Happy Camper asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

For the inaugural Youth Olympics 2010, what does Singapore have that makes it the ideal host city?

What qualities does Singapore have that will allow her to beat Moscow as the host city?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Like others have said, good governance, excellent transport system, etc are some qualities Singapore has to make it the ideal host city. I do agree we're lacking in the facilities and experience in hosting big events like that though. But new facilities can be built; for eg a 5000 bed hostel to host the athletes is already underway and will be completed in February 2010. For games like basketball, the sports complexes in schools like Simei ITE may be used. Simei ITE hosted the 2006 FIBA Asia Womens Basketball Tournament which saw teams like China and Japan pitting against each other there. And trust me, the facilities in some Singapore schools are not as crammy and small as you think they are. Singapore does not have experience at all in hosting big events like this. But there are pros and cons to it. it'll be easier to organise the event if the team is experienced, but with experience the Moscow team might stick to doing what they have done for the past sporting events they have hosted and it'll be just another typical sporting event which is nothing special. Singapore, being new in the race, will bring new life into the Youth Olympics, especially given the dynamic organising team. I'm in favour of Singapore winning the bid, but I wish Moscow best of luck as well. To whichever country that wins, let's just hope the Youth Olympics will be a successful event (:

• Maya R
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Singapore has everything that makes it the ideal city for this event. Security, great organizing abilities, capital etc etc.

The only thing it lacks is Space!!. An event like this would physically choke Singaporeans to death.

Since it would not be possible to spill over into Johore.

(Malaysia boleh tapi Singapore tidak boleh) the only other venue possible would be Moscow.

Yes that's right.Singapore will hire Moscow and hold the Singapore Games there. An amazing win win situation.

Just think of how it will transform the entire globalisation

concept.

It defies the imagination! Just think about it a minute. The Oxford/Cambridge boat race down the Singapore River.The Chingay parade down Oxford Street London.

The FA cup finals at Jalan Besar. (well maybe that's going too far..) But the basic idea will catch on believe me.

You heard it here first!!

• 1 decade ago

Singapore will have the drive and spirit to be the host to the Youth Olympics 2010. We have a good transport network, friendly residents, volunteers, shopping belts, good security and many other reasons to make us a good competitor as Moscow. I admit Moscow has the experience to hold the Games while Singapore boost none than the Sea Games only. Asia should be the next arena for the Youth Olympics as it is gain its popularity over the other contingents. All the best to Singapore and also Moscow.

• 1 decade ago

In my opinion, in terms of experience, Singapore is out. They may have the drive, and the well know efficiency in getting things done. But let's face it, the white will not admit that any Asia is better than them.

Some may say they lack the size, or no proper stadium of sports complexes to hold such event. But the efficient government will know the way to get it done. It is not impossible for them.

But if place the terrorism threat into consideration, Singapore is always at the top. That small little island is much easy to control, and the terrorists will have a hard time (not impossible) of getting in, let alone placing a fart in any of the stadium.

So, in my opinion, it is a hard decision. But I do wish Singapore and Moscow well. Whoever won, may the event be a successful one.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

you'll get the answer if you take a visit once to singapore.

it's a no. 1 place for people security. but u hardly will see a

policeman on the streeet. the whole singapore is integrated with cctv cameras. A country that always has new ideas to make things better.All kinds of high tech security systems are used and many more.

• 1 decade ago

I believe that If the Olympics are held in Singapore that would be perfect, Known to be the Safest and cleanest country in the World. Hope that one day they will be held there! Good Luck!

• 1 decade ago

Frankly, nothing. It's perplexing how Singapore's bid has gone this far. Moscow has hosted the Summer Olympics - the BIG one. Moscow has been there, done that. They have a proven track record. 'Nuff said.

Singapore? Man. The National Stadium will be torn down this year - there'll be no Olympic-worthy stadium when the games come round in 2010. And the national swimming arena... Toa Payoh Swimming Complex - aging, crumbling, and barely seat 1000 spectators. What of the arenas for various ball sports like basketball, hockey, tennis etc? Singapore has no venue comparable to icons like Rod Laver Arena, Madison Square Garden etc. Instead, Singapore welcomes the world to "exotic" abodes such as Delta Sports Complex, Yio Chu Kang Sports Hall, etc, hallowed venues in terms of seconday school kiddy games. Where will the showpiece soccer final be held? You guessed it, Jalan Besar Stadium... if you care to call that a stadium.

Ideal host city? Forget it.

• 1 decade ago

Security and enthusiasm wise,yes i agree Singapore has all those in the bag. But in terms of the grandeur and the scale of events they held every year i have to say otherwise. I am not saying its bad, its just average, everything it has done has been done before by other countries and even better in some cases. In addition the the country is already too packed to host the event, imagine this, millions of people coming down to singapore to watch the olympics, by the time they got to Singapore , the local population already packed the whole the event venues, leaving little or no place at all to spectate the event. In addition how is Singapore is certain that once they got the bid, the population will stand and watch the whole thing. Maybe for the opening ceremony but for the rest of the events , the people that are going to watch that are probably the athletes parents or friends, other than that mostly people just get on with their normal routines, and view the thing as as mostly hype that will eventually cool down. The only people that will benefit most probably in the end are the athletes and their families, and that only if they win, which is slim today,since which athlete in the world is lousy nowadays, give me one name of a professional youth athlete which is lousy in 1 second, times up , you cant ,can't you because they are barely any.

And come on what facilities Singapore will have by the end of 2010, the Singapore stadium is going to be torn down, and the indoor stadium could barely fit anything but a small parade. And wishing no offense to the Singapore sports council ,but i am saying that their choice of using the local swimming complexes, football fields,and local small stadiums doesn't exactly spell youth olympics , what were they thinking? The swimming complex although clean and well kept, is just dull compared to the Moscow's grand swimming complexes with all the state of the art facilities. Same goes to the use of normal public facilities. Imagine what goes through the minds of the viewers around the world when they see how the olympics are carried out in Singapore in the style befitting of those in a normal school, quite amateur. Using running tracks, football fields,swimming pools used daily by the community is I am afraid Singapore's biggest mistake to host the olympics, especially after the proposed torn down the national stadium, if they are not going to tear it down they would have at least have a bonus in their resume in bidding for the Olympics for having a decent facility. Furthermore thoughts of laughing at the Singapore's bid for the olympics come to mind if the advertising done for the olympics is done by the MDA , especially after their recent attempt to make it into the Hip Hop world (which fueled the phrase that Hip Hop is DEAD) Come on nobody want to see government officials rap , the public want them to perform well, but obviously they took it a bit too seriously in a wrong way.

In conclusion, in my opinion Singapore has very little chance to host the youth olympics. Moscow should have the bid since they had past experiences from hosting past olympic events and the adequate and grand facilities they have.

I frankly hope Singapore loses the bid , at least to save their face from embarrassment for trying to host the games in a style similar to its secondary schools which sucked and considered amateur . Plus there are signs that the Russian capital had a narrow lead over Singapore, and their promotions campaigns are bigger and better than those of singapore along with sporting events. They even had a bigger budget of 175 million dollars compared to Singapore's 75 million

But for the next youth olympics after that i will support Singapore.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Proven track records of good economy, government, security and customer service.

• 1 decade ago

we are culturally more diversified !

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.