Why do Christians believe Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies for being the Messiah?

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world -- on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

The historical fact is that Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic prophecies.

Update:

I appreciate the answers but what I am getting is that either a God gave people a set of guidelines the Messiah would fulfill but then neglected to have him do it or the whole Jewish faith is mistranslating the scriptures. Hmm. I took a comparative religions class and I initially thought Hinduism seemed unreasonable with its icons of elephant and multi-armed Gods. The deeper I look at Christianity though the more it looks like a contrived house of cards to me, very open to subjective interpretations of vague holy texts and wishful thinking. I respect your right to your own conclusions, they just baffle me. Cheers.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

You are totally right.

That's why Christianity had to devise the 'second coming' - to justify why Jesus failed to fulfill ANY of the Jewish prophecies.

But in doing that, they ruled Jesus out as the Jewish messiah - because he has to be a normal human, who fulfills the prophecies in one NORMAL HUMAN LIFETIME.

But let's go with the Christian 'logic' for a bit.

So by THEIR 'reasoning', how do we know that any of the other MANY messianic claimants in history aren't going to 'return' to fulfill the prophecies? You see, if Christians are going to insist that Jesus, who DIDN'T fulfill the messianic prophecies can STILL be the messiah, then they are opening up the field to MANY better qualified applicants for the role of messiah!

Such as:

MOSES - he could be called the 'saviour' as he delivered the Israelites from bondage. Aaron may even have anointed him. So does Moses fit the role of messiah?

JUDAH MACCABEE - delivered the Jews from oppression by leading a rebellion against Syria. The Maccabees ruled over Israel for over 250 years and there was PEACE in the land. And Maccabbe priests were all anointed. Thus Judah Maccabee is far MORE qualified than Jesus for the role of Messiah.

JUDAS OF GALILEE - led a Jewish uprising against Rome in 6 C.E. He's mentioned in Acts 5:37 and Josephus (Wars, 2:118). He tried to deliver the Jewish people from oppressive Roman rule and HIS FOLLOWERS CALLED JUDAS: 'The Saviour, the Messiah'. HE DIED ON THE CROSS.

SIMEON BAR KOCHBAR -he led the second Jewish rebellion against Rome in 132.C.E. It failed and he was CRUCIFIED. He had many THOUSANDS of followers.

KING HEZEKIAH - was anointed and there was PEACE in the land. Hezekiah also saved Judah from its' enemies when Jerusalem was in danger of being destroyed. He was called 'the king of the Jews'. He was far better qualified than Jesus to be the messiah.

BENJAMIN THE EGYPTIAN - led Jewish uprising against Rome in 6 C.E. Mentioned in Acts 21 and in Josephus. He declared himself the 'messiah'. HE WAS CRUCIFIED AND DIED ON THE CROSS.

MENACHEM - grandson of Judas the Galilean. He too proclaimed himself the 'messiah' and DIED ON THE CROSS.

SO WE CAN see that Jesus was hardly an original! And if Christians are going to insist on the 'second coming' then any one of the above mentioned 'messiahs' are MORE QUALIFIED than he was!

EDIT FOR 'HE LIVES'

- NO, there are not!

You're relying on a MIStranslated version.

There are only SIXTEEN Jewish messianic prophecies in the Tanakh. And not a single one is speaking of Jesus.

And to clarify: Jesus was never 'king' of the Jews.

• '
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Divide the prophecies to whom they belong…

1. The suffering servant (Jesus)

2. The King (the Lion of Judah) again Jesus

3. The abomination of desolation…the great deceiver ( many will accept this man Daniel talks about as the savior)

Jesus fulfill all of the prophecies which related to Him (the suffering Servant)…clearly the Bible (King James) translation is not that much different, I have found a few words which did not translate perfectly, but over all we are all reading the same thing…..it is all in the interpretation…

Then you have to look at the fact the Old Testament clearly divides the Messiah into two time periods, a servant who is crucified (even though crucifixion didn’t happen for more than 500 years after it was written about (Psalms)) He goes to heaven…and comes back as a King…Ezekiel 9 and you will ascend; like mist you will come; like a cloud to cover the earth you will be; you and all your wings (angels) and many people with you….who is this and why is He coming from the heavens with angels and people? There is more to the Messiah than an average man, and in NO way can this be a woman as Isaiah writes it will be a son…not a daughter. Furthermore, God states He is the Savior and beside Him there is no other. If He is the savior then we must expect He will manifest in the roles of the Messiah. Judaism teaches the Savior is an average man, but the Old Testament teaches God is the Savoir.

23. And I will reveal Myself in My greatness and in My holiness and will be recognized in the eyes of many nations, and they will know that I am the Lord.

Why do many nation not recognize the Lord ? Are they looking for a different Lord?

• 1 decade ago

Hello ((((((( Zen Pirate )))))))

The answer you need would be too long..so I have given you an url: http://www.bprc.org/topics/fulfill.html so you can read more of the prophecies Jesus fullfilled.. :)

Yes, Jesus is the Messiah as prophesied in the Old Testament.. :)

Prophecy Fulfillment by Jesus

The Messiah must...

