Where do people get the notion that Jehovah Witnesses are a cult?

OK,

I know every religion seems to bash every other religion but I have never heard so much BS when it comes to what people believe about Jehovah Witnessess.

I have heard " the don't believe in Jesus" Try reading John 3:16

I mean where do people get this crap from. Oh it's a Cult. They Brain wash people.

Come on people I dare anyone to attend one day of their annuall assembly in your city. Just one day. I think you might think different about all of this.

So my Question is where do you get the crap from and Will you take my deal open minded????

PS. I am not a JW but I have been to assemblys and studied. I also grew up methadist and Luthern so have seen most of it.

Credentials: fundamentalist Christian, former Roman Catholic, and have been exposed to considerable Jehovah's Witness (JW) proselytization.

1) "cult?"

People have a very vague definition of "cult". The reason that so many Christians consider the JWs to be a "cult" is that

a) Their beliefs differ in ways much different than most Christian sects (Cs) (particularly, they do not teach the doctrine of trinity)

b) They are true "evangelicals" in the sense that all members are expected to evangelize and, unlike most other Cs, this is done door-to-door, at people's homes.

In fact, these are in-and-of themselves not features that identify a "cult". A cult normally is a group of individuals who follow the teachings of a specific leader (who is normally considered a "prophet"), and this leader and his teachings is normally honored above scripture or anything else. There are other aspects of a cult (such as recruitment "phases") which the JWs only very marginally resemble.

2) BS about JWs

This is an accurate statement. People of other Cs have heard such negative things about JWs that they often do not bother to learn the truth about their doctrines. This is not *wholly* unreasonable. I, for example, have no interest whatsoever in learning how to become a worshiper of the Hindu goddess of death Kali. Nevertheless, a number of false concepts about JW doctrine have been circulated among Christians in the U.S.

3) brainwashing

This is one aspect of JW doctrine which I find disturbing. Note that they do not actually use brainwashing techniques. However, they *do* "strongarm" people into doctrinal agreement (as do Mormons and some other sects). For example, in the Roman Catholic Church (RCC), members are permitted to "campaign" for doctrinal reform. As an example, take the doctrine of the prohibition of women priests. Members of the RCC are permitted to protest this doctrine, they are permitted to publish letters and books in support of changing this doctrine and expressing any perceived faults with the current doctrine. As long as members of the RCC *obey* the teachings of the RCC, they are permitted to *question* the teachings of the RCC to their heart's desire. This is not true of the JWs. Individuals who question the doctrines of the organization in a public manner are "disfellowshiped", or removed from the organization. Private questions to the organization headquarters are permitted, but once a ruling has been made, the matter is considered closed, and the individual is not permitted to pursue other avenues to promote or resolve their doctrinal contentions.

This establishes a atmosphere of fear within JW congregations with respect to doctrinal purity. Members are literally afraid of questioning the doctrines presented to them from "on high" for fear of being "disfellowshiped". This is *not* an atmosphere that lends itself to doctrinal improvements. This is not to say that the JW organization has never modified their teachings as the result of improved or new scholarship. The point is that this is *entirely* and *solely* in the hands of the leaders of the organization, and members are expected to believe what they are told whether or not they have been provided underlying reasons. They are persuaded to affirm these directives from the "home office" with the prospect of "disfellowship" if any public disagreement or dissatisfaction with these doctrines is displayed.

One example that I can provide from personal experience: the 1914 "prophecy" of the JWs. This is based on the use of the date of 607 B.C.E. as the date of the Babylonian Captivity and destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. This was, at one time, believed to be an accurate date. However, archaeologists have determined from *lunar records* kept by the Babylonians themselves, which are incontrovertibly precise, that the actual date for this event is 586 B.C.E. This date has been an established fact for several decades. When I presented this to a Jehovah's Witness, with full documentation (the tablets and their translation are available on the internet), I was given several (lame) excuses before being told that the date I had discovered *must* be inaccurate. In other words, the JWs continue to rely on a known fallacy in order to retain their prophetically significant date of 1914. When I asked if the member to whom I presented this would be willing to write, he was not willing, and furthermore he assured me that the organization would not budge on the date of 1914, even in the face of such conclusive evidence.

There are other teachings doctrines of the JWs that are questionable (for example, they allow women to speak publicly to the congregation during religious services, *specifically* for the purpose of teaching, which is specifically prohibited in scripture).

Conclusion: the JWs have some teachings that are well apart from so-called "mainstream Christianity", but they are most certainly Christians and they are most certainly not a cult.

Jim, http://www.jimpettis.com/wheel/

Gossip, made up by many individuals. It is a popular hobby which is why it is so condemned in the Bible. Even if people are not religious or are even atheist, it is a popular thing to know horrible gossip about certain religions, sexual orientations, etc.

You would not believe all the "gay" jokes and rumors out there such as that gays "shrimp" that is use straws to drink their own sperm out of the rear end of other gay men.....

JWs, gays and others are not liked, are different, so people just make up whatever they want.

And former ones who've been disfellowshipped for some gross wrongdoing, get mad and add to the lies and rumors.

Bad thing is as they say "bad news travels fast" and is more believed. People don't want to hear good things...hence all the paparazzi after movie stars, all the people to gather "dirt" in every corner of the world on every group of people there is.

It's not JWs only, but it is infantile, stupid and unreasonable.

