promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can my employer sue me over company credit card purchases?

Actually it's my boyfriend, but he left his job over 6 months ago and now they are trying to say he has to pay them for charges made on a company credit card- saying they were unauthorized. This is stemming from a fight because they refuse to pay him one of his paychecks. They are trying to change his W2 even though he was a salary employee. Where can I find information on laws in Arizona?

Update:

Just a note- the charges were initially approved and were 100% related to his job. He is now just bringing it up because my bf is going after him for the missing wages.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

First thing NO EMPLOYER CAN REFUSE TO GIVE YOU YOUR PAY CHECK!!! No mater what! They can take you to court and sue you for something, but they can not hold or take anything out of your check. And if your boyfriend can prove the charges were for business he has nothing to fear, otherwise he's in trouble.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

By law the company has to pay all wages owed to an employee within a reasonable amount of time. (6 months is not reasonable) He is responsible to pay off the "unauthorized charges" assuming they were made for personal gain. If the charges were accrued while on shift and for the gain of the company, they cannot hold him liable for any charges.

I would suggest an meeting between the employer and your boyfriend, and an exchange can take place. Or you will both be spending money suing each other.

• Boots
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If he made unauthorized charges on the company card -- yes, he can be held responsible for them.

Using a company card for personal use is just another form of embezzlement.

• MVB
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No one can say without knowing ALL the facts; it could be complicated. But I can say that trying to squeeze someone by refusing to pay a legitimate debt is a good way to get wreck your own case.

If he owes them for unauthorized credit card purchases he should pay up. If he is owed money by them for services rendered, there are various ways to make a claim (workman's lien, etc). He only hurts himself by mixing the two.

I suspect the guy's version of the facts is highly self-serving. You should be very cautious here.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is illegal to withhold an employee paycheck. If the company had a problem, they should have paid him the paycheck and then taken your boyfriend to court to sue for the supposed charges occured on the credit card. Legally, your boyfriend can rat out the company and they can get in some serious trouble (fines).

• mr. y
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

what they are doing is called a reverse law suit.hoping it will deter him from continuing to fight.if he can talk to a lawyer for free then do it.but if not he can take a chance with keeping on fighting and win or lose to them.the only reason i say to check out a lawyer for free is because it wont be worth paying 1 for a paycheck or 2,unless its for a heck of a lot of money.

• fdm215
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It depends on what he bought. If he used it to make ordinary business related purchases, particularly if he can show a pattern approval for similar purchases in the past, he's probably in a better position.

You should check with the local Bar Association. See if they can give you a referral to a legal aid group who will work for free or close to it. They can give you advice about where your boyfriend stands. The 6 month lapse before they complained looks VERY suspicious. He may have to file a complaint with the labor board in your state.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If he made charges on a company credit card, he is legally liable, without question. To deny them payment is tantamount to theft by illegal usage of a company credit card and punishable in a court of law.

• 1 decade ago

Contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage & Hour Division.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, they can. At this juncture, I would suggest getting an attorney involved. Do not wait any longer. Find one that will work on a percentage of monies that he/she wins for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.