Cashiers: Anyone have rude customer stories and advice on how to deal with them?

I've worked at Loblaws for 4 months a year ago and just recently at Metro and I am still shocked that such rude people exist in the world. I have so many stories I don't even know where to start. I've just had a VERY rough day with rude customer after rude customer yet I still said "thank you" and "have a good day/night" so if you are about to say it was because I was rude, well..then just don't comment. I'd love to hear some of your stories because...well...misery loves company. also, how do you deal without completely breaking down right there at the cash? suggestions? tips?

Favorite Answer

Yeah, most of my job experience has been as a cashier for various stores and it is very frustrating having to deal with some of the customers. The one thing I really hate is when they come into the store and then try to proceed to tell you how to do your job. I hate that. I could definately see the different personality types that people have whenever I was on a cashier job. I could tell that some are probably micromanagers in their own jobs because they would knit-pick every step I took in processing their transaction. I had to tell one lady that I had been doing such and such a job for so long that I knew what I was doing and she didn't have to keep reminding me about every little thing. And then when the order was done, I thought she was satisfied, but she left the line and then started checking her receipt just to see if she could catch a mistake. She really turned me off that day. It's people like that who actually cause you to screw up whatever you are doing because they are so insistent on you getting everything correct. Coffee shops provided very bad cashiering experiences for me because those "regular" customers are extrememly rude about getting their coffee just the way they want it and they will hover over the counter to see how it is being done. I really hated that. My worst experience as a cashier was a few months ago. A guy came up to the line with a couple of family members or friends and instead of waiting in the line, he proceeds to go to customer service and start harassing the attendant at that desk as to whether or not she was available to take his purchases. Now, he was a regular customer so he knew where the regular line started but because he didn't want to wait, he decided to rush ahead to the customer service area, where returns are mostly done. So when I heard him harassing the attendant, I said to him "Sir, the line starts down at this end" meaning where myself and another cashier were helping customers. Well, he was incensed that I told him where he could wait and he thought I had a rude tone to my voice, which I really don't think I did. I just told him in a non-apologetic way. Well, he proceeded to try to tell me off and "put me in my place" for the next couple of minutes while his friends or family members just stood there listening to him carry on. He then had the audacity to say that the store trained its employees to act the way I had acted and if I talked like that, then I should expect to get a reaction like the one he gave me. The other cashier who was next to me was completely disgusted by him becasue she knew that I hadn't done anything wrong. I was tempted to call the manager and let him continue his complaint with the manager but I got through the transaction and he went about his way. But I was angry for about a day after the incident.

I can relate to you because I am a college student also and beside working for my dad I do odd jobs to make extra money, like puppy sitting, dog walking, cashiering and tutoring. Some people are just ignorant and rude and I have learn to ignore them and I do so with a smile. Sometimes I tell them "sorry you feel that way about me, but I rather double check my math than give you the wrong change" and then I let them berate and vent - most walk away looking very stupid to me. Someone that is 40 should realize that someone that is 20 is learning about life and they are not setting good examples. If I've really had enough, I will say, "it's not easy being new at a job but I hope the next time you come in I'll be better, have a nice day sir/madam". Do not allow ignorance to make you want to quit your job, if you were a brain surgeon this person would still have found some reason to attempt to put you down - it's his need to feel better than you and he obviously was never young or had to learn anything. His mom must be proud she gave birth to an adult son fully loaded. Also, remember anytime you have to deal with the public you can expect to get pooped on - but remember not to behave like them, I have so much more respect for people who work in restaurants or other support jobs - and laugh because there are a lot of intelligent people working at such jobs.

You are doing a great job. It sounds like what your doing is good. People just choose to take out their anger people that are defenseless. I've seen it just a week ago, a very bossy lady who seemed upset about life in the line up at a grocery story. Telling the cashier and bag person what to do, where to put things in a very demanding voice. They've got issues, just be as kind as you can under the circumstance. It might brighten their day. You may change a life.

• Choqs

Personally the only job where I've worked as a cashier had very strict policies on employee abuse. We were not expected to put up with rude behaviour, foul language or raised voices. We were to call a manager over anytime there was any sort or rudeness, it simply was not tolerated.

The worst experience I had was when I worked for a courier service. I answered phones and one afternoon a tornado hit the city. No one knew at the time that was what it was. When a driver reported a hail stone the size of a baseball had come through his windshield we ordered all our drivers off the road and find shelter.

This was a Fri. afternoon and areas that were not affected could not understand what was going on. I was yelled at to the point I was ready to lose it. Finally I got a call from a lawyer who ripped my head off when I told him some "time sensitive" documents were not going to delivered on time to be filed at the courthouse. He was so rude I finally told him, "My drivers are not about to risk their lives for your darn (not quite) documents." and then hung up. I was so angry.

On the following Monday when people knew the extent of the tornado (27 dead, countless injured), one of the first calls I received was from that very same lawyer apologizing profusely for his behaviour. Funny thing, the only customer I WAS rude to was the who called back and offered an apology for yelling at ME. Aren't human's funny.

Be polite when you meet them. Act like you were waiting for them and are really happy to see them, but make sure it's not overly fake and put on. Don't really bother them or go up to them for about a minute or two, I as a customer prefer to be left alone at first. Or get it over and done with ASAP, whichever is your style.

Yes, say thankyou, goodnight, etc. Be polite, very polite and kind, and they'll slowly turn. Trust me, I once had to deal with a really b***** one, I was polite, calm, I smiled, and I spoke respectfully and she came back later and she started to treat me nicely.

Learn to be assertive and kind of a jerk, but WITH A SMILE!! It confuses them...

I have a MILLION stories of rude customers but as long as you KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS you win!!

When you clock out, leave your work baggage at work. Retail sucks.. I just recently quit altogether, got a loan for school, and will NEVER have to deal with customers again. 9 non-stop years of HELL! Smiling, pretending you care, and apologizing for things you have nothing to do with!

Take it one day at a time and take NOTHING personally!!

Source(s): 9 years of retail

OMG I was a waitress for a long time and I was amazed by the number of full grown adults who didn't know how to say, "thank you". I'd bring them something and they wouldn't even acknowledge me.

Or how about when you go up to a table of two or three and pause before asking for their order, to give them time to wrap up their conversation, and they just keep on talking and let you stand there!!!!

Or they say, "Bring me...Give me..." instead of asking nicely!!

Or when you're equally kind to the man and woman in a couple, but the woman gives you evil eye like you want her man.

Say it with me...The customer is NOT always right.

When they are rude to you, just say "How come you can be rude to me, but I can't be rude to you" They can't very well complain about that to your boss and if the did, well, your boss should ask them, why were you rude to him/her. It works. A lot of the people apologise to you for being rude

Once, when I worked in retail, we had a rude customer in our store.

The store manager asked the customer to step outside, pointed down the street and said, "Sir, there's Adray's, please go shop there". . .

(Seemed much funnier at the time . . .)

My suggestion is to smile. Kill them with kindness. Maybe they will brighten up and not be so cranky!