cfab asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

question for you pescatarians?

Hi all, so im actually in the process of becoming pescatarian right now. I guess my reason why ill eat fish but no other meat is b/c land animals are treated really badly (which im sure you know), but for some reason, I just don’t view fish on the same level (I don’t need a lecture on this, just read on). so ive read on some yahoo answers here that vegetarians that eat even a little meat after having not eaten meat for a long time get sick and stuff. That’s what im worrying about if I gave up meat completely. For you pescatarians that eat fish and no other meat, since fish is meat and say you accidentally ate a piece of chicken or beef, would you still get sick? Has anyone experienced this? Im just a little concerned about this and need to know if this happens in case this happens or say in the rare case I would become a meat eater again in the future, thanks

No you won't get sick. The body doesn't somehow forget how to produce the enzymes to digest meat. Just vege scare tactics.

I'm not encouraging you to eat meat by any means. Truth be told, anyone who felt sick in this scenario brought it onto themselves. It's literally in their heads. The guilt they felt manifested itself as an upset stomach.

The cheese on ceasar salad is vegetarian although the dressing has anchovies in it. I would just suggest to substitute things. For example, when I go to a fast food place I will either use beans instead of meat at Taco Bell or I will order a burger without the meat. They seem to be filling and there isn't any meat. Try something like adding morning star farms into your meal. These types of food usually have a nice variety. As for the fish, I am not too sure because I never really ate fish, but if you look at health food stores they usually have something to replace it with. To feel full after eating fruit, just eat enough. Your body will typically use up what fruit you ate so if you eat enough through-out the day you should feel full.

I eat mostly pescatarian, but once every few months or so I might eat a bit of meat. I have to say I sometimes do feel sick afterwards, but I have concluded that it's from the fat in the meat or its preparation, not the meat itself. I also feel sick if I eat a high-fat vegetarian meal.

If I eat lean meat, prepared with very little fat, I don't always get sick. Meat does feel pretty heavy in the stomach after a mainly vegetarian diet.

If you ever choose to return to eating meat, do it gradually, in small, slowly increasing amounts, and I'm sure you will be fine.

I get sick. I eat some seafood, but if I eat any other meat, I get terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. They only last 3 or 4 hours but they're totally not worth it.

5 years ago I tried eating some turkey and chicken a couple of times. Never again.

(However, my brother, who's mostly vegan at home because his wife is, assures me that it goes away after you have a few servings of meat within a week or two, so it's not a big deal if you do go back to meatier ways)

Non of the protein and nutrients come from alianated planet. If you pretty smart to analyse, ask the stupid cow, chicken and fish how they manufacture those protein & nutrients. You've spent entire life in myth thinking that "you still get sick" without those animal derived food. How many vegetarians that you met "personally" that confessed to you this? Neither you've been a vegetarian for 10 years? 20 years period?

Me, my wife and 2 kids are being vegan for past 6 year, we extreamly cut the medical expenses!

When I met my first vegetarian, he told me he had not eaten meat for fourteen years. His kids are rather prefer to be vegans. I looked at him as if he had managed to hold his breath that entire time. Today I know there is nothing rigorous or strange about eating a diet that excludes meat.

I've been vegetarian for years. On the few occasions I've eaten meat, nothing has happened.