How Often Do You Buy CDs by Bands/Artists You've Never Heard?

Do you ever buy a band's/artist's album(s) without having ever heard any of their songs, or do you have to have heard at least some of their material before you'll fork over the cost of the CD? If you do, what is it that compels you to buy those CDs, and what was the last such CD you bought, and how... show more Do you ever buy a band's/artist's album(s) without having ever heard any of their songs, or do you have to have heard at least some of their material before you'll fork over the cost of the CD?

If you do, what is it that compels you to buy those CDs, and what was the last such CD you bought, and how well did taking the chance on it work out for you?

For me, I do it often enough, although not as often as I used to. Most of the it's time because of a recommendation someone gives me, or because the band in question is generally well thought of. On rare occasions, I'll just take a chance on someone I've never heard of, or get the album because of the label it's on.
Update: The best example or this type of buying working out for me was when I saw "The End of History" by Fionn Regan in a record shop sometime in '06. I hadn't heard of him, but the cover caught my eye, and I noticed that he was on Damien Rice's label, Heffa, so I got the album, and it's now one... show more The best example or this type of buying working out for me was when I saw "The End of History" by Fionn Regan in a record shop sometime in '06. I hadn't heard of him, but the cover caught my eye, and I noticed that he was on Damien Rice's label, Heffa, so I got the album, and it's now one of my all-time favourites.

Morning Darth, although it's already the afternoon here :)
Update 2: Hey Sookie, thanks. I should be studying for my exams right now, which started on Friday, but I'm too easily distracted, as you can see :P Like you, I think it is the case that with bills and my college fees and such, I can't really afford to take any chances on CDs, lol. Hope you're having a less... show more Hey Sookie, thanks. I should be studying for my exams right now, which started on Friday, but I'm too easily distracted, as you can see :P
Like you, I think it is the case that with bills and my college fees and such, I can't really afford to take any chances on CDs, lol.
Hope you're having a less boring weekend than me, studying sucks :)
Update 3: Hi Jake. Yeah, I know what you mean, but sometimes you can't resist an impulse buy in a record shop. Especially when putting it off so you can check it out on the web means waiting a week or more until you have another chance to get to the shops.
Update 4: Hey Huevo. Picking up "Surfer Rosa" has got to be one of the best impules buys ever.
Update 5: Hey Mach :) I totally agree with you, the label a band is signed to can be a great way gauge the chance you have of liking them. My favourites would probably be Sub Pop, Asthmatic Kitty, Jagjaguwar... From what I'm seeing here, it seems like the availability of music on the web has played a big part in... show more Hey Mach :)
I totally agree with you, the label a band is signed to can be a great way gauge the chance you have of liking them. My favourites would probably be Sub Pop, Asthmatic Kitty, Jagjaguwar...

From what I'm seeing here, it seems like the availability of music on the web has played a big part in doing away with record store impulse buys. Kind of a shame, although understandable.