Juliepoo15 asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

How long do you let your new system run before staring to add small animals?

I am starting a new reef tank. It's been running just under a week and I have added 30 pounds of live sand and about 10 pounds of live rock. The system consists of some power heads and a sump. Going too add a protein skimmer in a few weeks. I'm willing to be very patient because I want to do this right.

Favorite Answer

get a test kit and be watching the water levels. When I'm setting up a new tank i let my sand and rock sit for about 2 weeks then i add some snails and hermits. that ways you can be adding food to the tank and help with your bio load.

when you put a good load of live sand and live rock in the tank then you do not have to cycle as long but you should anyways.(just keep testing the water)

either way after you get your snails and hermits in, i still recommend that you don't put any fish or corals in until the tank has been cycling 4-8 weeks

Source(s): saltwater pro for 15 years. starting up over 1000 saltwater aquariums
  • Stacy

Well you'll want to wait until it's cycled, which can take up to two months. Give it 4-8 weeks, and buy a test kit like API Master liquid test kit for saltwater. It's cycled when ammonia and nitrite is 0, and you have nitrate, preferably under 10ppm.

2 months

there full of crap. i bought 3 goldfish one day and went home and set up my tank and threw them in. that was over a month ago and there still kickin. cyclin's ***.