Why are cigarettes called fags?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • tony m
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Hello MARY,

It's from the english schools where at the university, the younger pupils would have to perform menial tasks, for the older pupils while they lounged about and smoked a cigarette, MY DICTIONARY SHOWS ELEVEN DIFFERENT MEANINGS FOR THE WORD. the most common meaning for ir is that it is a slang term for a cigarette, and makes no mention of where the term originated. I hope this answers your query...Tony M

• shawl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Fags Cigarettes

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why are cigarettes called fags?

Source(s): cigarettes called fags: https://tr.im/Eblqy
  • 1 decade ago

I always thought it came from the name of Mustapha Phagg (must have a ***) in the Dandy comics, but I have come to learn that it was the other way around. I was reading Dandy in the 1950's, so I guess you need someone older than I am to get to the bottom of it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

wow..i have not heard that term for smokes since the early 70`s. I remember my aunty sending me to the store for a "skinny pkg. of fags."..the elderly worker told me to go home and get a note stating what she wanted in understandable words..

• Anonymous
    5 years ago
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because they do other cigarettes.

Source(s): just kidding. A f*ggot used to be a bundle of sticks used for burning, so I think it might have originally come from that.
  • 1 decade ago

They were first created by woofters

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.