how far do archery bows go???

i need to know how powerful a bow is before i buy one. my garden is only about 25-30 yards. so i dont need a very powerful one. Thanks

Update:

Yeh yeh! i know the bow doesn't go anywhere, thank you all for mentioning that. but i hope you know what i mean

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

I know what you meant to ask, so I won't even bother with jokes about bows not going anywhere....

Each bow is rated for how much force is needed to pull the string back to a specific point -- i.e., "40 lbs @ 28 inches" means it takes 40 pounds of force to pull the string back 28 inches. As long as your aim is spot-on every time you send an arrow towards the target, it doesn't matter how "powerful" the bow is. **For all those who say that a "kid's bow" doesn't have enough power to send an arrow more than 10 yards -- I have personally witnessed a 40-year archery veteran using a 60 pound-draw compound bow lose out to a 15-year-old using a 20 pound-draw fibre-glass longbow -- at 30 yards; yes, the kid really was that damn good, and he really was using a REAL BOW. I've seen a 20 lb bow send arrows more than 80 yards, and with a fair amount of accuarcy, considering.

Now, before you go out and buy yourself a bow, you need to check with your local authorities as to whether it is legal to practice archery in your yard/garden (go to the County courthouse/City Hall/Mayor's Office/etc - don't ask only the police, because they don't like to do the paperwork and they might just say "no" regardless). If you live in a city, it will most likely NOT be legal.

IF it is legal for you to practice archery in your yard/garden, I suggest that you start with a low-poundage bow, around 20 lb draw; regardless what others might say it is much easier to learn on a light-weight bow than on a heavy-weight bow -- simply because the light-weight bow is easier to control (if you can't control the bow, you won't gain any real skill as an archer). As you gain strength and skill, you can increase draw weight (easy to do with a compound, but you will have to get another bow if you decide to get a "traditional" bow - a bow without "wheels").

Beware of using only hay bales or straw targets -- arrows have a nasty habit of passing clean through them due to "soft spots" in the bales. You need to have a good backstop BEHIND the bales/target; the target is attached to the "front" of the bale(s). A good backstop can be made by hanging discarded carpeting between the bale(s) and the fence; do not attach the backstop to the fence, or it will never keep the arrows from hitting the fence; tightly woven carpeting has been known to stop even broadheads. (Don't hang it tight, hang it loosely; the carpeting will "catch" the arrow, absorbing the impact, and allow it to simply drop to the ground). Wooden fences generally do not make good backstops, by the way, because the arrow can break when it hits the fence; metal fences NEVER make good backstops, for what should be a very obvious reason.

Targets can be made out of cardboard boxes, stuffed with more cardboard or plastic bags; pre-made styrofoam cubes sold in archery shops; burlap bags stuffed with plastic bags and/or paper bags; paper plates; a piece of cloth; etc. If it can be placed in front of or attached to the target butt (the hay bales), and it won't damage your arrows as they enter/pass through it, it can be used as a target. If you keep the target(s) low to the ground, you won't have to worry too much about arrows going too high -- but sometimes arrows will "skip" when they hit the ground, too, so be careful; about stomach height is good for placing the target(s).

Now, for those who say that a huge amount of space is required for archery (no matter how "powerful" the bow is), it is more than merely possible to practice indoors at home -- say, in an apartment; just hang a tight-woven blanket in a doorway (fasten it down ONLY at the top, leave the sides/bottom loose - just like with the carpeting backstop above) and use blunt-tipped arrows (rubber blunts work really good for this). You shoot at the blanket, the blanket "catches" the arrows -- and the arrows drop to the floor. Yes, it really does work......

In all cases, make sure it is SAFE to practice archery. Be sure of what is behind the target/butt at all times; one of the worst experiences in life is to kill someone -- perhaps a child -- because you didn't bother to make sure it was safe to shoot. If you use the blanket-in-the-doorway method, use a doorway that you KNOW will not be used while you are practicing -- and when in doubt, ***block the path to the doorway*** on the other side of the blanket. SAFETY -- FOR YOURSELF AND OTHERS -- SHOULD ALWAYS COME FIRST IN ARCHERY.

Make sure it is legal to practice archery in your yard/garden first, and if it is -- have fun.

Source(s): 30+ years archery experience; doing, learning, teaching, researching -- not always in that order. I have my own 30-yard outdoor practice range at home, down the hill from the house and just off the drive.
  • randkl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Go for a 30-35 pound fiberglass recurve as your max. You'll have all the power you need to hit a target as far as your yard will allow and it won't kill anyone or anything if it misses the backstop.

Generally speaking....and this is a rough estimate....you can figure on an arrow traveling 10 yards per pound. That's if you were shooting upwards at an angle with the intent of max range. A 30# bow would reach out to 300+ yards. Ebay fiberglass Bear bow with off the shelf arrows, you can cut that in half, though.

