Jehovah's Witnesses, please explain the following:?

Watchtower 1/15/61 page 64

Disfellowshipped for taking blood

"If the taking of a blood transfusion is the first offense of a dedicated, baptized Christian due to his immaturity or lack of Christian stability and he sees the error of his action and grieves and repents over it and begs divine forgiveness and forgiveness of God’s congregation on earth, then mercy should be extended to him and he need not be disfellowshiped. He needs to be put under surveillance and to be instructed thoroughly according to the Scriptures upon this subject, and thereby be helped to acquire strength to make decisions according to the Christian standard in any future cases."

Contunued "If, however, he refuses to acknowledge his nonconformity to the required Christian standard and makes the matter an issue in the Christian congregation and endeavors to influence others therein to his support; or, if in the future he persists in accepting blood transfusions or in donating blood toward the carrying out of this medical practice upon others, he shows that he has really not repented, but is deliberately opposed to God’s requirements. As a rebellious opposer and unfaithful example to fellow members of the Christian congregation he must be cut off therefrom by disfellowshiping."

Continued "Thereby the Christian congregation vindicates itself from any charge of connivance at the infraction of God’s law by a member of the congregation through blood transfusion, and it upholds the proper Christian standard before all the members of the Christian congregation, and keeps itself clean from the blood of all men, even as the apostle Paul did who promulgated to the various Gentile congregations the apostolic decree handed down at Jerusalem.—Acts 20:26."

Watchtower 8/1/58 page 478

Not disfellowshipped for taking blood.

"We, of course, regret with you that this sister who professes to be one of the anointed remnant took a blood transfusion voluntarily during her stay in the hospital. We believe that she did the wrong thing contrary to the will of God. However, congregations have never been instructed to disfellowship those who voluntarily take blood transfusions or approve them. We let the judgment of such violators of God’s law concerning the sacredness of blood remain with Jehovah, the Supreme Judge. The only thing that can be done in the cases of individuals like this is to view them as immature and therefore not capable of taking on certain responsibilities, hence refusing to make certain assignments of service to such ones."

New Light? Major Change in a "Central Doctrine?" OK in 1958 but wrong in 62 and in 1982:

Watchtower 1982 , 7/15/82, pg 18:

"Paul wrote to the Corinthians that a man guilty of fornication should be expelled. He added that idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, thieves, greedy persons, drunkards, revilers and extortioners “will not inherit God’s kingdom.” (1 Corinthians 5:1, 6, 7, 11-13; 6:9-11) We also read that Christians must ‘abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled and from fornication’ and that supposed brothers who promote false teachings are to be rejected. (Acts 15:28, 29; Titus 3:10; 2 John 9-11) Plainly, laws are involved here. A practicer of such sins cannot become a true Christian. And if a servant of God unrepentantly carries on these sins, he must be disfellowshipped."

Wasn't is always a violation of God's law?

DEWCOONS: No arguement from me.

Just pointing out JW flip flops.

Gone Fishing: the point is was was not a disfellowshipping offense, now is. The repentant issue is not relevant.

If JW's said eating doughnuts was a DF offense and you ate one and repented, you would probably not be DF'd

Since eating doughnuts is not a disfellowshipping offense, eat up.

Again the point is what was not a DF offense now is.

Watchtower 6/15/04 page 23

You can take "components" of blood:

"As noted in paragraphs 11 and 12, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or of its four primary components—plasma, red cells, white cells, and platelets. What about small fractions extracted from a primary component, such as serums containing antibodies to fight a disease or to counteract snake venom? (See page 30, paragraph 4.) Some have concluded that such minute fractions are, in effect, no longer blood and hence are not covered by the command ‘to abstain from blood.’ (Acts 15:29; 21:25; page 31, paragraph 1) That is their responsibility. The conscience of others moves them to reject everything obtained from blood (animal or human), even a tiny fraction of just one primary component."

Does the Bible differentiate between components of blood or does it say simply "Blood", which would include all components.

JOHNNY R: Good points. In line with your comments, I like the line:

"He needs to be put under surveillance"

Just what the heck does that mean. Are they parked outside his house at night?

Gone Fishing: FYI, I was a Wtiness for 50 years.

Lavendar: I am also curious on the Witnesses stand on anti bodies, which are an essential part of the blood. Without antibodies, a human would die in hours as infections rapidly invaded the bloodstream, so when you refer to the principal that the JW’s always quote, “the life is in the blood” that would include antibodies.

Of course, that would mean most inoculations would be wrong, flu shots, polio, etc. That wouldn’t go over well with the membership.

