is it illegal to use my neighbours wireless router??

i just moved into this house 2 weeks ago and i saw an insecure wireless signal on my comp and started connecting to the network. i know its stealing but how do i seek permission from my nighbour if i can use it because i have no idea whose network it is !! is it an offence to use a neighbors wireless router without informing him?? would i get into trouble??

Yes technically it's against the law. Regardless of not knowing whos network it is, you shouldn't be connecting to unkown unsecured wireless networks and using the net just because it's there. In the same way you wouldn't walk through someones open front door and use their facilities without permission.

Therefore, the question of seeking permission is irrelevent since you should assume you do not have permission to use another households facilities in any sense (water, electricity etc).

• 24z

well since it is illegal the only thing you can do is go around your block and ask everyone if they have wireless internet and then ask for permission but most likely they would secure the network since they will know that it is unsecured and you will not have internet. the other thing you can do is setup an internet connection and buy a wireless router

With all the above in mind, I have my own wireless router, however my computer frequently and inadvertently logs onto one of my neighbors insecure wireless signals. I often notice this and disconnect and redirect my connections to my own signal, but not always.

Anyone have any idea why my computer will sometimes bypass my own wifi signal and pick up on another one?

The federal Cybercrime Act 2001 (CA) for example amended the Criminal Code Act 1995 by identifying computer offences that "impair the security, integrity and reliability of computer data and electronic communications". The three major computer offences are -

1) Unauthorised access, modification or impairment with intent to commit a serious offence (with a maximum penalty equal to the maximum penalty for that serious offence).

2) Unauthorised modification of data where the offender is reckless as to whether the modification will impair data (maximum penalty of 10 years in prison), covering situations such as where a hacker unintentionally impairs data in the course of unauthorised access to a computer system.

3) Unauthorised impairment of electronic communications (maximum penalty of 10 years in prison), including 'denial of service' attacks'.

Its hard to find evidence in australia and i dont think it proper to use evidence outside australia, as every country has there own laws. But these laws i found on this website proves that it is illigal.

Thanks :)

If your neighbor gave you permission then no, it's not. If your neighbor has no idea you are doing it, then yes, it is. Also if your neighbors router is set up with no security, then I wouldn't use it anyways since it is a major security risk to all systems on it. And it is very very easy for him to see you connecting to it.

If the company finds out you will get fined at least ten thousand dollars and go to jail. Is it really worth it? Pay for what is yours, you know it is wrong. You are stealing a service. I knew better by the time I was a child.

yeh it is illegal but if they dnt know then it doesnt really matter i would suggest setting up ur own internet as soon as possible but in the mean time if u need 2 use the internet go 2 someones house or libary to use the internet just incase

I know of one or two people that have this problem,but they have their own router, just tell your neighbour that you can connect to is router, then it`s not steeling.

Yes. Spoof you mac address before connecting that ways there's no way they can tell its you if it comes to court anyway.

Yes you can, since you do not have permission to use it. Would you get in trouble, YES!