Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How to write a date in Roman Numerals?

12/7/2008

I know it's XII VII MMVIII but is that right? I would like it correct as they would have written it as I want it as a tattoo.

Actually the Romans would have written 12th July 2008 as

A.D. IV ID. IVL. MMDCCLXI AUC - read that as "four days before the Ides of July 2761 since the foundation of the city (of Rome)".

• redus

Roman Date Format

• Linda

Dates specifically I don't know. But to write numbers in Roman is easy. The basic units are: I - 1 V - 5 X - 10 L - 50 C - 100 D - 500 M - 1000 To write a number just put the same letter as many times as it requires to represent the number you want, with the only exception that if it's closer to the next unit then you have to include it too. Now, a lower unit to the left of a higher one means that the lower quantity has to be subtracted from the higher one. On the other hand, when the lower unit is to the right of the higher one the you have to sum it up. Examples: -Repeating the same letter- II - 2 III - 3 XX - 20 XXX - 30 -When the number is closer to the next "letter" than to the previous one then you have to include that letter at the end, which will mean you're subtracting. IV - 4 V - 5 XL - 40 L - 50 -When you want to continue a number from an specific "letter" just write the highest one at the start and then add the lower ones until the previous case I mentioned repeats itself. LX - 60 LXX - 70 LXXX - 80 XC - 90 C - 100 CX - 110 There you go. Now some examples: 1080 - MLXXX 3589 - MMMDLXXXIX 2008 - MMVIII Have a good night. ;)

• Rolf

I really am not sure that this is correct way to write a date if you want to use the Roman format.

You are simply translating a date normally written in Arabic

numerals into Roman numerals.

However, the Romans did not use the day, month, year format, but rather a format that counted days before, and after, the Ides and Nones of the months, and I rather doubt that many people would even recognise this format as a date!

• garik

As Alex points out, the Roman numerals are right (well, the use of Roman numerals actually varied rather a lot through history, but yours are certainly correct by modern standards), but Romans just didn't write dates in that day-month-year way.

I think yove got it right & thats how you write that date.M is definatly the roman numeral for 1000,I looked it up so you would think that MM would be 2000 & MMVIII would be 2008.

Source(s): Encarta English Dictionary to check that M was roman numeral 1000.

Number of day and year are correct... I'm not sure they (Latin) used numerals for month (XII Iulii MMVIII)

You are correct.

No gaps between the full date XIIVIIMMVIII is correct

google it