Be born in Bethlehem Micah 5:2 Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-7

Be adored by great persons Psalms 72:10-11 Matthew 2:1-11

Be annointed with the Spirit of God Isaiah 11:2, 61:1 Matthew 3:16; John 3:34; Acts 10:38

Be hated without cause Isaiah 49:7; Psalms 69:4 John 15:24-25

Be undesired and rejected by His own people Isaiah 53:2, 63:3; Psalms 69:8 Mark 6:3; Luke 9:58; John 1:11,

Be plotted against by Jews and Gentiles together Psalms 2:1-2 Acts 4:27

Be betrayed by a friend Psalms 41:9, 55:12-24 Matthew 26:21-25, 47-50; John 13:18-21; Acts 1:16-18

Be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver Zechariah 11:12 Matthew 26:16

Have his price given for a potter’s field Zechariah 11:13 Matthew 27:7

Be forsaken by His disciples Zechariah 13:7 Matthew 26:31, 56

Be struck on the cheek Micah 5:1 Matthew 27:30

Be spat on Isaiah 50:6 Matthew 26:67, 27:30

Be mocked Psalms 22:7-8 Matthew 27:31, 39-44

Be beaten Isaiah 50:6 Matthew 26:67, 27:26, 30

Be thirsty during His execution Psalms 22:15 John 19:28

Be given vinegar to quench that thirst Psalms 69:21 Matthew 27:34

Be considered a transgressor Isaiah 53:12 Matthew 27:38

Be buried with the rich when dead Isaiah 53:9 Matthew 27:57-60

Be sought after by Gentiles as well as Jews Isaiah 11:10, 42:1 Acts 10:45

Be accepted by the Gentiles Isaiah 11:10, 42:1-4, 49:1-12 Matthew 12:21; Acts 10:45; Romans 15:9-12

In Jesus Most Precious Name..

With ~Love~ In Christ.. :)

• 3 years ago

Jesus became no question no longer the Messiah of the previous testomony, yet Christians nevertheless have self belief in his divinity, that's the main barrier between Christianity and Judaism, and likewise the rationalization why a Christian who follows the previous testomony is a contradiction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Your mistake is that you interpret the spiritual a physical

1. Jesus built a Spiritual Temple

Eph 2:20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

(by the way, the Prophecy of Ezekiel is about the return from exile; youfind this in the earliest parts of Ezekiel)

2. The children of Abraham (ie. Israel) are a spiritual Israel, not physical

Romans 9:6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel,

(again though, Isaiah refers to the return of captivity under Cyrus of Persia)

3. Usher in peace - this is peace between God and man, not all mankind

Romans 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

4. God is King as Christ, over all the world.

a. He was given all kingly authority

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

b. This authority extend to the whole world

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

• 1 decade ago

I think the Christian view is that those things have to be done before he returns again -- some of the things I heard some preachers say will be achievements of the anti-christ. Most christians believe Jesus fulfilled every requirement but when you look at the OT, that doesn't seem true, but most believe anyway -- I know I did until I was shown otherwise -- now I am just confused to be honest.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'll be right back...I have to tell this to the Association of Hebrew Catholics, Jews for Jesus, and all those folks to whom I lent that 5-volume work by the Jewish convert, Michael L Brown, Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus

But a smile is breaking through : You really are unaware that the whole early 'Christian' Church was.....JEWISH.

• 1 decade ago

There are hundreds of other prophecies, like the one in Daniel about messiah being killed. When people say Jesus didn't fufill the prophecies they point to only a handful.

There are a lot of prophecies that seem to describe two different messiahs. What if He is the same one coming twice? I'm sure you won't agree but we do have valid reasons for accepting Jesus.

They did see Jesus rise into his kingdom at the ascension. John ultimatley saw the kingdom of heaven Jews are being gathered in Israel at this very moment, just wait. There will be another temple, but messiah won't build it. God put His temple in believers. Anyone who claims to be messiah now could never qualify because Daniel named an exact time in history when He would come. If they don't fufill them all, they are not of God.

Source(s): Why do you assume there is not a Christian alive who can read Hebrew? It is not mistranslated and there are more than 16 prophecues. Jesus is the cornerstone the builders rejected.
  • Jeff M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

A. That passage wasn't talking about His coming the first time.

B. is talking about the end times. not His first appearance.

C. Also talking about the end of the world, not his first coming.

D. Again, talking about His Second coming.

You need to do a little more studying before you ask questions.

Historical fact, Jesus fulfilled every single prophecy about Him, in the old testament.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are no prophesies whatsoever in the Old Testament about any 2nd coming! Jesus was telling some of the Jews that he was coming back in their own lifetime* (* the Devil “make him do it!”), but they all died and he NEVER came back.

Mat 16:28 I tell you the truth* (*duck!), some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

But to some other Jews he told them that nobody, but nobody including himself knows when God will send him back to be their King! Caesar God was a God King. God the Son Jesus Christ was the alleged God, too King of the Jews. The day of the 2nd coming to be their King will come as a total surprise even to Jesus!

Mark 13:32 (Jesus said) No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

The Eastern soothsayers came to visit the "Newborn King of the Jews"… The last question that the Jews asked Jesus was about his promised kingdom (Acts 1:6-7). Jesus told them to never mind!

The Jews were never delivered from the Romans, but they were almost exterminated. The Jews wised up and dropped Jesus very quickly. For Christians it may take a little longer. Each person has his/her own degree of gullibility.

No fault of the Jews. They really wanted to make Jesus their king by force, but Jesus chickened out! Very few Christians want the world to know this fact!

John 6:15 (NIV) Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

The last time that he came to Jerusalem (Palm Sunday) he made all the Jews to believe that he was going to become their King, but he was teasing them!

John 12:13They* (*big crowds of Jews) took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, "Hosanna!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Blessed is the King of Israel!"

But Jesus had no intension to become anybody’s king! He also told Pontius Pilate that his kingdom was not of this world! So much for the "Newborn King of the Jews!" Pilate had to put a sign on top of the cross to remind everybody about the recanted "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews".

Christians ALWAYS accuse the Jews for rejecting Jesus! Hardly any preacher ever mentions the fact that the Jews really wanted to make Jesus king by force. Throughout history a lot of Jews lost their life because of this accusation!

The idea of a 2nd coming is what guarantees Christianity a long lasting life raking billions of dollars and laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.