Does anyone know the real story behind Obama's grandmother's comments he mentioned in his speech?

In Obama's speech he made this comment about his 85 yr old white grandmother:

"a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

But, according to Obama's 1995 book, it is not at all true that she "once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street." Instead, she once confessed her fear of one aggressive black beggar who didn't pass by her but instead confronted her, demanded money, and then gave her -- an intelligent, level-headed woman who had worked her way up to a mid-level corporate management position -- good reason to believe he would have violently mugged her if her bus hadn't pulled up.

Do you feel this misrepresentation of the truth in his speech is a good indication of his character?

Blaqking- looks like you are still up and found my ? interesting enough to answer-Were you there?

DF- My character is not intact? I take that as a compliment from someone that lacks reading comprehension skills such as yourself. Where in my statement did I say he only had 1 conversation with his grandmother?? That's right I did not. Your assumption is absurd and baseless.

Yutsnark- the passage is pgs 88-91. No, I did not waste my $ on the book. Here is the link:

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2008/03/obama-throws-hi...

• ?

his whole speech was spin and he said he denounced 'most' of what Wright said in his statements then preceded to defend and justify them.

he had the 'audacity' to compare Wright incendiary statements to his grandma's fears but didn't defend her and basically called her a racist.

i think he misrepresents the truth constantly with eloquent sound rhetoric.

as a woman, i would fear any group of men and walking past them alone in certain situations as we hear daily in the news of mugging and killings, these are valid fears in today's times.

I know you've read the book, as I have, but maybe you're not remembering it well. The anecdote is on page 88.

Yes, she had been confronted by a rather pushy beggar, who happened to be black. She told Barrack's grandfather that this had been so scary, that she now wanted him to drive her to work. Gramps and grandma (Toots) got into an argument about that. Gramps insisted that Toots had been confronted by many panhandlers before, but had got freaked out this time, just because the beggar was black. I don't know whether Gramps' conclusion was right. But Barack was a kid at the time, overhearing the argument. You can imagine how hurtful this must have been for him.

Now in his speech, he acknowledges that this had been just the tip of the iceberg -- that on other occasions, Toots had used racial stereotypes. (This is not a contradiction, but an elaboration.)

Still, he continued to love Toots, despite her shortcomings. And he urges us to do the same -- to be forgiving and gentle with one another. That's not so bad, is it?

EDIT: It would be unfortunate if people rely on the hate-filled website you linked, instead of reading the book. I'm not saying that you should support Obama. Just read what he *really* said, in the proper context, and then make up your own mind.

• canam

It certainly is a misrepresentation of the truth. A man who chooses his pastor over his country does not deserve to be commander in chief. And that is exactly what he did. His speech on race was a cop out because he did not want to address the antiamerican, antimilitary slander. He did not want to address the fact that pastorgate accused our military of killing innocent people and dropping bombs without batting an eyelash. He gave no credit to the people who have lost their lives for the freedoms we enjoy in this country.

I know you don't have a clue to the relationship Obama had with his grandmother. Surely you don't think he had only one conversation with his grandmother. His character is intact yours on the other hand needs work.

If Obama was a Republican, the news media would have picked this speech into tiny pieces already - just like you're doing.

It ain't gonna happen.

Hardball did an entire story tonight about McCain saying Sunni when he shoulda said Sh'ia. He corrected himself immediately, but that didn't stop Obama from using the error on the stump in NC all day. And didn't stop Chris Matthews from mocking McCain.

Obama threw Grannie under the bus for political gain. This isn't the first lie, won't be the last.

Just don't expect to hear anything about it on MSNBC, CNN, or any of the mainstream media. If you hear it on FOX, they'll say it's because they're dirty racists.

• Rose

You really expect him to have recorded all of his grandmother's experiences in the book? Do you really not believe that she didn't make racial slurs that made him cringe?

Obama tells whatever lie he thinks will fool enough people to get him elected.

the real story is the one that obama told.

if obama is 46, that would mean his grandmother is probably in her 80s.

her generation was vastly different from her daughter's and from obama's.

whereas she was comfortable around her bi-racial grandson because she knew him, it is definitely not uncommon for her to have had ill-feelings around other black men she didn't know.

Yes, it gives a very clear window into his character.

I knew that there was something fishy about what he said the other day about his grandmother.

I seriously doubt that ANY grandmother would ever say anything bad about ALL black people to her grandson -- when that grandson is half black!

I mean, come on. If I had a Japanese grandparent, I seriously doubt she would start telling me all this bad stuff about Koreans -- right to my face, when she knows full well I'm Korean!

What kind of grandmother would do that? None -- that's what kind!

This "grandmother episode" is proof positive that Barack Hussein Obama will say anything, and will throw anyone under a bus, to get elected.

And he wants us to believe that he's a "different" kind of politician. Right!

.

• jenx

I think it is a very good indication of his character. He compared wrights hate sermons to what his white grandmother said in private to him. And as you showed what he has said before in his book, it makes it worse. In his speech he said that he could no more disown wright any more then he could his white grandmother who had once confessed to him, the things that you put in your question. What could his white grandmother have said that would make him cringe, but what wright said, he sat and listened to for close to twenty years. Evidently, those things didn't make him cringe.

Turn off the spin cycle! He tastelessly threw his white grandmother under the bus to try and further his political career. Obama, like most libs, doesn't really have the best memory of the past. After all, 20 years in front of Pastor Wright and he can't remember if the guy said anything offensive. He will twist whatever he needs to twist to make his point. He is morally bankrupt as he proved by not leaving his church and instead decided to subject his next generation, his two daughters, to the racist hate filled sermons. He attempted to make white people understand that they are racist and because of the past... Wright is just too overwhelmed by it and is justified in his comments.