Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

I need some help to tell my parents im depressed/suicidal.?

I need some help to tell my parents im depressed/suicidal. Ok, I am 14 years old in 8th grade, and i am a guy. I have a problem cutting myself, i have tried to commit suicide 4 times in the last few month, and I draw people committing suicide, dying, gravestones, and stuff about death all the time. I dont really have any friends, i'm basically my school's outcast. Every now and then someone will talk to me, but just for a second. If I have a project, I do it by myself, and etc. A bad part about it is, that i've told my parents this before and they put me in therapy for like 2 months and thought it was just a phase and took me out. I want to tell them again, but I think they'll think im a freak, it's just a phase again or something like that, but i'm not, i really want help. But I guess it's the fear of rejection towards the topic that I'm afraid about. If you have any answers or help, please answer.

Favorite Answer

before answering your question, i sit and thought about it for a bit.... your parents already know you have a history of depression, i'm sure they would be supportive in helping find treatment if you sat them down and spoke with them. i kind of have a sneaking feeling that your not certain if you can trust them, their your parents, they love you, you can trust them. aside from all that if you feel that its too hard to talk to them, or your having trouble finding the words, there is one option i can think of that will probably get you the help you need.... go to a local hospital, tell them you feel depressed and are suicidal, they will mandate a 72 hour hold, where you will be evaluated by a doctor and psychiatrist, probably have some type of group therapy, be started on medications, and have someone to follow up with. this way you will get the help you need, your parents will know how desperate you are for help, and it may get you on the right track for continued therapy, help, etc. good luck.

Well first off, you are brave because you want to get help instead of doing something to hurt yourself. I know exactly how you feel, I've been going through the same thing since around your age and even before, I know telling your parents can be difficult because they dont get why you just arent happy or why you dont have friends. I wish I wouldve told my parents about my problems then instead of letting them know by being in a coma for 2 and a half weeks(you don't want that) Having them read this question would be a great idea, or write them a letter and leave it for them to read while you're at school or something so they have some time to think it over, things like this are very stressful for parents, they love you and dont want you to be sad. I also have similar death obsessions, you may think "what would they think if I died?" but if you were dead you wouldnt know the answer to any of those questions. And as far as cutting yourself goes, please please stop, I have 4 very distinct scars on my right arms and many faints ones, I do everything in my power so that people can't see, but they always do and I know their first thoughts are that I'm a freak and I cut myself. I gave myself these scars when I was 16 and they are here to stay, they have given me a label that no one should have.

I admire your courage to reach out to your parents, just remember that so many people have been in your shoes and live to tell about it. You have so much to live for, this is just a bump in the road. You may think people at school dont want to talk to you, but you should consider the way you act, maybe they think you dont want them to talk to you. Its very hard to act happy when you arent, so forget about them for a while and worry just about yourself, the friends will come later. You are not a freak, your parents wont think you were a freak, and anyone who has had any life experience will not think you're a freak. Talk to your parents and dont let them interrupt you until youre finished, you obviously know what you need so show them that you are confident in your decision that you cant do this alone, you have nowhere to go but up from here.

Good luck.

The best thing about your post is that you know whats wrong and as GI-Joe puts it, knowing is half the battle. Since you have already voice this issue to your parents , maybe its time you went to an outside source for help. There are tons of places you can go. Try a campus counselor. Believe it or not, they are there for more than just advice on what class you can take. The good thing is, you are asking for advice from the general public on this issue, so that means you actually WANT help. Many depressed people dont even ask for help and then something terrible happens. I have chronic depression issues an there are drugs that can help. Paxil was a big help for me. Try to talk to your parents again and if that doesnt work a counselor at your school is the best bet. Good luck...

sweetie ,if you are really having problems speaking to someone, maybe you could write down your feelings and problems in a letter and give it to your parents or to someone at your school. you are only 14 years old ,you don't need to be going through anything by yourself, this would be too much for any adult to go through alone ,yet someone your age. there is so much help out there for you,you don't need to suffer like this. but you have to be strong and take the first step ,and the first step is to tell someone. you have to do it for yourself because you are so worth it, you are only young ,there is so many wonderful things and experiences that are ahead of you as you grow. alot of people were and are unpopular at school, it will get better,,just be the best person you can be,nothing else matters. look how many people have replied to your question! we may not know you but we care about you. just be strong kiddo and tell someone. i'm sending you a big hug all the way from australia.i can tell you are a great kid and i know that after you get over this hurdle, you will be happy again.your strong,you can tell someone. all the best sweetie.joeanne.

Source(s): life experience
  • Lv 4

I went through depression when i was 13, but i didnt go to the point that you have. Only thoughts because i would wimp out on cutting myself and freak out over it. I know what you mean its not easy to tell your parents, and its even hard to tell a counseler. But you know you want to tell them, and you know you need to because things could only get worse. Tell your parents though, because you will for a FACT feel better. This is the point where the line should be drawn and you should be able to be happy in your life. You deserve it i mean you're only 14, and there's a lot to live for. Make a positive change for you and tell your parents. Goodluck =)

• hamn

The best thing to do is talk to a fellow peer, or teacher you can trust before you go to your parents. What is on your mind that makes you so sad? maybe its not your fault. You should get some scans done, not as an insult to you, but maybe its a genetics thing. I've known alot of my friends to suffer from clinical depression, which was out of the blue, and some pill just cured it. Just remebmer, life is good, and you will overcome problems

Hey! I hope you're ok!

Your school has counsellors that are there to help their students, so maybe it would be a good idea to go talk to one of them - if you haven't already, especially if your parents aren't taking this seriously - at least as seriously as they should be.

Also, there are a lot of crises helplines, you can probably look one up online for the area where you live.

If you just wanna talk to someone, I'm here, you can add me on msn or email me - nati25m@hotmail.com

Please go to your parents. Explain to them that this is not a phase and that you want help. Show them where you are cutting yourself. They need to see this, okay? You are doing the right thing looking for help. I was in your shoes when I was young and therapy and medicine has done wonders for me. I do not think that your parents will freak out. I think they will help you. I have a daughter your age and I watch her for signs of the problems I had. Trust me, no parent wants their child to feel like this. And, more than that, no one wants you to leave this world. Go to them as soon as possible. There is so much help out there and so much for you to look forward to. Don't give up. Get to the doctor ASAP and get back in to therapy.

have you talked to the school counselor? Have a brother or sister to talk to? I would recommend your parents, but you need to be serious about this....you need to tell them the whole truth....you need to tell yourself the whole truth too....you are no longer able to deal with this yourself and you need help....it is a very strong, mature thing to ask for help.....they will love you no matter what. Don't be afraid, just tell them and get the help you need.

Have you tried talking to you school nurse..

you could explain to her that you don't know how to tell your parents again.. that you want them to realize that you are being completely seriously about it all.. & that you want your parents to take it seriously this time!?

you could also get peer help; find someone.. ANYONE.. that you trust.. talk to that person about the problems you are having..

good luck hun.