Debbie

If one went to dictionary.com and looked up 'cult' they would find that many mainstream religions (including Catholicism) fall into that category. But, it's mainly a put-down, supposed to either make us feel badly or discourage people who may be interested in the truth from searching.

By the way food_the if that were true, I be scared, too. Fortunately it isn't. Unfortunately, you believe that it is. Did you know that there are a number of other famous individuals besides Michael Jackson that are JWs. Google 'famous Jehovah's Witnesses'.

They get this notion from believing lies of other people. For instance Linda...Jehovah's Witnesses are "allowed" to talk to there families who aren't witnesses. Just because they don't go over for the holidays doesn't mean there aren't other days you cant be with your family. I don't know what you are talking about, but I will say that sadly there are JW's out there who have separated from there non believing families, but it has nothing to do with what is taught in the meetings.

Jehovah's Witness believe Jesus is our savior and Jehovah is the almighty God, the one that gave Jesus the grand privilege to save humanity from total destruction.

Yes, thank you, If you go to any assembly at least for one day, I know you'll think otherwise, if your heart is pure and truly wish to know what the bible teaches.

Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT a cult and anyone who has actually done any kind of research concerning Jehovah's Witnesses knows this. People who oppose Jehovah's Witnesses like to use the word 'cult' because this word has a general negative connotation. They are counting on people who are not familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses to simply accept this false label and then ignorantly repeat what they have been told.

The following shows how this label is completely untrue:

Cults are regarded as being small, local groups. In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses currently number over 7,ooo,ooo and can be found in almost every country of the world.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/

The World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses is in New York. Located there is the Governing Body, a central group of experienced elders who oversee the worldwide congregation.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Worldwide Organization and Work

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

--------------------------------------.…

Cults are also regarded as encouraging their adherents to live in groups apart from the rest of society. Many also think of cults as being secretive about their activities or having something to hide.

In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses live and work in the midst of other people. They have nothing to hide. In fact, they desire to tell anyone who is willing to listen about everything that they believe.

Their book Jehovah's Witnesses—Proclaimers of God's Kingdom correctly notes: "Jehovah's Witnesses are in no sense a secret society. Their Bible-based beliefs are fully explained in publications that are available to anyone. Additionally, they put forth special effort to invite the public to attend meetings to see and hear for themselves what takes place."

Cult members are also associated with following living human leaders.

Yet Jehovah's Witnesses do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader. Jehovah’s Witnesses follow what Jesus taught and put it into practice:

See: "Who is Jesus Christ?"

That is what it means to be a Christian. Accordingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to adhere strictly to the precepts established by the first Christians.

Jehovah's Witnesses base all of their beliefs, their standards for conduct, and organizational procedures on the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion.

Rather than relying solely on hearsay and running the risk of parroting bad information, Jehovah's Witnesses encourage people to investigate this further FOR THEMSELVES. This way, one will be in a position to be properly informed as to the true faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The best way to find out more about Jehovah's Witnesses via the Internet is through the pages of their official website:

Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20100...

Recommended Related Articles:

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-je...

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Really a Cult? - Showing How This Label is Incorrect

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/201...

My thoughts was honestly like that. I have been reading their answers to many questions and there is truth in what they say. I believe to that Jesus is the *begotten Son of Jehovah God* and not God Himself. I don't agree with everything they say, but so the world keeps turning. Nobody's perfect and we all have disagreements. We should respect each other's opinion and have patience with one another. That is how Jesus got unbeliever's to believe. I don't see them as cults or occults. Their religion is as clean as they can make it; and there is where the Holy Spirit dwells.

A lot of it comes from misinformation, especially by those who know NOTHING about Jehovah's Witnesses except the lies that they too have been fed from another misinformed one.

Fat chance, that any of the cowards who openly bash us will have enough courage to attend an assembly or a meeting, and find out for themselves what the JW's believe. It's too easy for the likes of them to be filled with hatred and prejudice....than to have any opportunity to re-adjust their way of thinking, if they did that, then who would they have to pick on?

Have you heard the old saying..."misery loves company?" Well, the miserable ones can't deal with their sad state of life, so they need fuel to keep the mess aflame!

ps. thank you for your kind words, that took courage.

• hunter

As you suggested it is a notion that ones have derived from ignorance of facts and truth that makes these ones declare themselves enemies of J W 's whom they despise .Baring that fact some honest hearted ones have been been blinded by such ignorance of some who know better and persist to downgrade J W's. In spite of these ones thousands the world over are finding spiritual relief and freedom from false beliefs because of the fine work that J W's are accomplishing in their work in over 236 lands and Islands ,needless to say in many languages.

• Alex

Some define a cult this way: "a religious group, often living together, whose beliefs are considered extreme or strange by many people." But the correct definition would be "a religion that is said to be unorthodox or that emphasizes devotion according to prescribed ritual. Many cults follow a living human leader, and often their adherents live in groups apart from the rest of society." Obviously, Jehovah's Witnesses cannot be named a cult.

"Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. Rejoice and leap for joy, since your reward is great in the heavens; for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you." -- Matthew 5:10-12

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20000622/article_02.ht...

• even meetings at the kingdom hall anyone can come in and visit and see what we are doing. I was jewish before I became a Jehovah Witness. also I have friends that are not witnesses so we can talk with people who are not witnesses. they call us a cult because we don't believe in the trinity. they also listen to unsilence lioness who has followers and there lies