Can I lie about my current salary to a potential employer?

I live in the state of California, and work for a large corporation. Can you tell me whether the law prevents my current employer from revealing my current salary information?
Update: Wow, lots of responses. Lots of conflicting info. Well, to those of you who judged me for my question, I hope you got a nice warm self-righteous glow. I'm sure you've never lied about anything. Nice halo, by the way. And to everyone else, thanks for your feedback, and for resisting the urge to be... show more Wow, lots of responses. Lots of conflicting info.

Well, to those of you who judged me for my question, I hope you got a nice warm self-righteous glow. I'm sure you've never lied about anything. Nice halo, by the way.

And to everyone else, thanks for your feedback, and for resisting the urge to be a superior ******. Really :)