Lv 7
. asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 1 decade ago

How difficult is it to learn how to play Poker?

Do you need to be good at sums?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Steve
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's easy to learn how to play poker.

It's hard to learn HOW to play poker.

The game itself is pretty easy. You try to make the best hand.

But the hard part is trying to figure out what the other guy has as well as make him believe you have something you don't. Whether it be you have a good hand but you want to show weakness so he bets more, or you have a really bad hand but you want to make him fold by thinking you have a great hand.

• 1 decade ago

It all depends on the type of poker you want to learn. Most variants are fairly simple to learn and some are harder.

Mathematics is a must if you want to be a Very Good player. You have to learn to work out your odds - either for the card(s) you need or what pot odds your getting.

With Texas Hold'em now being the most popular and one of the easiest to learn this is the game I assume you mean.

Playing this variant can be learned in minutes online, I think yahoo has a poker game tucked away somewhere - start there.

All the big Poker sites have most variants of the game and all should be available to play with "Toy Money".

Hope this helps.

p.s.

DONT SWIM THE FISHES!!!!

• 1 decade ago

Its not hard at all and you definately dont need to be good at sums. I have added a link below to a site with loads of poker articles and videos, you should check it out

http://www.onlinepoker.weebly.com

• 1 decade ago

The basic game is very easy to learn. The skill lies in being able to bluff with a straight face and more important an ability to work out the odds of certain cards being dealt.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No not really. All you need is basically to know what cards are and what good hands are. Now if you wanted to count cards then thats a different story but thats too complicated. But to play poker you dont use that much math except for chip.

• 1 decade ago

No, I'd suggest playing some beginner games, maybe try something online (partypoker, pokerstars or something - I think a few of them have tutorials).

Beginners have a tendency to win a lot. This is because they don't fundamentally understand all the plays and the odds of each, so you will bet erratically with people unable to guess your hand. When I played quite a few games, I actually started playing badly, because what's at stake sinks in so you start to play a slightly more predictable game.

• 1 decade ago

It's not hard to learn how to play. You can learn in 10 minutes.

What's difficult is to learn to play well. For that you need to be able to memorize odds. Being able to read people helps, too.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

poker is actually easy to learn, but can be hard to play!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A quick logical brain is essential.

Card playing background is helpful.

Psychology of people is useful also.

Still fancy your chances ?

THEN there is LADY LUCK to beat.

LEARN to WALK beofre you run if trying this brilliant game

Source(s): LOTS of Experience
  • robber
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It's not difficult at all.

Unless, you're playing "Strip Poker."

Then, things can and, usually do get hard!!!!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.