Why does my computer keep randomly shutting down?

I am gettting realy upset about this. It is incredibly agrivating and I don't know how to fix it. I might have a virus or something but everytime I try to scan the computer for one it shuts down. It always shuts off without warning and I can't do anything to fix it. If someone has had this problem before or something similar to it can you please help me. It might stay on long enough to try something else. Please Help!!!!!

shut it down- then restart it- then as it starts to boot= click F8 key, then use the arrows to move to safe mode then click enter key. from there run your anti virus scan again. but first= disable system restore-from control panel. this is where the virus's hide from removal. after you scan and remove it= restore system restore. and then restart your pc. you should be fine after this. good luck.

I guess your system's got a bug .

There are a few things i suggest :

1. Start it in safemode , see if it works fine ,if it does then fix it with the Operating System cd , or try reinstalling the OS .

2. If 1. dosent work then try Formating your harddrive and reinstall OS, i am sure this should work .

3.If 2 dosent work , then perhaps there can be a hardware issue , so juz check the Microprocessor Fan if its working fine , as over heating can result into that behavior .

4.if 3 dosent work then check your UPS (the stabilizer *** backup device) if thats faulty .

5.if 4 doesnt work then there is a possibility of your SMPS ie the power supply of your system may have developed some fault .

6.if 5 doesnt work then you need an computer expert to diagnose it ...

Cheers !!

Source(s): Electronics Engineer, with working knoledge of PC's .

Probably heat related. Check the air flow, and check for dust bunnies. If found, get rid of them. They are evil. If you are comfortable, test the output on the power supply with a meter. If your PSU is serving up dirty (or bad) voltage, you will have problems. If you think it's the electrical in the room, try using it somewhere else, even another house for a while, and see if the problem persists. Also check the event viewer for any errors that may help lead to the reason. If it is not heat related and it is a program or service, the event viewer is where you will find it. Get to it by: Right click My computer Manage Event Viewer Focus on the System and Application logs. Look for the Warnings(yellow) and Error(red) logs, note the time to see if it coincides with when the PC shutdown on its own or rebooted on its own. I've fixed many a problems troubleshooting with the event viewer. Good Luck

I'm going to agree with two previous answers: clean out your machine. It's more than likely over heating. Google software called speedfan. Speedfan takes information that is there, and makes it available to you. It'll tell you the temperature of computer internals.

I haven't encountered entire shut-down issues very often, they're usually just restart. If it's just shutting down entirely then my next tip isn't valid. If it's restarting you can change it to not restart when windows encounters problems.

It's most likely a virus, so I recommend scanning for viruses in safe mode as suggested, but if it turns out to not be virus-related it could be due to overheating. Make sure all of your fans are working, unplug the computer and vaccuum the dust out, make sure all of your extra bays and pci slots have their covers.

first, clean out your computer especially your fans and heatsinks for any dusts and dirt that may have accumulated and may have been the reason for possible overheating problem. if you can, try applying a new layer of thermal paste too onto your processor if it requires one. then try booting up your computer again.

if the shut downs still occur, try running the computer in safe mode and run the security scan from there. make sure that all definitions are updated.

One common reason for ramdom reboots is CPU overheating due to a build-up of dirt, dust, pet hair, cig smoke, reefer residue, etc. that is clogging the cooling fan(s) and heat sink. Very common if the computer is a few years old.

However, there are many other reasons.

try running virus scan from Safe Mode and see if that helps. right before you first see windows logo when booting, press the F8 key and then choose Safe Mode. choose the administrator account

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 during windows boot. Run Hijackthis and delete any unknown entries then boot again into safe mode and run a virus scan. should be fixed after that. Ps. you should safely be able to delete all entries in hijack this. Computer should run faster too. If nothing works, time to backup and format/re-install.

• Spock

Check out the other answers on "overheating", dirty cpu cooling fan,etc.---- most likely cause.

+++Spock+++