Bec asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

"I'm not going to vote for Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon..." Excuse me?

I have been shocked to hear this argument from many over the course of the past few weeks. "No," they say, "I won't vote for Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon." I think I almost puked when I heard it - its almost as bad as when I hear people say, "Well, you're a woman, so why don't you vote for Hillary?" Both of these arguments are just proof that America is becoming increasingly ignorant and in hearing them, I am only more convinced that elections determined purely by the popular vote are a bad idea. ANYWAY, I am not a bigoted person and believe, GENERALLY speaking, that a person's religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc. etc. should not play a role in whether or not they are elected, unless of course, they unreasonably affect their stance on certain issues. Thus, I cannot understand those who believe they should, especially when considering the arguments about Hillary and Romney. So, do me a favor, and please explain this logic...

• Rick R
    Favorite Answer

Wow!!! I agree completely. I do think however that as a nation, we need the person speaking for us to other countries dignitaries be a good representation of who we are as a country. So I do not support a openly gay candidate for example. I think that Americans are afraid or incapable of expressing what is really on their minds, so they may generalize or go with the majority in comments they make. Good question/observation. Thank you for getting me to think a little deeper.

<>< Let me first say that because I am an Independent, I am not allowed to vote in my state today. That being said, I do like Mitt Romney and what he stands for for the most part. However, having worked with Mormons for many years I have to tell you that they do promote their own (have seen managers on many occasions select a fellow Mormon for a postion that s/he was clearly not the best for) so this would give me some pause if I were to cast a vote today. It would not be the only indicator but it has crossed my mind. I like the Mormons, I have respect for Mormons and their beliefs, and again, like him.

If you have not been following some of the religious discussions online that do not make it to the media, then I guess you would be shocked. Having heard the repeated call that a "true christian" should never vote for a mormon, I am not surprised at all.

Also, if you are not LDS, then perhaps it is difficult to understand the bitter feelings that many people have towards us, particularly those of mainstream christianity (not all, mind you, but a large chunk of them). Many of these people have told me to my face that I am a devil worshipping cult member who is going to burn in Hell unless I accept the real Jesus. So, is it a surprise to me that they won't vote for a member of my church? Not really.

You answered your own question when you said that you are a person who believes that religion, sex, race, etc., should not play a role EXCEPT when these things affect their stance on certain issues. That is the case when you are looking at certain religions. People who are extreme to the left or right. For example, you probably wouldn't feel comfortable voting for a satanist, as you probably wouldn't feel comfortable voting for an extreme born again christian. The mormon religion, if you research it enough, as I have, is extreme in it's beliefs and many even argue whether it is a religion or a cult. At it's core mormons believe that the only "true" people are mormons and they are the only ones going to heaven, or in the "celestial kingdom", as they call it. They also believe that people like you and I can become Gods in the celestial kingdom, or at least men can. That to me, is not only extreme, but absurd. I am not a mormon nor is most of the United States and I would not vote for Romney, as most Americans will not-he has no chance of winning. I would not vote for Romney because he is a mormon.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints seems so strange to many. I grew up around "Mormons" and liked every one I knew. But when you begin to learn about some of their practices it really sounds tough to understand. And yes, with a few exceptions, I think religion should be kept out of politics. Religion always suffers when it gets into politics. But the U.S. is not more ignorant than it ever was. These things have been around since before Colonial times. Read the play The Crucible.

You are completely correct, there is no logic in the minds of whoever said this. There have been rumors saying Barack Obama is a Muslim, and he is not. But if he was, who cares? You would be a real sicko if you didn't vote for a person because of his/her religion, gender, or race. You're very smart by bringing this topic up and you're completely right! If I wasn't a Democrat I would vote for Mitt Romney!

Sorry Ian, but Huckabee is for securing borders. People shouldn't vote for a leader just because of their religion, they need to know what the candidate stands for and how they really will do their job and listen to the American people. I am voting for a good leader who wants to secure our borders. Huckabee has more years in government than the rest of the candidates and stands for the same issues I stand for. He has been a good leader for his state and has the experience to lead. Now for Hillary, she is a liberal and she wants to raise taxes. She is against things like a communist. There are lots against her in the past when her husband Bill was president. Do some research on her and Bill you will be shocked. Now for Romney, he is a good candidate as well. I don't care if he is a Mormon, Christian, Hindu, Jew, etc....he still has leadership in his own state. I guess it will be tough for me to make a decision with Huckabee and Romney.

I am voting for Pesdient Obama because he cares for all people not just a select few and because he has our best interest at heart unlike Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan. Obama and Biden 2012. Moving foreward not backwards.

I don't get it either

I'm fed up with anything to do with elections and I don't believe that any of the candidates we have now are worth voting for.

These things are getting on my nerves! I think our nation should become non-partisan and only give each candidate a LOW set amount of money to spend on their campaign.

i've yet to hear anyone say that seriously...i could care less about what church he goes to, although i'm not sure how he squares serving alcohol at his campaign events with his past positions of leadership within an alcohol-free church...but that's something he'll have to work out for himself...what galls me about him is how he's made a career of turning 180 degrees away from 'deeply held' positions and beliefs in order to win votes...it makes me wonder if he has ANY principles at all! he's the phoniest candidate out there; i wouldn't trust him to run a lemonade stand, let alone the executive branch of the national government...