Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Average number of words in a book?

Does anyone know what the number of words would be in the average paperback in the top seller's list?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

I would say around 80,000.

:)

Every publisher has their own guidelines as to word counts and what's what, but here is a general idea according to what I've heard over the years...

Short... 7,000 to 20,000

Novella... 20,000 to 40,000

Catagory... 40,000 to 65,000

Novel... 65,000 to 90,000

Novel Plus... 90,000 to 120,000

Super Novel... 120,000+

But wikipedia says differently...

Flash Fiction... 1,000 to 3,000

Short... 3,000 to 15,000

Novelette... 7,500 to 17,500

Novella... 17,500 to 40,000

Novel... 40,000 to 75,000

Epic... 75,000+

Best Wishes...

~Tia

• cleek
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Words In A Book

• Holly
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avN76

General rule of thumb is that a novel is 80k to 100k, but you can have 120k on larger novels. The 250-words-per-page rule is a copysetting estimate. That is saying a page with 12-point font and double spaced with 1-inch margins all around will average about 250 words, which were averaged at I believe 5 letters per word. Most people just go by the word processing software's count these days. The page length of novels can vary greatly depending on width of the margin, font size, and the spaces between lines. I'm sure you've seen some books that have hardly any margin and some with really wide margins? If you figure out the number of characters per page and multiplied by the # of pages, you would be able to see that there can be similar word counts for different sized books. Or widely divergent word counts for books of the same size. Crazy, isn't it? There are many sites out there to answer a new writer's questions. Here's one article dealing with the 250 page question:

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Average number of words in a book?

Does anyone know what the number of words would be in the average paperback in the top seller's list?

Source(s): average number words book: https://bitly.im/QU2Nt
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mutly
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It depends on the genre, target audience, etc. the general rule of thumb is usually about 48,000-50,000 words. If you're looking to get published check out the Writer's Market. Some publishers have the word count their looking under their submission guidelines.

• 1 decade ago

if you are looking to publish a book, keep it under 100,000 , since most others are rejected merely because of their huge size, though many are good, publishers are too crammed to read the largere ones

• 1 decade ago

The slim paperbacks probably have around 65,000 words in them. Medium size would be about 100,000 words. Big fat paperbacks could be 150,000 words or more.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.