T-Bone
T-Bone asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Should a valid photo ID be required to be shown before voting? Why or Why Not?

Since the Democrat challange to Indiana's voter Id law has been debunked?

http://www.kpcnews.com/articles/2008/01/09/news/to...

Voter cited by opponents of Indiana's ID law registered in two states

One of the individuals used by opponents to the law as an example of how the law hurts older Hoosiers is registered to vote in two states.

While I agree that it might be unconstitutional to deny someone the right to vote based on not having an ID......I think that some form of identification (preferably a state/federal issued picture id) is necessary. Otherwise it would be too easy to just vote as someone else. If I think about it enough I believe that most every time I've voted I've had to provide some form of ID. And I've lived and voted in WI, MN, NY, NH and MD. It did not always have to be a picture ID.

The arguement that it might preclude those who don't drive etc from voting doesn't hold water for me. I didn't have a driver's license until I was 25....but before that I had a state issued ID card (same as a DL only not eligible for driving) from the time I was about 17. The cost at the time was maybe $25.

Well, those kinds of laws aren't needed--all states already repuire voders to have identification. That's one little fact the proponents of these laws don't mention. And there is no evidence--anywhere, in any state--that there is a problem with voter fraud. A lot of talk---but no EVIDENCE. However--there's nothing wrong with the idea in principle, even though it isn't's unnecessary. But--these laws, time after time, have been written in a way that makes it more difficult for minorities, the poor, and senior citizens to vote. Also, they've been written in such a way as to require people to pay fo rthe ID in order to vote--in effect, a poll tax (and don't claim that's not really what it is--under the law, any fee that must be paid in order to vote is a poll tax and is prohibited). Those things are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Period. That's why laws written that way are being challenged--and thrown out by the courts. It'sa funny thing--the people pushing these laws are the anti-immigrant types wo keep screaming about "enforcing the law"--yet what they are doing is trying to BREAK the law--the highest law in the laand. So much for their fake "respect for the law."

If this is validated then what is to say we won't have to pay to vote. This can lead to a lot bigger and horrible issues. Just because someone has no photo ID means nothing, they still have the right to vote.

My daughter has a valid drivers license, is registered to vote in two states, but has enough ethics to know you only vote in one state.,

Again this is an honesty question.

it will almost certainly come to this.

Remember when the constitution was written, only white male landowners could vote, and more often than not, the voters and precinct officials knew each other (much closer community in those days, also a lot less voters).

Now with the sheer number of voters and possibility of fraud - voting in more than one precinct or state and voting by non-citizens, tough enforcement standards must be put in place.

• Max50

How else the dead going to vote in IL?

A free government ID to verify that person is who he says they are is opposed by one party the DNC.

I like to know why?

It would elimate a lot of consiparcy claims of those who vote are either dead or don't even live in that district.

Yes, I believe so. It prevents people from voting for someone else (the elderly or deceased, for example) and each person is only entitled to one vote. There is no reason any adult in the US should be without identification.

Absolutely...the signitures on ID and voter info must match. I live in Fl. and they ID me, and when I lived in NY they did it there also.

I can't understand the reasoning not to ID someone. ID's are stolen all the time.

You can't require a photo ID to vote. The U.S. Constitution makes clear who is eligible to vote. If someone is denied the right to vote based on anything that's not in the Constitution (like denying someone for not having ID), it violates the rules set up in the Constitution.

Proponents of such laws bluster on about the dead voting, etc, but have little to no evidence to back up their claims either.

personally i am against id of any kind so - no