What information is a previous employer legally allowed to release regarding your employment with them?

This question applies to the state of California. I have been told that employers are only allowed to confirm dates of employment, nothing more, such as the nature of your departure from the company. I want to know if this is true, and to what extent. The reason for asking this question is, I want to know... show more This question applies to the state of California.

I have been told that employers are only allowed to confirm dates of employment, nothing more, such as the nature of your departure from the company. I want to know if this is true, and to what extent.

The reason for asking this question is, I want to know whether or not the fact I was fired from a company will hinder my future employment.