How fast can a moped/scooter go?

Can someone please tell me how fast a 50cc or a 125cc scooter go? Thanks :-)

Thanks to The Tank for the info xx

Favorite Answer

Judging from the firs two answers, I must be way off. I always thought a Moped would do about 30 mph on flat ground. 50 to 60, maybe I should look into getting one.

On second thought, maybe not. That's too fast for such a small machine. (my opinion)

:)

You can ride a a 250 with L plates but the machines are not called 250cc's they are called 125cc, and when you past your full test or restricted access test you may de restrict the engine, not all 125cc motorbikes are 250cc machines only selected models that cost £700/800 more to buy than a standard 125cc, like the Yamaha XVS Dragstar 125 that is really a 250. Since the law changed in 1983 saying that all learner legal motorbikes have to be 125''s instead of 250cc, it does not mean you cannot ride a motorbike a 250cc motorbike , but you cannot ride it full power. The 250 learner legal bikes up until 1983 was really 350's dressed up as 250cc and when you past your full teat you could de restrict the motorbike to full power 106mph 350, but it was too dangerous in the end as new health and safety laws suggested the only way to update the new laws was to restrict all learner motorbike to 125cc with a maximum engine sized restricted of a 250cc motorbike , makes common sense because if someone did derestrict there machine today but would only be derestricted to 85 estimated mph instead of 106 mph in the olden days. 500 cc motorbikes became 250s a few years ago because there was no market for 250cc bikes since 1983 when the 125cc fad started., so many 500cc bikes are really only 250cc in power but oversized for better durability. So it would be common sense to just buy a restricted 250cc called a "125" Other 125cc's that are really 250's are the Honda VT shadow 125, A 125 is really a 60mph machine but mostly sold as 150/175 machines because the law allows slightly more than 60mph (67.5mph) that's a 167cc infact,. a Top speed of 73 mph is the most learner legal can ride, and that's a average speed of 60mph, it may reach a top speed of 73mph but it will decline from that speed very quickly after about 10 seconds, and are not designed to hold that speed over distance. Going over a average speed of 60mph(1-mile per minute) is illegal on L plates

Realistic speeds here; I have 50cc, 80cc, 150cc, and 588cc scooters:

All with average sized riders

50cc, with not modifications... 35mph max

80cc, also stock... 35-40mph, basically just handles hills a little better than the 50cc

125cc & 150cc... both pretty much top out at 55-58mph

250cc... 65-80mph

588cc ... 100+ mph

wind plays a direct role on speeds as does inclines, naturally how well the scooter is maintained, engine and CVT are big factors as well

just an add to tank, you can't drive a 50cc anymore with a car licence, that law thank god has been dropped. as far as the idiot about slow scooters, not that they are my cup of tea but the maxi scooters at around 500-600 cc I believe will go a bit faster than 60mph and won't be very slow.

the word scooter is such a vague describtion as is motor bike

A Moped is a different vehicle in Law and in design from a Scooter. I'm not nit-picking, please read on.

A moped is rather like a motorised pedal cycle and can be propelled by pedal power as well by the engine. They are limited to a 50cc engine and 30mph top speed.

You can ride a moped on a standard (full) car driving licence.

It is illegal to ride a moped onto a motorway.

A scooter is legally a motorcycle and you must have a motorcycle licence to drive one. They are frequently 2 seaters and most have engines up to 200cc. The top speed can be around 50mph for most models.

Although it is legal to take most scooters onto a motorway it would be rather silly. They are inherently unstable vehicles and passing high speed traffic would cause dangerous wobbling.

• Tara

My friend bought a 50cc scooter, and it went 40mph with me on it (i'm 165 lbs). He took it to the shop and got it tuned up and now it goes a little faster. Generally though, the 50cc's will go anywhere from 30-40 on a flat surface.

A 50cc will do between 30 and 45 MPH. A 125cc will do between 50 and 70 MPH.

In the UK and most of europe, a moped is resticted to 56KM/h about 30MPH.

An unrestricted 50cc could reach around 45 Mph.

An unrestricted 125cc 55-60Mph.

Race tuned 125cc - around 80mph, the 125cc Grand Prix is great fun to watch.

Learner Legal 125cc in the UK are power restricted.

Source(s): My C90 would do around 55mph flat out.

I just recently sold my 125cc scooter and had no problem reaching 110 km/h on highway. It depends how heavy and tall your are.

my son had 63mph out of his moped {gilera 50cc thing} and has the speeding ticket to proove it, now he has no licience and can do 20 on the push bike