POLL: Do you know why the wedding ring is worn on the 4th finger?

The thumb= parents

Index=siblings

Middle=yourself

Ring=life partner

Little=your children

First, open your palms, face to face, bend the middle fingers and hold them together, back to back.

Second, open and hold the remaining three fingers and the thumb, tip to tip.

Now, try to separate your thumbs (=parents). They will open,parents are not destined to live with you lifelong,They leave you sooner or later.Please join your thumbs as before and separate your index fingers (representing siblings). They will also open,brothers and sisters will have their own,families,their own separate lives.

Now, join the index fingers and separate your little fingers (representing your children). They will open, too, children get married and on their own someday.

Finally, join your little fingers, and try to separate your ring fingers (representing your spouse). You will be surprised to see that you just CANNOT separate them because husband and wife are to remain together.

The Question is Do you know why the ring finger is called the wedding ring finger?

When done correctly it is impossible to separate the two ring fingers.

hold out your hands , palm to palm, now touch all finger tips together, now slide the middle finger of your right hand under the middle finger on your left hand while keeping the other four finger tips touching, now only try to separate the thumbs, ok, now the little fingers, now the index fingers, NOW try to separate the ring fingers...

Mind Blowing!!! A star from me.

On a lighter vein, shouldn't divorced people be annoyed by this? I mean, there ring fingers must have separated! Just kidding, though.

Great experience for me from this question.

• SusanB

Penny, I like your example & I have heard it before, but the more common explaination that I have heard is that they used to think that finger had a direct connection to the heart.

Here's some reference material that I found.

Before medical science discovered how the circulatory system functioned, people believed that a vein of blood ran directly from the third finger on the left hand to the heart. Because of the hand-heart connection, they chose the descriptive name vena amori, Latin for the vein of love, for this particular vein.

Based upon this name, their contemporaries, purported experts in the field of matrimonial etiquette, wrote that it would only be fitting that the wedding ring be worn on this finger. By wearing the ring on the third finger of the left hand, a married couple symbolically declares their eternal love for each other.

It was King Edward VI of England who decreed that the third finger of the left hand be designated as the "official" ring finger and, in 1549, the Book of Common Prayer sealed the deal with the designation of the left hand as the marriage hand. Despite the designations, in many European countries brides wear their wedding rings on the right hand.

I've heard it's because a long-held belief that the finger in question is directly connected to the heart, by way of the vascular system. Not very scientific. But, certainly romantic.

nice one!=)

what i have learned from my biology teacher when we had the lesson on nervous system (which includes our veins and other vessels), is that our "ring finger" is the only finger directly connected to our heart. She also added; that is the reason behind why we call it ring finger. It's because it represents 'love' or something connected to your heart...^^

so it is where a wedding ring is placed, which symbolizes the couple's love for each other...

great day!

I found it hard to put my fingers back to back like you asked, but I understand what you said. Husbands and wives are supposed to stay together, and in God's eyes, they do, even if they get divorced, like my parents did. I always thought that it was because the vein in that finger was related to the vein in your physical heart too.

Very Good post....I still don't know why it is called the ring finger...When I 1st got married yrs back,,I held out the ring finger on my right hand,so I really wasn't married...was I??

I have/had many pix of it...

My mom told me because the vein from the ring finger goes straight to the heart...but I like your post too.

• Nico

Yes I knew that but my ring fingers separated just fine.

I knew that one.But we beleive that finger has a vein connected straight to our hearts thats we finally get a ring in it.

Source(s): M

I HOPE THIS IS NOT GOING TO END UP WITH THE HOLY TRINITY, FINGER 1- GOD THE FATHER, 2- THE SON, AND

3- THE HOLY GHOST OR SPIRIT,THUS THE RING FINGER.