CDC Report: A Quarter of U.S. women suffer domestic violence--is the CDC a tool of feminists?

The CDC report does state that US women and men both can experience domestic abuse during their lifetime, but they don't say the abuse is equally shared by men and women, instead they state more women experience domestic violence than men. I've seen anti-feminists claim men and women have the same domestic abuse rates in the US and claim that feminists lie about the rates. So do you think the CDC is a pawn of feminists, and is lying about domestic violence as anti-feminists claim? I find it difficult to believe that government agencies would lie about domestic violence, since I don't see what they would gain. Here's an article about the CDC report: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23056009/

• Favorite Answer

First of all, I should be clear here and say I didn't read the link. I'm interested in your question from the perspective of looking at domestic violence statistics and statistics in general. I don't think that statistics based on documented cases lie- but that's IF we're talking about statistics that are based ONLY on substantiated cases. There are a great many cases that go unreported on both sides (for women and men.) And there are a great many cases that are dropped or reduced and therefore result in no conviction or conviction of a lesser charge. One could speculate men probably do not report as often as women do. Also, based on my own experience (and that of others I know), one could also say that for every case that is reported by a woman (or a man, for that matter), many, many instances went unreported (by the same woman. Or man.) For example, the law intervened on my behalf three times over the course of 15 years (in regard to my ex-husband), however, that doesn't mean he was only abusive three times. (It was too many times to count.) And, there are many women for whom the law never becomes involved. Either they won't report because they fear the repercussions, or no one else intervenes for them (neighbors, etc.) Statistics don't lie. But sometimes they don't give the entire picture. What we "don't see" may be just as important as what we do see, when it comes down to it. What statistics say may well be completely factual, but it's what we conclude from them that can sometimes be faulty. We have to be very careful in how we interpret them, and by what means we use to justify our conclusions. Speculation, even educated guesses, can sometimes be wrong. Also, one should take into account who is using the statistics (and for what purpose)...if it is in order to maintain or justify a position or stance...if there is an agenda behind it that is highly charged or politically motivated, the statistics may be being used in a way that evokes a similarly emotionally charged response. Sometimes people who then are presented with these statistics fail to adequately use critical thinking skills (or become highly influenced or impressionable) because their emotions become heavily involved. They may miss the forest for the trees, so to speak.

And one must be at least a little bit wary of survey statistics. Surveys do leave room for false conclusions because of the potential for biased information, biased answers, and unclear questions, and subjectivity. Surveys rely on people being honest, rely on everyone understanding the questions, and having questions that are clearly relevant, and the survey being distributed randomly...too many variables left unaccounted for (or even the omission of one important or relevant variable) can skew the validity of the interpretation of, if not the, results. Even self-disclosure surveys have the potential to produce faulty results because they rely on one's perception of the event or question. This is not to say that surveys are completely useless. They are assumed to have a margin of error, however. But even the margin of error can be faulty. What I'm saying is, you have to be careful (once again I'm saying it!) of interpreting the results. Research that's done carefully and objectively has the best chance of being reliable. Surveys are not the most reliable means of research.

Another problem is, people like to use correlations as proof or evidence of something. Many do not seem to understand that correlation is NOT the same thing as causation. Proving a relationship between two variables exists does not mean that there is no chance at all of other variables existing that may be acting upon (or even causing) the "relationship." For example, we often see in this forum people who are saying that feminism is destroying the family structure. The people who make this claim are looking at this relationship as if it only had two variables: feminism, and family structure. However, it is likely that there are many other variables that are acting upon this relationship- for example, the economy and society's changing values and norms. So to say that one causes the other, without looking for other variables that may be causing the correlation, is biased and lacking in critical thinking. It leads to false conclusions that may have the potential to be quite harmful.

If feminists are using statistics by the CDC (or any other statistics) they likely are being used as a tool for some kind of agenda. That is not to say that this bad or good. What I would say is that we need to ask ourselves some very important questions: is the tool they are using a reliable tool? Is it valid? Is it objective? Are there things that are not being presented? Are we getting the entire picture or only part of it? How important are the pieces that might be left out? How emotionally charged do we feel after being presented with the information? Are our emotions interfering at all with our ability to use critical thinking? Are we motivated to explore all sides to the issue? Are we forming conclusions or judgments before we have all the relevant facts?

Note: Forgive the long answer, please...I am very passionate about critical thinking and I appreciate the opportunity to explore this topic in relation to your question!

"The CDC defined this as.............or emotional abuse......." Hmmmm, that's a pretty big loophole. How exactly do we define emotional abuse? They conveniently don't say. They also don't say how they obtained the data. Was it from surveys, police reports, convictions? That makes a big difference.

What would a government agency have to gain by lying? LOL. Government agencies tend to answer to government officials on some level, and elected officials have political agendas. While I would generally trust government reports, domestic violence has become the new McCarthyism, and these radical feminists wield a lot of influence through fear mongering.

For the record, I don't know or care which sex is abused more. Justice should not be based on statistics. A victim is a victim, and gender should have nothing to do with justice. That's like saying, "Well, if there's a fight between a black guy and a white guy, statistics show that the black guy is more likely to have started it. Therefore, let's tip the burden of proof onto the black guys to protect innocent white guys."

We are Americans. We do not administer justice based on what the statistics say about a person's group. We administer justice on an individual-by-individual basis.

