Careers? This is probably going to sound crazy.?

So part of me has always wanted to be an elementary teacher. I love kids and I work in a daycare so I am around kids quite a bit. My only problem is the salary. I live in the south, and $30,000 a year just doesn't appeal to me. Also, my family thinks I need to do something more "prestigious" like a... show more So part of me has always wanted to be an elementary teacher. I love kids and I work in a daycare so I am around kids quite a bit. My only problem is the salary. I live in the south, and $30,000 a year just doesn't appeal to me. Also, my family thinks I need to do something more "prestigious" like a Pharmacist or a Speech Pathologist. They think I'm to smart to "settle" for being an elementary teacher. I have considered those careers, but they just seem boring to me. I know a Speech Pathologist can work in a school setting and can be very similar to a teacher but learning about speech disorders just doesn't sound like something I would be interested in. I've always been really good at English and grammar, but there doesn't seem to be many careers that have to do with English. Anyway i think it would be a fun career, but am I crazy to go into that field knowing that I will never make more that $50000 a year?
8 answers 8