That law was under Moses and Jesus Christ lifted or ended that law under grace, matter of fact the bible states that if you follow the law you reject Jesus Christ because Jesus ended that law, it is deceiving! if you read Colossians 2: 9-17 it states so don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days, or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.... Galatians 2:20,Romans 7: 15

Source(s): "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things, the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them". (Eph. 5:6,7). "Let no one in any way deceive you...". (2 Thess. 2:3). "These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you." (1 John 2:26). "Little children, let no one deceive you...". (1 John 3:7). "For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son". (2 John 7-9). "I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you, and want to distory the gospel of Christ. But even though we, or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed". (Galatians 1:6-9). Notice the nature of the Bible command, "Let no one in any way deceive you" etc. It is up to each of us, whether we be "high up" or "low down" in the body of believers, to carefully check out everything with the word of God. Remember the Apostle Paul said "I have fully preached the gospel of Christ". (Romans 15:19). Also,..."learn not to exceed what is written, in order that no one of you might become arrogant in behalf of one against the other". (2 Cor. 4:6). That's pretty plain, isn't it? We are protected if we stay with the Bible. If Christ was "fully preached" in the days of the apostles, why listen to different doctrine on Christ invented by some modern-day teacher? We all need to stay within the Word of God, the Bible, and dismiss anything extra!. We would not have Jehovah's Witnesses or other cults today, or aberrant groups within the Christian Church, if only we would obey the command to not be deceived! Each one of us is responsible for ourselves! "Let no man deceive himself...". (1 Cor. 3:18).

O.K. I have a new understanding about this blood law. This law is so complicated. God Almighty works in mysterious ways don't we all agree. For the past couple days I have been thinking strongly on this matter. An understanding that came to my thinking is "Jehovah God always said to *drain* and or *spill* the blood." The drained blood was to be used in sacrifice of sins to Him. Other times the blood is to be spilled onto the ground. My new understanding of it now is, whatever blood is drained, needs to be spilled, or in other words to be *discarded*. It cannot be used for any purpose. So thinking of blood donations; the blood is being drained out of the person and so by LAW it needs to be discarded. My new understanding is a drain blood cannot be used for any purpose whatsoever. Why? because blood is Holy to God and all drained blood NOT of sacrificing to God MUST be spilled. And of course the last blood sacrifice was Jesus and there can be no other after the Son of God.

This is my own opinion and I am not God. If I am wrong to this new understanding, anyone can attest it.

Source(s): A New Understanding

The words are real clear. They understand that for a person to receive a transfusion he has violated the law of YHVH. They understand that they cannot change the law. If a person is sorry that they have sinned, and give evidence that they did it out of weakness rather than wickedness, and choose not to continue in violation of the law, then the "church" will accept their apology, and maintain them as members in good standing. If they either try to sway other members to approve of transgressing the law of YHVH, or if they maintain a resolve to violate the law again, should the opportunity present itself, then the "church" does not have the authority to "forgive" them, and so must dis fellowship them as lawbreakers. I wish other groups expressed similar honesty and firmness in favor of YHVH's law. If they did we would not be in such a mess. I think the JW's are wrong about transfusions, and wish they understood Sabbath observance, and cleanliness of foods in a scriptural light. (Not to mention the Divinity of the Savior YAHOSHUA) (Neither acts 10, nor acts 15 allows unclean foods... The one addresses sharing the truth with gentiles, and the other outlines pre-requisites for attending a gathering of Jews where one can hear the law presented in its fullness)

Let me see if I got this....in 57 AD, when the early church was struggling with the need to carry the message of Christ to the whole world in the midst of persecuation, and to keep the message from be corrupted by Jews, gnostics, and others, the church leadership took the time to have the only council listed in the New Testament and to make a ruling on blood transfusions 2000 years before the process would be invented?

[Insert Twilight Zone theme]

Look again at the council in Acts and you will find that the word "blood" there in the original language refers to "bloodshed", meaning violence and murder. Has nothing to do with blood transfusions. There is not a single scripture in the Bible which refers to blood transfusions. There is nothing wrong or unchristian about blood transfusions.

I am studying to become a JW so forgive me if i err.

From my limited understanding of disfellowshiping i understand it is all to do with your attitude towards your mistake (or sin).

The way i understand it if you sinned deliberately or tried to hide your sin or are unrepentant then you most likely will be disfellowshiped but will be welcomed back when you make the effort to set things right.

If you are straight forward with your error and repentant you may be privately corrected.

It is a subject i am interested in as a disfellowship brother got me into studying the truth.

Jw's who know more than me are welcome to correct me if i have made a mistake in my answer. (studying for about 2 months)

Why is anyone allowed to disfellow another?

Why do chruch elders get to judge, that your charachter is not good enough?

who is your judge on moral matters the church or God?

WTS sets itself up as Judge

shame they can't hold the sabbath the same way they hold on to the laws of blood

studying to becoem a JW?

Jesus had no bodily ressurection?

what does your own bible, the NWT say in Luke 24:39

While they were speaking of these things he himself stood in their midst [[and said to them: “May YOU have peace.”]]

But because they were terrified, and had become frightened, they were imagining they beheld a spirit.

So he said to them: “Why are YOU troubled, and why is it doubts come up in YOUR hearts?

See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; feel me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as YOU behold that I have.”

[[And as he said this he showed them his hands and his feet.]] But while they were still not believing for sheer joy and were wondering, he said to them-

“Do YOU have something there to eat?”

And they handed him a piece of broiled fish;

and he took it and ate it before their eyes.

Jesus eats fish, he can be touched, and he tells them that a spirit does not have flesh and bones like I have

He says he is not a spirit

and whats the point of having holes in his hands if materialized in a different body?

thanks