Does the earth spin because of the Sun?

The earch spins on it's axis (the north/ south pole). And the equater is the center point between these. It cannot be a coinsidence that it is the equator that faces the sun, so does the Sun make the Earth spin?

Otherwise, if the North pole faced the Sun we wouldn't have any seasons!

(this question was asked before, but not answered properly)

Favorite Answer

Actually, I believe it is a coincidence that this occurs. Because the equator doesn't face the sun at exactly 90 degrees. In fact, the earth is tilted toward and away from the sun depending on its location during the revolution. This is what produces the seasons.

If the the equator were tilted exactly 90 degrees from the sun, the axis would be exactly vertical and the equator would be facing it all year round and we wouldn't have any seasons. The poles would always be cold, and the areas by the equator would always be hot. And North America would always be in a moderate temperature zone.

The equator only faces the sun on two days, the spring and autumn solstices. Other than those days the direct rays of the sun are either north or south of the equator, maxing out at 23.5 degrees North or South. This is a reflection of the tilt of the Earth.

The Earth spins due to the density differences from the surface to the core. The hard iron core of the Earth an outer core have different densities which cause the earth the spin.

Well, it isn't a coincidence, really, but it isn't the sun that causes the rotation axis to be perpendicular (more or less) to the plane of the planets. It has to do with the way that the mass was distributed and collected into planets from the solar disc at the time of formation some 4.5 billion years ago. There was a rotation of material in that disc, so the planets migrate around the sun in the same direction, and the planets spin on their own axis in the same direction, and exist in essentially the same plane (rather than running around the sun in all sorts of different directions and angles).

And one of the planets (i forget which one) is tilted more or less so that one of its poles faces the sun. Another migrates considerably far outside of the sun-planet plane (maybe it is the same one, I can't remember, but now you have made me want to look this stuff up to remind myself and add MORE clutter to the attic of collected information that is my head). I do not think there is one planet that migrates around the sun in the wrong way, but for some reason I wanted to say that.

Now I really do have to look this stuff up or it will bother me all day. you get a star for giving me something to do that isn't writing that report I have to finish this weekend (I was looking for an excuse).

EDIT: Uranus is bent over sidewards (one pole faces the sun). Three planets spin in the opposite direction (retrograde direction), which is the same as saying that they are upside down. Pluto is the "planet" that migrates outside the ecliptic (the sun-planet plane).