How can I get rid of rats without poising them?

I live in a very rural area so rabbits and rats are common just recently rats destroyed some of my waterpipes...I can't poison them as I have five dogs and three of them only very young puppies. Any ideas?

60 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

The poisons don't really work now, anyway, because the rats have become immune to all of them, although not so much in the country. So all they represent is more food, and therefore encouragement. But in any case they are very inhumane and if the dead, dying or merely contaminated victim is eaten by another predator or scavenger, these too become victims (whether or not the rodent is effected).

The only really good way to control them - and it is an especially good method in the country - is to encourage owls. In particular Barn Owls. You can do this by building nesting platforms in old buildings, or by erecting a Barn Owl nesting box. This is essentially like a small dog kennel but about 20 - 30 feet up a tree. Leave a landing platform in front of quite a large entrance with about a four-inch plank across the bottom of the opening over which the owl will climb in from the platform.

They are relentlessly effective pest-controllers and spectacular to watch - quartering their territory, sometimes really close to the ground, like great white-brown moths.

They are also very territorial, so if you erect more than one box, and are lucky enough to attract an owl, remove the other boxes when it has made its choice, so as not to attract others which might disturb 'your' bird.

And don't forget, mice, rats and other rodents are a natural part of the country fauna, it is just plagues of them that are a problem, a 'healthy' (in both senses of the word) population is not a problem and is needed to sustain their predators - it is the absence of these latter, killed off by the use of various chemicals getting into their food (prey) which is what leads to the plagues.

Give it a try and good luck. (And as you say, keep clear of the poisons).

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Treatment of Hemorrhoids http://sparkindl.info/HemorrhoidsNaturalCure
  • Piglet
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

A well-trained rat hunter such as a terrier may do with one or two and a lot of patience, but the best way to get rid of rats and other vermin is by getting a ferret to visit! You may find one locally seeing you live in the country. A ferret keeper/fancier/breeder will probably lend you one or come over to "do the job". One whiff of a ferret and the rats will flea for their lives.... A ferret will also get down holes too small for a terrier to flush out any macho rats! Good luck!

• Adele
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I've had Hemorrhoids for nearly 40 years now. I use to suffer badly from moderate chronic Hemorrhoids combined with unbearable swelling and bleeding. As with numerous other Hemorrhoids sufferers, I've been fold to "accept and live with it" In searching the internet about Hemorrhoids, I found this very good remedy: https://tr.im/HemorrhoidNoMoreOfficial

Note that:

Diarrhea can contribute to hemorrhoid formation because the bowel undergoes pressure strains due to the condition. Undue pressure on the veins that make up internal hemorrhoidal structures can worsen existing damage. Internal hemorrhoids are not visible, unless they proplapse (protrude) from the anus, either constantly or during a bowel movement. If this is the case, then you have a grade III or IV internal hemorrhoid. If the protrusion is on the anal verge or the area surrounding the anus, then its likely an external hemorrhoid. Reducing pressure from issues of diarrhea and constipation will help. Not straining during a bowel movement, not lifting heavy objects, not sitting for extended periods, all will help.

Source(s):

https://tr.im/HemorrhoidNoMoreOfficial

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I am doing really awesome now going to the toilet with no hemorrhoids or fear of pain and bleeding whatsoever. I have battled with severe fissures as well for many years and this tips were a real god. I would recommend anyone suffering from either hemorrhoids or piles or all types of fissures to give your program a try https://tr.im/CureForHemorrhoids

Note that:

Diarrhea can contribute to hemorrhoid formation because the bowel undergoes pressure strains due to the condition. Undue pressure on the veins that make up internal hemorrhoidal structures can worsen existing damage. Internal hemorrhoids are not visible, unless they proplapse (protrude) from the anus, either constantly or during a bowel movement. If this is the case, then you have a grade III or IV internal hemorrhoid. If the protrusion is on the anal verge or the area surrounding the anus, then its likely an external hemorrhoid. Reducing pressure from issues of diarrhea and constipation will help. Not straining during a bowel movement, not lifting heavy objects, not sitting for extended periods, all will help.

Source(s):

https://tr.im/CureForHemorrhoids

• 1 decade ago

The best way to get rid of rats without poisoning them

is to get a domestic cat or the small breed terrier dog known as Jack russel.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

If your kid resists making use of the potty chair or toilet or isn't getting the hang of it? If you are sick of dirty diapers? If you exhausted from small accidents? Then discover how to very best train your little one with this system https://tr.im/wrro7

Designed to assist anybody with a youthful toddler and essentially help the toddler too, this program is made for patient readers who wish to see their youngster excel, and for men and women who have a powerful and loving bond with their kid. If you are fast to temper, or don’t really feel that you have time to dedicate 3 days to potty coaching, then you will possibly not be suited to this! By following Carol’s advice, you could have your youngster potty qualified in a prolonged weekend.

Order Start Potty Training so that you can appreciate the positive aspects of possessing a completely potty trained and independent little one inside just a number of days.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with one of your yahoo answers here, Jack Russel Terrier, they are major at this! I've seen them get to work on rats. My brother has a really feisty one and it even catches mice!!!! They are small enough to get where the rats are and they are keen little dogs, you have 5 dogs anyway, another one wouldn't hurt and you'd get rid of your rats and mice and rabbits (altho rabbits are cute)...

• 1 decade ago

Get Bedding From A Ferrite ,Put It In The Rat Area.

• 1 decade ago

Difficult. You need to make sure there is no food to attract them, and make sure there is no access to your property. Any holes should be stopped with mortar reinforced with chicken wire, regular inspections of possible entry points, possible use of "Renardine" (thats a foul smelling liquid that even dogs won't go near). Have 6 dogs and have a little ratting terrier

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.