"I'm not going to vote for Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon..." Excuse me?

I have been shocked to hear this argument from many over the course of the past few weeks. "No," they say, "I won't vote for Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon." I think I almost puked when I heard it - its almost as bad as when I hear people say, "Well, you're a woman, so why... show more I have been shocked to hear this argument from many over the course of the past few weeks. "No," they say, "I won't vote for Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon." I think I almost puked when I heard it - its almost as bad as when I hear people say, "Well, you're a woman, so why don't you vote for Hillary?" Both of these arguments are just proof that America is becoming increasingly ignorant and in hearing them, I am only more convinced that elections determined purely by the popular vote are a bad idea. ANYWAY, I am not a bigoted person and believe, GENERALLY speaking, that a person's religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc. etc. should not play a role in whether or not they are elected, unless of course, they unreasonably affect their stance on certain issues. Thus, I cannot understand those who believe they should, especially when considering the arguments about Hillary and Romney. So, do me a favor, and please explain this logic...