Is it morally right to be wealthy christian?

Is it right to have lots of money when there are millions of poor people all accross the world? Surely being a christian means you have to help others, by having lots of money you are not helping people to the best of your potential. So is it right? What do you think?

• Mick

Nope. They should give me all their money.

It's not wrong to make a lot of money, however it is wrong to see a need that you can help with and do nothing. And considering that there is so much need out there, there should be a lot more Christians doing a lot more to help others. Not that it's wrong to provide a good life for your family, but you gotta ask yourself if your kids really need 50 disney movies, or could they get by with 10 and use your money to help a mom in need buy her kids some school clothes or something.

I also think for a lot of western Christians it would not hurt to TRAVEL and find out really how things are in other countries. I grew up knowing there were poor people of course, but it was such a totally different experience when I was in Chile and saw with my own eyes a severely retarded man propped up on the street with a cup to collect change, and around the corner a mom begging with her 2 kids and newborn. Some things you just don't see in the states that will move you to the core and change the kind of person you are... it can be a bit overwhelming to see it first hand, but it's so worth it to open yourself up to the things God can help you do with the resources he's given you.

Not Morally right, but it is Christian to be wealthy - look at the parable of the talents, where Christ made it clear that it was a sin not to maximise profits! Or his throw away remark that the poor are with you always (So the charity money was better spent on perfumed oil for his own use)

Mind you, he also said that it was easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle that a rich man to get into 'the kingdom', but hey, consistency was never a strong point in the bible!

• gumby

If you worked hard for your wealth and you do give plenty in charitable offerings then yes, it's fine. Some of the wealthiest people I know are also the most generous. But you can't just walk around giving money to the poor. Take the homeless for example. Many are homeless because they have fought with addiction and lost. If you gave $100 to a homeless person, odds are that they would spend it on their addiction of choice.

Besides that, I look at my parents, who are fairly wealthy. They have been extremely generous. They usually donate around 20% of their income to various charities. But they have also saved a lot. And it's a good thing. My mom is now on her 5th type of cancer and my youngest brother was just diagnosed with schizophrenia. The out of pocket costs for the care of those things are astronomical. If my parents hadn't been wise in saving a large chunk of their money, they would be facing a choice of no treatment or bankruptcy.

Source(s): I'm not saying all homeless people are addicts, I'm merely making a point by using accurate statistics.

Being a wealthy Christian is not an issue. What and how you use your money becomes an issue. Being a steward or not.

As well, it is not if a Christian has money, but if the money has the Christian!

I wish I had some right now! =)

If God has blessed a Christian by giving them wealth, that's wonderful. The important thing is that they don't forget who is responsible for those blessings and that they continue to give back to God through service and donations. As long as your don't become controlled by the money, but instead treat it as an opportunity to serve God's kingdom, it won't be a problem.

yes i dont think that by being poor i will in any way help another person but if i have then i can give more i think its alright for someone to be rich why dont you ask hugh heffner the same question or those in the entertainment industry such questions you wont because targeting christians is a sport for you

It is not wrong to own money as a christian and lots of it as well. The bible only points out that if you are rich, it might be harder for you to let go of your material possessions. The bible story of the rich man going to hell highlights God's understanding that money is the root of all evil. But it is not necessarily wrong to own lots of money if you tidth ten percent of your capital gains.

• Here is the problem.

Jesus clearly tells a parable of a rich man who cannot give up his riches and follow Jesus. He then says it is almost impossible for the rich to enter the kingdom of God.

In order for the rich to accept Christianity, without giving up their wealth, they must find a way to get around that story. Most of them claim that Jesus was only talking to that one guy.

I disagree, and find most of those explanations very subjective and a big doctrinal stretch. As soon as people start telling you that Jesus meant something other than what he said he meant, there is a problem, because that type of reasoning can lead people anywhere including Jonestown.

The other problem is that the church needs the rich in order to support its existence. Without the rich the church ceases to exist.

Why not? God wants his children to prosper, as any Father would. Jesus tells us in Luke 6:38

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

In fact, God even has and answer for those who have doubts. In Malachi God says;

Malachi 3:10

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

For those who say that the blessings are just spiritual blessings, Jesus says in Matthew

Matthew 6:25-34

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

What things will God add? He tells us in those first verses, food, drink, clothes . . . in other words material things, not just spiritual things.

God was us to prosper not for ourselves, but that we can help others. We are not to store up, but give. The more we give, the more we prosper.

• John G

This is a difficult one. If you are going to follow Christ wholeheartedly then, yes, it all has to go and you too, to give yourself fully to the love of others. I knew a man who sold up, went to live on an island off the Phillipines designated for lepers only. He gave his all, his life and skills totally. He was the sort of Christian who put himself in the front line. Others I know, here in this small English town where I live, have devoted their lives to doing good to and for others with not a thought for themselves. Spent out, worked out and in the service of Christ. Another friend of ours has just signed up to go to India to work among the Dalits, freely and without pay. These are the Christian folk. If you have megabucks and don't give them away then you disobey Christ who said, 'Go give all your goods away to the poor and come and follow me.'