Why are cigarettes called fags?

• tony m

Hello MARY,

It's from the english schools where at the university, the younger pupils would have to perform menial tasks, for the older pupils while they lounged about and smoked a cigarette, MY DICTIONARY SHOWS ELEVEN DIFFERENT MEANINGS FOR THE WORD. the most common meaning for ir is that it is a slang term for a cigarette, and makes no mention of where the term originated. I hope this answers your query...Tony M

• shawl

Fags Cigarettes

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why are cigarettes called fags?

Source(s): cigarettes called fags: https://tr.im/Eblqy

I always thought it came from the name of Mustapha Phagg (must have a ***) in the Dandy comics, but I have come to learn that it was the other way around. I was reading Dandy in the 1950's, so I guess you need someone older than I am to get to the bottom of it.

wow..i have not heard that term for smokes since the early 70`s. I remember my aunty sending me to the store for a "skinny pkg. of fags."..the elderly worker told me to go home and get a note stating what she wanted in understandable words..

because they do other cigarettes.

Source(s): just kidding. A f*ggot used to be a bundle of sticks used for burning, so I think it might have originally come from that.

They were first created by woofters