Look I am sorry SR is dead but he made his mark it really doesnt matter who drives a car with the #3 on it there is a 99% chance they will NEVER live up to what SR did therefore he will be forever in the shadow of #3.It really doesnt matter it is just a stinking number.The Drivers are what is important.The drivers leave a mark.The numbers can and will be reused. And lets face it folks, More drivers are going to be hurt an probably killed in nascar.Numbers have been and will be reused.

They are never going to retire the #3 so if it is used by Childress`s grandson who can stop it. I think it`s time to bring it back, It`s been sitting idle for 7 years now = to Dale Sr. `s championships, I think it would be a good thing to see the black #3 back on the track . They retire #`s in different sports all the time, but each team has from 00 to 99 to work with ,NASCAR has around 16 teams all working off the same group of #`s. Just my opinion.

I know a lot of people have an emotional attachment with that number, but honestly, I don't mind. Yes, when I see the 3, I too think Dale, with the way it's tilted and stuff. It would be nice to see the 3 back out on the track. I miss seeing it.

I don't know what the big deal is. Childress used the number 3 long before Earnhardt began driving for him. The number 8 has always been associated with the Earnhardt clan. Dale Senior's number on his first car (a pink '56 Ford) was K2.

The number three in the style (font) and colors that Dale Sr. used are the property of DEI.

• It's all a matter of perspective, us older fans from the 60's will always think of Junior Johnson as number 3, but did we raise a stink when The Instigator started driving 3 and shout "You can't do that that's Junior's old number"? NO we moved on and got over it drivers come and go but the numbers stay the same. I say bring on the 3, great to see it back, with anybody but an Earnhardt driving it!!!!!!!!!