Jehovah's Witnesses, please answer my question, Did the Society predict, in 1942 who would win World War 2?

Watchtower, 7/15/60 page 444:

"19 Yes, the “faithful and discreet slave” was awake to the coming of 1914. In 1942 the “faithful and discreet slave” guided by Jehovah’s unerring spirit made known that the democracies would win World War II and that there would be a United Nations organization set up. Such wakefulness was concerning events that unerringly took place three years later. At the 1958 Divine Will International Assembly amazing advance information in connection with Daniel’s prophecy was given about events to occur in the immediate future. Such evidence of spiritual foresight is recorded for us in the book “Your Will Be Done on Earth.” Once again the “faithful and discreet slave” has been tipped off ahead of time for the guidance of all lovers of God. Surely one’s present security depends on his staying awake with the “faithful and discreet slave.”

Yes or no? How about an answer?

We know that there were published reports about the UN being formed as early as 1939.

Update:

The claim of predicting the formation of the UN is false.

What about the WW2 claim?

Update 2:

ABDIJAH: The US State Department was using the term United Nations as early as 1939. Franklin Roosevelt said in a radio speech on Jan 2, 1942 that they were forming a new organization, the United Nations. The Society did not predict it. It had been talked about publically since 1939. the Society did not apply this scripture to the League of Nations before 1942. After they realized that the UN would replace it than they came up with the application you quote.

The intent to form the UN was public knowledge.

StillNothing about the allies winning WW2.

Update 3:

ABDIJAH: What publication are you quoting? I own or have access to all 1942 publications. Which one do you quote.

Incidentally your context point is baloney. In most cases the context can later be interpreted to prove any point.

They make no direct prediction.

Update 4:

All these predictions about the King of the North and the King of the South, Anglo-American World power were all made after the fact.

They did not directly say that the Allies would wim WW2. Also, as I have shown the UN calim is bogus.

Update 5:

ACHTUNG: The Watchtower says: "guided by Jehovah’s unerring spirit made known that the democracies would win World War II and that there would be a United Nations organization set up."

So they "made known" but did not predict or prophesy? Several dictionaries define "prophesy" as "making an outcome known before it happens" and to "predict"

But they didn't predict they just made it known.

Update 6:

ABDIJAH: I have a copy of "Peace – Can it Last,". Page 21 does say what you quote.

The context in no way supports the claim that the society predicted the allies would win WW2.

Update 7:

ABDIJAH: The context is in now way clear on who would win WW2

Also it says on pg 13: "All in all, the trend of the nations is plainly toward the federation of all into a world government that will be stronger than any of its parts, with power to enforce international law and to guarantee peace and security everywhere by an international police."

Do we have "a world government" 66 years later? No, we have many separate nations. So the trend that Knorr spoke about wasn't plain and didn't happen.

Again, if you read into the context that the Society said the Allies would win WW2, that's you problem.

The enitre text of this booklet is at:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/booklets/peace.ht...

Look it up for yourself.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

the reading of your quotes I would say false! The cult has a way of always trying to change their history by hiding false prophesies!

• maffia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

for any accessible who're reading, with the aid of fact the fella who wrote the question does not easily need the respond, NO we did no longer comprehend who might win. why might WE? we DID comprehend, inspite of the incontrovertible fact that, that there replaced into going to be a extensive advance interior the preaching artwork. subsequently nathan knorr prepare the watchtower bible college, aka. gilead. do all of us comprehend each and every little thing? nope. or we'd'a' have been given the powerball numbers final night, comprehend wahta mean? hmmmm???? back to seriousness. the df'd ones right here, such with the aid of fact the fella who published this, are indignant approximately some thing. what? i dont do techniques reading or seances, the two. he's mad for what's in HIS techniques a reason. he had an argument, and it replaced into no longer responded to 'his' delight. i'm sorry. that happens. specially situations the respond is -- i do no longer comprehend -- yet, human beings do unlike that. soooooo we guess. whilst IS ARMAGEDDON COMING? ? ? i dont comprehend. nicely, tell ME besides ! ! ! uhhh. i'm a theoretical mathematician. no longer a techniques reader. easily i do no longer examine jehovah's techniques. i DO examine his e book that asserts --- NO guy is accustomed to THE DAY OR THE HOUR. and that i am going away it at that. THEN guess ! ! ! ! ! uhhh. nicely, 6000 yrs to a innovative day. adam replaced into maximum possibly created in 4026 bc. sooo, it does no longer be in the past 1975, this is for confident. YAAAYYY !!!!! i comprehend whilst ARMAGEDDON IS COMING. this is 1975 ! ! !! that aint what i stated. loooong plaintive sigh. right here we bypass back. ================== in any case, this is how those issues start up. fi the fella who published the humorous stuff above relatively relatively relatively needs an answer, he can ask a civil question and that i or somebody tremendously much as lovable as me may well be happy to respond to. yet, i aint protecting my breath. no longer that many lovable as me. my mom says so. gramps :-)

• 1 decade ago

The term "predict" is unwarranted, but Jehovah's Witnesses certainly did and do understand the bible to teach that Nazism and Fascism could not win the second World War and that Britain and the United States would take the lead in establishing a reconstituted organization of nations (later named the United Nations).

Nathan H. Knorr delivered the address ironically entitled "Peace-Can it Last?" on September 20, 1942; tens of thousands of copies were distributed immediately thereafter as a special convention release. The talk was and is jaw-dropping in explaining how bible prophecy would be fulfilled during the next few years.

Although the talk was delivered 65 years ago (less than a year after Pearl Harbor), a good quality recording is available for download in MP3 format. These two links are the identical file, so please do not download both; these links will expire about January 17, 2008 (or when bandwidth has been exceeded).

http://download.yousendit.com/AB23CD4A224E5086

http://download.yousendit.com/99C1B0C77A15B46C

The file is also available to Witness and non-Witness members of the Yahoo Group "JWTalks", which is NOT officially associated with Jehovah's Witnesses.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jwtalks/

http://jwproclaimers.org/Files/DC/1950s/Knorr%20Na...

Learn more:

http://watchtower.org/e/20040401/article_02.htm

http://watchtower.org/e/20010701/article_01.htm

http://watchtower.org/e/20051001/article_01.htm

• 1 decade ago

The question includes this comment and question:

"The claim of predicting the formation of the UN is false.

What about the WW2 claim?"

THE UN claim is NOT false. Note this quotation from 1942:

"Though forty members still profess to adhere to the League, the League is in effect in a state of suspended animation, and needs to be revived if it is ever to live again. It has gone into the abyss of inaction and ineffectiveness. It "is not".

Will the League remain in the pit? Again the Word of God gives answer: "The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and is about to come up out of the abyss, and to go into perdition. And they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, they whose name hath not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast, how that he was, and is not, and shall be present." (Revelation 17:8, Am. Rev. Ver., margin) The association of worldly nations will rise again." – Peace – Can it Last, 1942, page 21.

That same publication, not in a single sentence, but as a whole, indicates the democratic nations must win in order for the prophecies concerning the Kings of the North and South to be fulfilled.

EDITED: I am quoting – "Peace – Can it Last," 1942, page 21.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Looks to be so....I Can read and it is right there .....I love this part..."guided by Jehovah's unerring spirit".....LOL....Is It possable to read such a thing and claim...1..that they never said that they are God's prophet...and 2....that they are still guided by "Jehovah's unerring spirit"?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.