Source(s): Edit to Jo above: yes, women use the court systems and shelters more. That's the whole point. Men are less likely to report; the system is stacked against them. Many shelters refuse to service men. Also, why are you drawing a distinction between "battering" and "common violence"? Abuse is abuse. And "self-defense" is not nearly as clear-cut as one might think. I'm afraid that you're the one who's biasing the information that you recieve, probably for your own psychological needs.

The CDC, WHO, National Institute of Justice, Dept. of Justice, FBI, etc, etc. all agree that women suffer more domestic violence.

The WHO distinguishes between battering and common conflict -- the studies that pick up more 'common conflict' are the ones that claim women and men initiate DV at equal rates. They often do not distinguish betw. violence used in defense and others....

Notice that none of these 50-50 studies mention that women use more services ---shelters, police, court systems, emergency rooms.

Women are more often the victim of battering than men - and hence, the need for such services.

The guys promoting the DV is 50-50 myth have an agenda. There are numerous ideas as to why....

Source(s): http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/viol... -- Read this report from the WHO - it explains the studies...

No, I don't think that the CDC is a pawn of feminist. I do understand the flaws in their study. I do agree that they should not have lumped together both physical and verbal abuse. But not having read the actual study, I have reservations about even this problem. I do believe that anecdotally and intuitively we all understand that women bear the burden of abuse not just in the US but all over the world. C'mon, we live with this day in and day out. We see it in our friends relationships and unfortunately in our own. Does anyone really need a study to know that violence begins at home and is usually suffered by the wife?

Well my Dad was a victim of abuse from my Mom. he never reported it for a few reasons. they would not believe him even if he had bruises and she didn't. he would be the one going to jail.

Another thing i should say here is my dad also abused my mom. they BOTH were at fault. they BOTH were and still are selfish JERKS. who got a kick out of hurting each other.

Yes there are a lot more Men that get abused but don't report it. but even if it's only true that a couple of men get abused does that make it OK? shouldn't they get help also? shouldn't we protect everyone? and yes i do think women can become the victim more. because people who get beat on can get really angry and snap after all how much abuse can anyone male or female take before they lose it?

People need to remember that violence no matter what kind is a HUMAN problem not a gender problem. violence knows no gender. the best thing to do is try and help the person who is the abuser before it is passed on to the children.

Just my 2 cents worth from watching my parents beat each other for the fun of it. God Bless

The real question is how is Domestic violence now defined. In some states Domestic Abuse includes the following. Questioning the spending habits of your partner, questioning the friends your Partner hangs out with, stomping your feet, raising your voice, the definition has been so broadened as to become almost meaningless. How is it defined? Why are there not more women with obvious bruises. Does it include Emotional Manipulation, arguments, isolation?

What is the motives of those who are promoting the study? Does the motivation include attempts to actually solve the problems, or is it to obtain more Government funding for the Domestic Abuse industry? I would encourage those really seeking answers to ask yourself this. If the Feminists use Domestic Abuse a mechanism to fund their movement. Is it in their best interests to resolve the problem? If they do what happens to their funding?

Its like the Doctor who cured all his patients. Once they are cured do they need him anymore? How will he support himself/herself with no patients.

I agree with Char. Most rapes and episodes of abuse against women go unreported. There's no way that the C.D.C can be fudging numbers to make it look like abuse

occurs more to a certain sex. Oh Yeah, and um, the C.D.C is government regulated. I don't think the government is controlled by feminists.

If it's a self-reporting survey and 11.5 percent of men reported the same type of violence, I wonder how many actually suffered it? I know more women are beaten by their SO's than report it because of the codependence, hassle, and shame.

So how high must the number for men be? They experience even more shame, coupled with the fact that they aren't often believed.

It still amazes me that either number is that high. That's rotten. As for the CDC being a tool of feminists, I don't believe that. I think they would bristle at the idea of being anyone's tool. They'll tangle with anybody.

I read that last night. The CDC findings are in keeping with other findings that one-quarter to ONE THIRD of women suffer domestic violence.

Flaws with the instrument include:

- Including incidents of mental/emotional/verbal abuse along with physical violence. They are not the same thing and I don't think they should have been included. I'm sure this move was very controversial from the outset. What constitutes verbal abuse? No definitions were provided; this is impossible to accurately measure.

- using only one method (in this case a self-disclosure survey)

Other types of instruments should include:

- police reports

- hospital ER reports

- court records

- social worker reports

- psychologist's reports

- coroner's reports

and the like.

Including such materials would have measured the SEVERITY and DURATION of the abuse.

Self-disclosure surveys on their own don't make reliable instruments. Technically, throwing a dry towel at someone is physical abuse, and I am guilty of this despicable act. This makes me an abuser.

TERA:

It was a self-disclosure survey; there was no need to document actual reports, only instances of domestic abuse as defined by the CDC. So I think that is useful in using this instrument in addition to other kinds of instruments; cases that weren't reported but nevertheless did occur can be noted by the individual filling out the survey.

randomzz

Data collected from self-disclosure surveys is the ONLY kind of data supporting the notion that domestic violence against men is as frequent (or roughly so) as domestic violence against women.

Gawd I can't stop laughing. Feminists have nothing to worry about with brainy guys like you lot at the forefront of the 'masculinist' movement, lol!

*wipes tears*

Ahhhhhh... anyway, I also agree that the real numbers are higher than the CDC study suggests. Women are far more likely to be choked, strangled and murdered. The violence against women is more severe, and lasts longer (other data shows).

I think there is more domestic abuse of women than is reported. No, the CDC is not a tool.

C. :)

• doug g

No people should know that this number may even be higher do to non reported incidents this is a sad statement about society.