Lighter than 30# and you'll be in the neighborhood of kid's bows and learning to shoot on one of those is actually quite a bit harder than a real bow. It's easier to learn on a consistent middle weight than a poor light weight.

Addendum: **For all those who say that a "kid's bow" doesn't have enough power to send an arrow more than 10 yards**

If that's what you got out of that post, bud, perhaps you need a refresher course in reading comp? I said you won't find any kids' bows on the common market that are consistent at those lighter weights, not that they couldn't shoot that far. The lighter your bow weight, the more your arrows' weight comes into play....and anything less than 30# or so won't shoot consistently enough to learn the sport. One arrow might fly straight and the next drop to the ground half way. The power of a kids' bow has nothing to do with anything....the consistency and the ability to throws arrows at a constant velocity are all that matters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You definitely need to go to a Archery shop. The proprietor there will give you an education on the different styles and types of bows available. And show you the arrows and the many different types of arrow heads for different game. And as the others have mentioned the bow launches the arrow and it goes. The bow stays in your hand. Small game needs only a modest 30lb to 50lb rated bow.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Which ever hand you pull the string back with, let's say right, the arrow will always be on the opposite side of the bow. Me, I draw the string with my right hand so the arrow is on the left side of the bow. The arrow is always on the side of the bow that you hold the bow in. Left hand holds bow, arrow on the left. BUT.....and this is a big but....it's traditional crap that holds no real sway in archery today. It's like only mounting a horse from the left side so your sword doesn't get in your way as you mount. Well, I don't really worry about my sword these days but it's still traditional to mount on the left. Most societies that relied on mounted archery would have the arrow on the left side of the bow just like today so while riding, they could hold the arrow in place with the index finger. Mongols, Chinese, Europeans to a large degree used the left side finger hold. Other societies like the American Indians traditionally used the arrow on the right side until they met up with the mounted Europeans and switched to the left side mounted finger grip. Japanese and Chinese, period artworks exist to show they both used both sides. Up til a couple of decades ago, most bows you could pick up, if they weren't compound types, had dual arrow rests so you could choose for yourself. Me, I prefer the right side thumb grip (arrow held in place by the left thumb on the right side of the bow), but my last three bows all have/had left side rests so there is no choice any more. Hope that helps.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As an old Indian Chief once told me "Bow stay, arrow go."

Many high schools and summer camps have archery programs. They would be a good place to start looking for info. because their bows are not all that powerful but will shoot an arrow at least 25 yards with reasonable accuracy.

• Growl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

For International target rounds, standard indoor distances are 18m and 25m. Outdoor distances range from 30m to 90m. In the Olympic Games, 70m is used.

The furthest distance shot with any bow is 2,047 yards (1,871.84m) . This was shot by the late Harry Drake in 1988 using a crossbow. The furthest with a hand-held - and pulled - bow is 1,336 yds 1' 3" (1,222.01m) , shot by Don Brown with an unlimited conventional Flight bow in 1987.

Target archery and flight archery are very different. Target archery is scored for accuracy at standard distances. Flight archery is scored only for distance where the arrow lands on the ground. Bows are different, arrows are different, techniques are different. There is really no comparison.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its determined by how much poundage your draw weight is at. A bow set at 25 lbs wont shoot near as far as a bow set at 70 pounds. Also note if you live in town more than likely its prohibited to shoot a bow in the city limits. Be sure to check your local laws and regulations governing this.

Source(s): 25+ years hunting experience ex Military Sniper, Collector military assault rifles and Pistols, Class III firearms license Life Member NRA do your part to protect your 2nd Amendment right JOIN the NRA Today.
  • 1 decade ago

I'm going to guess that you want to use the bow to shoot varmints in your garden.....if you are in city limits it is illegal to shoot a firearm.

If this is the case then an air rifle with a 1000+ feet per second speed would be a good option and easier to use. Other than that, any bow with a light pull weight would suffice, anything around 30-40 lb draw.

• 1 decade ago

Watched a show yesterday where they were demonstrating a new bow. This particular bow had a 95 LB draw weight and the guy hit the bullseye at 110 yards.

• randy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Just set up a good backstop. I use hay or better yet straw bales. stack a double row, 3 bales high and two bales deep. Place your target on the center bale, or get a "cube" type target and set it on another bale set in front of the others. Shoot at 20 and 30 yards. If you are JUST target shooting, a bow under 40lbs draw (compound bow) is fine, if hunting is in the future, at least 40 lb draw is required.

Source(s): Retired Police Officer NRA certified police firearms instructor Trained at GLOCK, COLT and S&W armorers schools Ran a gun shop for many years Fired both rifle and handgun competitions And have been an avid hunter since age 9 with Archery, Black Powder, Shotgun, Handgun and Modern Rifle
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.