What happened to the Peace and Love that was expressed during the 60's??

Where did all our brothers and sisters go?? It was such a wonderful time. There was never the violence, that there is today. Why did some, hate the hippies and the flower children? We were only spreading real Peace and LOVE, and there was a certain kind of magic in those days!! Would you want to go back???

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

♥♥♥Peace♥♥♥ Is alive and well :))))

• verda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

We did not accept or like hypocrites in the 60s and 70s. We still don't. Today's dominant christians and their leaders have become political and thus hypocrites. Your premise is backwards, which is all too common with conservative noise these days. That movement you speak of is blooming again and just elected Obama by a margin of about 9 million votes. Been there, done that, and still doing it. There is no difference between fighting against the Viet Nam war and a crooked Nixon and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan or a crooked Bush/Cheney cabal. It is so funny to hear today's conservatives speak of Christ when he would be the first to condemn their actions and words.

• john k
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It ended.

They all went out and got jobs then faced the reality of paying bills and taxes, and when they realized how much was left over, they stopped supporting them liberal sharing ideas and became conservative, supporting tax cuts and less for the give away programs.

Never the Violence?? Well i guess if you were getting high with Charlie Manson you wouldn't notice any violence.( think there was some) and Violent crime rates were astronomical compared to today. If not mistaken I believe New York City had averaged close to two Cops murdered on the job daily ( for atleast one of those years, and in most of the later 60's more then 1 a day for each year. Remember the Civil rights movement wasn't only being fought peacefully.

Go Back: sure if I'm 40 years younger again also, Can I bring a todays copy of Barron's with me too.

Yes the Magic in those days, was that Trip on the Magical Mystery Tour!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well ya know, what have been referred to "yuppies" are the children of many of the "hippies". Peace and love exists, but it needs money for survival. Now, power, and income seem to be the increments of success, and as far as I'm concerned, it is having a detrimental effect on our society. But, I see reality creeping back into the consciousness of the ambitious, because this country cannot compete, consequently survive if the wages continue to escalate, the housing costs continue to escalate, and the kids are sort of just left to society to provide a place for them until one of the parents gets home. Then the parents are so overburdened with fiscal and social responsibility, they just sorta mollify their children, and have no idea what the kids are participating in. One parent should always be available for the children. Whoever makes the most money should work, the other stay home for the kids, lower their goals, live within their means, and listen to what their kids are saying. Now that is peace and love.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I remember when I was very little, I saw a political cartoon that was supposed to be the thirtieth reunion of Woodstock, and it was a huge cocktail party with everyone in business suits. That is exactly what happened. All the Flower Children grew up and realized there was more money in exploiting their fellow man than in embracing him. Sorry, but the revolution is dead, and the great enemy (capitalism) is using the revolution's putrid rotting corpse as a marianette - just look at the growing number of commercials for environment-destroying SUVs and child-labor-made designer athletic shoes that are sold to the tune of yet another anthem of the generation of love.

At the time, most people disliked Hippies because they were extremely transparent. Rather than being true revolutionaries, the Hippies were simply spoiled and ungrateful kids who were trying to annoy their parents, simply because their parents cared enough to actually be annoyed and hurt by this sort of betrayal.

And, unless we forget, Charles Manson was a Flower Child.

• Kim W
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

What happened? Human nature.

Sheer good will can only last for so long, and idealism sometimes withers in the face of practicality. It's HARD to maintain a state of universal tolerance and brotherhood for that long -- because we are all human, and that means we all have selfish sides, we all have cranky sides, we all have impatient sides. Only a very, very few people have been able to keep up that kind of attitude towards their fellow man all the time -- and even they had trouble sometimes.

It was an ideal, but ideals are sometimes set too high for people to achieve all the time. We can try to reach them for as long as we can now and then, though.

• Yun
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Most of them grew up and learned how wrong they were when they had to live real lives. Some of them didn't and became professors in college and are causing some of the troubles that we have now...

"There was never the violence?" Where did you live? There was plenty of violence in the 60's, rioting in cities and on campuses.

I happen to believe in peace and love, but not the type you are talking about. Real peace comes at a price, people defending it with their lives. Real love is harder to come by than that "free love" stuff. Real love makes a difference and it takes effort.

• Mike K
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Hello,

Anyone can be bought for the right price. All of us baby boomers who went against our parents, fought so hard for equal rights for the sexes and races. lived of the land, protested, got arrested, busted and beaten by cops, eventually went back to school, finished our education and thought of joining the system and change it from within.

Alas, we got the taste of the good life, quick promotions fast jobs, good money coming in and we had so many new problems to handle that eclipsed our social conscience.

Our 3000 sq. foot homes, cottages on the lake, investment portfolios, too much carbon in the valves of our BMW's are our main priorities now.

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It got stabbed repeatedly with a catana

• peace is too difficult to maintain with all the economical interests that more powerful people have in mind.

• Maddog
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Reality set in.

Source(s): I was there. (And it wasn't such a peaceful time either.)
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.