Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Very Good Question About Obama's Speech Today:?

In Barack's speech today he says:

"to condemn [Reverend Wright's comments] without understanding its roots only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races."

Then he says this:

"I can no more disown [Reverend Wright] than I can my white grandmother..." "... who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

Why is it when a white is being racist about blacks it just makes him cringe...

- but -

...when a black is being racist about whites, whites need to understand the root of their anger?????????

Favorite Answer

Why does the press hold Obama responsible for what the preacher said? I thought we had free speech in this country? Don't' hold me responsible for what my wife says. Half black and half white, what has that to have do with being President? Obama's response was outstanding. Envious are those who are oppose him. Obama is a very smart person. Give him credit for what he has done.

That is the real racism that exists isn't it? Blacks cause as much if not more racism now adays than the clan does. It is always some finger pointing that someone is being racist when there is no real proof. Ferraro, said Obama was benefiting from being black in this race, which I believe is a fair statement but she was run out of town. But Rev Wright says whites are the enemy and OBama says his experience as a black gives him the right to be angry ( and by angry that is code for racist) Angry implies someone did something to him which is untrue. How a reverend/pastor can talk about race during church is a joke. But my point is blacks are the one spreading the racism and they do it everyday, so often so that they don't even think it is racist.

A Good question is why are the people on this site so racists? And feel that comments from Rev. Wright's sermon were racist. The only people that feel his words are racist are those white people who dont want to admit the things that were said were true and not racist. This country "IS" controlled by Rich white people and we are responsible for how the world feels about us, due to our foreign policies over decades. So stop the Drama And Vote Obama =>!!!!!!

I don't believe in being guilty by association but Obama sat in this man's church for 20 years so he must have known Rev. Wright's views.

Obama is not running on his accomplishments but on his promise and character which is now very much in question.

Because Blacks have have been playing the race card for so long, they are the Undisputed Heavyweight Champions of the World at it. White people have to try much harder to learn the intricasies of this game, and some whites actually can become ashamed of doing this. Blacks, as most of us know, have no shame. That why black men abandon their children constantly.

Very good point! Obama's very political speech was a continuation of his penchant for putting together beautiful words and phrases without true substance or "newness", much less action. Unfortunately it seems to work, at least with the media who, in turn, sell the public a bill of goods re: "brilliance and inspiration." "ONe of the most important speeches in our history?"-I don't think so!

You are demonstrating the exact rift between the races that Obama is talking about by saying "how come it's okay for blacks to do it but it's not okay for whites to do it?" The point is, it shouldn't happen at all. It's not okay for either race to say crap like that.

I noticed that also.

And what's with the cringe. My Grandmother never once made me cringe. I loved my Grandmother. GBHS.

I remember my mom took my Grandmother to church once and a short while later they were back home. My Grandmother didn't approve of what was being preached so she got up and walked out.

• T-Bone

To answer your question;

I guess only blacks have the roots to their racism to be understood according to Barack Obama.

You that's a good question. I just wish we could put all this behind us but sad to say it will never happen because they will rub it into us whites even though half of our family wasn't even here in the US but they don't ever stop to think about that they see we have white skin that they can say that about us.